• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nets and Magic discussing Howard deal per Broussard

Jody23

• Premium Member

Mother of God, what have we done.

It's Broussard, one, and then it's the same offer that the Magic have been balls to the wall ignoring since.

That's a pretty sweet deal for the Magic if it were to happen, especially with the multiple first rounders. Sources were saying yesterday that Josh was pushing hard for Dwight to consider playing in Atlanta long term. However, as a few have been saying, it doesn't appear their friendship is going to have much bearing on this decision. Edited by Jody23

That's a pretty sweet deal for the Magic if it were to happen, especially with the multiple first rounders. Sources were saying yesterday that Josh was pushing hard for Dwight to consider playing in Atlanta long term. However, as a few have been saying, it doesn't appear their friendship is going to have much bearing on this decision.

A bunch of late first 1st, a solid center, a decent PF which would be a backup on the Magic, and a career 6th man in Brooks is not a great deal for Josh Smith much less Dwight Howard.

Posted Image
  • Like 1

Well Magic are at that Hard Place with Dwight. Will depend on if they stick to their principles or just go with the best thing going. Only Houston is going to pony up on a rental and Ferry has already said from the beginning that he doesn't believe that one guy makes a difference so his plan for the future still stands because I never believed for one moment that all these moves were dependent upon Dwight next year. I mean the guy has an extensive interview about avoiding the luxury tax then clears cap and people just assumed for some reason that he'd try and spend like the Heat all of a sudden.

How does the new CBA/luxury tax work?Nets would have 4 contracts that equal approx $70M in Joe Johnson, Dwight Howard, Derron Williams and Gerald Wallace.

Forbes stated yesterday not to worry, that the Nets owner made 40 million in that day alone. Brook is valued at around 10 million and Humphries is easily another 8 so the deal would be cap neutral as far as contracts go and from then on they are committed just like their brethren across the East River and those folk down in Miami.

Actually that is impossible, and besides Lopez and Humps is BYC,I dont that the Magic want to get those type of contracts. I know Orlando is between a wall and a hard place. But you do what best for your team not for one people. Sorry, Dwight you had your chance.

The deal with the Nets doesn't work. Lopez is on his qualifying offer year. Brooks is on his rookie contract. They add up to 5.5 million. Humpries is unsigned. Dwight will make 19.5 mil. Humphries would have to make 7.5 million to make it work at 150%. I can't see the Magic accepting Lopez without a new deal in place. Can't sign and trade 2 players in a trade.

"When a team initiates a sign-and-trade agreement, it must trade the signed player immediately; teams cannot renege on the arrangement and keep the player for themselves, using the other team's financial situation to leverage the signee into a more favorable deal for themselves. Also, the contract signed before the trade must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.

If a newly-signed player is not part of a sign-and-trade, his new team cannot trade him until December 15 of the calendar year in which he was signed or three months after the date on which he signed, whichever arrives later."

Lopez is working on being resigned, is a restricted free agent. Humphries is an unstricted free agent. I just don't understand how you can sign 2 players and trade them. Seems to violate the rule.

• Like 2

The quicker they get this done the better. I am not interested in a million conversations about Dwight and Paul and it is not going to happen to start with. Dwight will end up a Net for a less than sexy package just like the Melo situation. Brooks, Lopez, Hump, picks is just as good as Gallinori, Mozgov, Chandler, etc. especially when you consider Billups was included with Melo. Hell, Brooks, Lopez, Hump and picks is better than that deal because the Magic has nothing as good as Billups to send out with Dwight

Actually that is impossible, and besides Lopez and Humps is BYC,I dont that the Magic want to get those type of contracts. I know Orlando is between a wall and a hard place. But you do what best for your team not for one people. Sorry, Dwight you had your chance.

BYC has been eliminated for the most part in the new CBA and it would only apply to Lopez if that, Humphries will be on his 3rd contract not his 2nd because he signed a one year deal last season.

The deal with the Nets doesn't work. Lopez is on his qualifying offer year. Brooks is on his rookie contract. They add up to 5.5 million. Humpries is unsigned. Dwight will make 19.5 mil. Humphries would have to make 7.5 million to make it work at 150%. I can't see the Magic accepting Lopez without a new deal in place. Can't sign and trade 2 players in a trade.

"When a team initiates a sign-and-trade agreement, it must trade the signed player immediately; teams cannot renege on the arrangement and keep the player for themselves, using the other team's financial situation to leverage the signee into a more favorable deal for themselves. Also, the contract signed before the trade must be for at least 3 years, with the first year guaranteed.

If a newly-signed player is not part of a sign-and-trade, his new team cannot trade him until December 15 of the calendar year in which he was signed or three months after the date on which he signed, whichever arrives later."

Lopez is working on being resigned, is a restricted free agent. Humphries is an unstricted free agent. I just don't understand how you can sign 2 players and trade them. Seems to violate the rule.

Reference Deshawn Stevenson. He had to be resigned to a new deal to make the Joe trade work. Attaching one SnT with other assets wasn't common if at all possible before but it just got done and benefited us so I don't see how or why it would be outside the realm of possibility to attach two sign and trade deals. There's nothing saying otherwise in Coon's faq but I will agree that the timing may be the biggest issue here.

I cant wait to see what happens if Deron picks Dallas and Orlando refuses to deal with NJ. IT would give new meaning to the phrase ISO JOE.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Last night Chris Broussard said that the Magic had no interest in talking to the Nets. What change? This is why I don't listen to media people. They say half this stuff for viewers and site clicks.

BYC has been eliminated for the most part in the new CBA and it would only apply to Lopez if that, Humphries will be on his 3rd contract not his 2nd because he signed a one year deal last season.Reference Deshawn Stevenson. He had to be resigned to a new deal to make the Joe trade work. Attaching one SnT with other assets wasn't common if at all possible before but it just got done and benefited us so I don't see how or why it would be outside the realm of possibility to attach two sign and trade deals. There's nothing saying otherwise in Coon's faq but I will agree that the timing may be the biggest issue here.

The rule is that a sign and trade player has to be traded immediately to the other team (48 hours) and can have other (assets) players packaged with him. Since one contract is signed before the other...one player is a free agent while another is an asset. You can't trade free agent rights. At the point of signing the first deal, you have to have your ducks in a row. In the case of Lopez who is the problem here, he is under a qualifying offer. A restricted free agent. He's already been offered a deal that isn't a snt type of deal.

• Premium Member

Can someone tell me how Chris Broussard rose to the top? What happened to Marc Stein? He seems a lot more credible. Broussard just likes to run his mouth.

I think this is another case of ESPN forcing guys to throw things out there. I know things change but don't speak like something will never happen only to say it's currently happening a few hours later. It's good for ESPN's ratings but hurts the credibility of their talent.
  • Like 1

This rumor is SUCH garbage. In the details Brussard says that both Lopez and Humphries are in this deal? Both of those guys are FA's. Lopez is restricted and Humphries can do whatever the hell he wants. Why would he sign with the Magic just to help the Nets out. Am I missing something here or does this just make 0 sense whatsoever?