• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Opinion: Forget about Dwight Howard, he's going to LA

Joker

This will have no bearing on D12 trade at all..One of the big markets will get D12 , may even to the Lakers , but Nash will have zero to do with it

Funny how good things always happen to the Lakers of the world who would have thought Nash to the Lakers for nothing. Bad things that people fool themselves like are good always happen to the Hawks of the world like giving away a 6 x all-star for no talent in return.

LA has just landed Steve Nash.

Marc Stein@ESPNSteinLine

Just going up online & via SportsCenter: Sources say Suns have consented to sign-and-trade Steve Nash to Lakers for package of future picks

Ken Berger@KBergCBS

Stunning that Nash is a Laker and stunning that Suns owner Robert Sarver would send him to L.A.

IE...LA just traded the picks they needed to land Dwight. This helps us, not hurts us you knucklehead.

• Premium Member

Yeah. This trade would be more meaningful if it were 5 years ago. Nash at this point is much more flashy name than having a championship caliber game. Even if he can still get the APG, his defense which at least at one point was just average, has to be horrendous against someone like Westbrook and Parker

What was it that beat the OKC Thunder this year? Here's a hint.. It wasn't PG play. Nash brings what the Lakers need. Somebody to take the ball out of Kobe's hands and make decisions for that offense. Plus he can shoot. OKC is good but against a team that has scoring from everywhere, OKC may call it.

What do you mean, huh? What has this team done the last 6 years?

Try rereading the thread.

Jj had nothing to do with this thread. It was just random bashing.

Well, I was addressing Mr. Meltdown... Who seems to think that this trade was a great loss. It stinks that he Hawks probably will come out of this offseason with No Joe or Dwight, but Joe had to go. Either now or in two or three years. I'm glad Ferry finally got it over with.

I'm glad Ferry got rid of Marvin and Joe, but I'm afraid he's just going to blow all the cap space on players who aren't going to improve the results at all. As much as it sucks, you have to hit rock bottom to become a contender. Playing the "Let's sign Iggy and James Harden" game isn't going to get the team anywhere.

Edited by thefloydian

I'm glad Ferry got rid of Marvin and Joe, but I'm afraid he's just going to blow all the cap space on players who aren't going to improve the results at all. As much as it sucks, you have to hit rock bottom to become a contender. Playing the "Let's sign Iggy and James Harden" game isn't going to get the team anywhere.

I agree , Ferry will have to be careful how he uses the capspace , I'd rather save the capspace of 2014 , than to blow it on 2nd tier guys.

• Premium Member

I think the Lakers will stand pat now with the addition of Nash. Nash will make this team much better albeit he has declined over the years. The stability he brings to the team and setting up the offense will be huge for LA.I understand the league helps certain teams and that is why there is all this talk of D12 to Brooklyn(NYC) and LA.There is no doubt the Hawks have a much better package than the Nets, but what happens there reamains to be seen. ESPN doesnt even mention the Hawks in the mix of the discussion.

I made this thread for a reason.

Stefan Bondy ‏@NYDNInterNets

"Lakers no longer demanding contract assurances from Dwight Howard in trade talks, reportedly bad news for Nets

@IAMAGM

Lakers no longer demanding contract assurances from Dwight Howard in trade talks, reportedly

Jackie Pepper, an anchor and reporter for Comcast SportsNet New England, reported Thursday that the Lakers have notified one of their players that they could be traded at any moment in a deal for Dwight Howard.

RT @WiessD: Source: After speaking w/Kobe & Nash & liking what he heard DwightHoward has told Lakers he’ll sign contract extension with them

Changes everything. If this is true, you can expect Dwight to be a Laker by the end of the week

David Wiess@WiessD

FYI: The source I quoted be4 was the Lakers player who was told tonight by the Lakers that he's headed to the Magic with Bynum.

http://twitter.com/E...092568665034752

To recap - I believe @WiessD to be a fake account - but know @Jackie_Pepper is a real - but please, moving on

This maybe true but sooner than later Dwight will be a Laker. If not, I will admit I am wrong but I don't trust the Lakers. When they smell an amazing value deal, they attack like vultures.

Okay...I'm going to play along for a second.

Orlando - position

$57 million w/o options this year - 67 million with options - 94 million with cap holds

Commodities they wish to part with

Dwight 19.3 million

Duhon 3.68 million - 2 years ( 1 is option year)

JRich 5.8 million - 3 years left (1 is option year)

Turkoglu 11.4 million 2 years left (1 is option year)

Desires

Get back serviceable players

Shed salary

Part with 2 of Duhon, JRich, Turkoglu

Acquire draft picks

Lakers position

63.2 w/o options or Nash / 71 million with Nash / 91 million with Nash and options.

109 million with cap holds + Nash

commodities they will part with

Bynum - 16.1 million (1 year team option)

Session - 4.55 million (1 year player option)

Blake - 4 million (2 years)

McRoberts - 3.135 million (1 year)

Eyenga - 1.3 million (3 years)

Draft picks they can trade - 0 - gave them up in the Nash deal. In fact, they don't own a first this coming year so I'm not sure how they sent the pick to Phoenix in the first place.

"

2013 first round draft pick to Cleveland

Cleveland has the right to swap the least favorable of their own 2013 1st round pick, Miami's own 2013 1st round pick (top-10 protected) and Sacramento's own 2013 1st round pick (top-13 protected) with the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick (top-14 protected). If the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick is #1-#14, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished. [Cleveland-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012]

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed#ixzz1zoZ4cPOO

"

Now I hope you are understanding where I'm coming from here. Orlando wants to take back less in salary than they send out for Dwight because they are in danger of the luxury tax. They are going into rebuilding mode. They need a piece to build around (ie Bynum) and they need commodities (picks/expirings). However, Bynum is an expiring and not the good kind. You want him resigned. So job one is Bynum has to agree to an extension or this deal is a non-starter. Second...LA which is already way, way into the luxury tax at the highest percentage needs to take back more salary than they give back. So they need to take Howard and JRich for Bynum + probably Eyenga. But they have no draft picks to offer.

Really? Really? You honestly freaking believe that Orlando trades Dwight for a 1 year rental on Bynum and no 1st round draft picks. My God man, think this through. Seriously? Have you thought it through.

Atlanta has - Horford, Teague, Pachulia all available right now. 3 First round picks (2 in 2013 and 1 in 2015) as possibilities. Horford is signed through 4 years. Pachulia is an expiring as is Teague with a team QO. But you think they trade with L.A.

There are other deals out there than just L.A. If they trade for Bynum, they are trading for exactly what they are giving up...a one year disgruntled center.