• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Now that it's done: Lottery protected pick

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I don't understand why Ferry could not get NJ to remove the lottery protection off the pick. Hawks had all the leverage here. Orlando was not going to deal with NJ and getting JJ was the only way for then to keep Deron Williams. Bad move by Ferry. Agree?

it's not the Nets pick to choose protection. It's Houstons pick and the Nets already had it as a lottery protected pick.That being said, here's to hoping the Bulls don't match for Asik and he can lead them to an 8th seed so we get pick 14ish.Wishful thinking: Dealing Harris for another expiring and 1st round pick and package all 3 of our picks plus Jenkins/whatever to move up and pick Shebazz

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't understand why Ferry could not get NJ to remove the lottery protection off the pick. Hawks had all the leverage here. Orlando was not going to deal with NJ and getting JJ was the only way for then to keep Deron Williams. Bad move by Ferry. Agree?

The pick is actually from Houston via Brooklyn. I assume the lottery protection was already on the pick when Brooklyn acquired it. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

thanks for clearing that up. Saw "lottery protected" and thought the Hawks got screwed.

it's not the Nets pick to choose protection. It's Houstons pick and the Nets already had it as a lottery protected pick.That being said, here's to hoping the Bulls don't match for Asik and he can lead them to an 8th seed so we get pick 14ish.Wishful thinking: Dealing Harris for another expiring and 1st round pick and package all 3 of our picks plus Jenkins/whatever to move up and pick Shebazz

Shebazz would fit great but i wouldn't want to trade all those picks.

The pick is actually from Houston via Brooklyn. I assume the lottery protection was already on the pick when Brooklyn acquired it.

Then I'm cheering for Brooklyn to get the #8 seed........that equates to pick #15 or #16 next year for Atlanta.

• Premium Member

Then I'm cheering for Brooklyn to get the #8 seed........that equates to pick #15 or #16 next year for Atlanta.

Doesn't matter what the Nets do record wise. You should be rooting for the rockets to be the eighth seed since the pick comes from them.

• Moderators

With the deal for Dragic falling apart at the seams, I'm hoping the Rockets get just enough for the eventual Lowry and Scola deals that they get the low side of the lottery next year. Chock full o' middling players (Jeremy Lamb, Royce White, Terrence Jones, Chandler Parsons, Courtney Lee, Patrick Patterson, Jon Leuer, Jon Brockman, Shaun Livingston, Donatas Motiejunas, maybe Omer Asik) in the Western Conference, 2013 is just ouch, and the rebuilding 2014 could be even worse... which would be great news for the Hawks.~lw3

• Premium Member

Like I said in a similar post in "Trade Ideas":

We basically acquired the pick with the same conditions that the Nets received when they acquired the pick in the Terrence Williams trade. Assuming this is accurate, the pick is actually a lottery protected pick from 2012-2016. If the Rockets are in the lottery every year through 2016, then it becomes an unprotected second round pick in 2017 plus cash.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

Like I said in a similar post in "Trade Ideas":

We basically acquired the pick with the same conditions that the Nets received when they acquired the pick in the Terrence Williams trade. Assuming this is accurate, the pick is actually a lottery protected pick from 2012-2016. If the Rockets are in the lottery every year through 2016, then it becomes an unprotected second round pick in 2017 plus cash.

Sounds like it's still the case (Nets page says the same -- why is Joe Smith seemingly part of every deal?). In which case... let's get that 8-seed, Houston!~lw3
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Sounds like it's still the case (Nets page says the same -- why is Joe Smith seemingly part of every deal?). In which case... let's get that 8-seed, Houston!

~lw3

Exactly.

The idea behind this is a bit of splitting the baby for both Ferry and King. If the Nets do really well, then the Rockets pick is worth more. If the Nets bomb, then they will be happy to get their own pick. With the lottery protection, I would probably rather have the Nets pick but either pick could easily turn out to be more valuable than the other.

Doesn't matter what the Nets do record wise. You should be rooting for the rockets to be the eighth seed since the pick comes from them.

Some one just said the Rockets pick came via Brooklyn........meaning it was the Nets pick to begin with.Perhaps I misunderstood them. We all knew the pick belonged to Houston orginally......... Edited by coachx

The pick is actually from Houston via Brooklyn. I assume the lottery protection was already on the pick when Brooklyn acquired it.

The way that is worded I guess confused me. We all knew the pick was orignially Houston's to being with. The way you worded the post made me think the Nets were simply getting their own pick back, which Houston owned the rights to from a previous trade. Edited by coachx

• Moderators

The way that is worded I guess confused me. We all knew the pick was orignially Houston's to being with. The way you worded the post made me think the Nets were simply getting their own pick back, which Houston owned the rights to from a previous trade.

I read "via" to be the same as "through" so it worked for me.