• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Things are changing for the better.

KB21

I didn't see this posted when I looked earlier, so forgive me if I overlooked this link in another thread.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/06/26/atlanta-hawks-co-owner-bruce-levenson-q-and-a/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks

Q. You mentioned facilities as one of them. Also, basketball operations–

A. “Analytitcs. There is a new wave of analytics sweeping over us. There is new investments in sports medicine and sports science that need to be made. There’s a whole litany that can be done from a player-development standpoint, such as an affiliation with a D-League team. These are just some of the things that we have talked about and he has shown me why they are all important, why they are all part of building something enduring here.”

“We had hurdles to overcome to get Danny to come here. Not just because of some of the missteps that we’ve made but also because he and his family were in a great position in San Antonio. He turned down other opportunities to leave and teams were knocking at his door.

“We had dozens of meetings–Rick, my partners, Michael [Gearon Jr.] and Ed [Peskowitz]. For every question we asked [Ferry], he asked 10 of us. Danny challenged us to make sure of our commitment. To make sure my heart is in this. To make sure we all invest of our time and our money to build an enduring, championship organization.

“He wanted commitments from us to increase our investments in our facilities, in our sports medicine and science, in analytics and, most importantly, in our player development. We said yes, yes and yes.”

I am ecstatic about the new focus on analytics, sports science, sports medicine, and player development.

I understand if some want to take a wait and see attitude with this, but if things work out they way they are talking, the Atlanta Hawks have just hit a gold mine.

• Like 1

I agree KB. What Levenson is saying is qualitatively different from the half-truths Gearon would come out with.From my take, the 100 hours of conversation Levenson had with Ferry really showed Levenson there is a different approach that can be taken to running an NBA team. That approach can build a winning program ala SA and OKC.The gorrilla in the room is that both SA and OKC have MVP type players. The Hawks don't have a guy that can even get in the MVP discussion. The system that Ferry will put in place should help the team get better players, but until the team gets a top-tier player, we aren't going to be champs. However, at this point I would take getting out of the 2nd round as a significant achievement.

• Premium Member

This is the right culture we need to have. Better late than never!

^^THIS.I have been saying for almost 2 decades that we need a culture change. It's time for us to stop being just fodder for the elites and irrelevant in discussions about marquee players and post season performances. It's time that we stop being a laughing stock and start being a REAL team.However....I am still going to hold my enthusiasm, until I see that first move. That one move that shows everybody that things are indeed going in that direction. When that move is made, and we all know what kind of move that is, then I'm going to get excited. VERY excited.I'm also going to reserve judgement on Ferry until I can see where he's going. Same thing that I did with BK when he stepped in. I'm not going to condemn the man until I see things falling apart and I'm not going to jump up and down until I see something solid happen. Until either of those things happen, I'm going to pretty much give him the benefit of a doubt.
  • Like 1

We may actually develop some credibility now with some Free Agents and I'm not talking the VetMins.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Not exactly jumping for joy but.....I look forward to seeing what may happen.With Sund I already had a good idea.fun having possibilities

• Premium Member

We may actually develop some credibility now with some Free Agents and I'm not talking the VetMins.

This! I am hoping this will be a major change. Im not sure how much influence DF has around the league, but I will say this is the happiest Ive been since the 90s.

^^THIS.

I have been saying for almost 2 decades that we need a culture change. It's time for us to stop being just fodder for the elites and irrelevant in discussions about marquee players and post season performances. It's time that we stop being a laughing stock and start being a REAL team.

However....

I am still going to hold my enthusiasm, until I see that first move. That one move that shows everybody that things are indeed going in that direction. When that move is made, and we all know what kind of move that is, then I'm going to get excited. VERY excited.

I'm also going to reserve judgement on Ferry until I can see where he's going. Same thing that I did with BK when he stepped in. I'm not going to condemn the man until I see things falling apart and I'm not going to jump up and down until I see something solid happen. Until either of those things happen, I'm going to pretty much give him the benefit of a doubt.

It's the exact same sermon I've been preaching since the Roundfield days. It's refreshing to finally have a few more folks in the pew shouting amen other than those in the choir. It is high time for this franchise to stop being the S.D. Jones of the NBA (WWF reference for you youngsters out there), who beat on the jobbers but never come close to getting a pinfall on any of the big boys.

But like you, I will also hold judgment until he proves that he doesn't have the goods. I see folks already debating the merits of the guy and I really don't understand why. I could care less what he did in Cleveland; what he does here is all that should matter to us. Do you think anyone know that Joe Torre had a losing career record as a manager before joining the Yankees?

Edited by Dejay