• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks are still after Howard

Buzzard

That’s good news for other teams looking to land Howard. And near the top of the list are the Atlanta Hawks. Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution writes that Danny Ferry is lying in wait, hoping to bring Howard home…

If Howard still has his eyes set on Brooklyn, the Hawks would be taking risk by trading Al Horford (in all likelihood) as part of a package for the three-time DPOY. But that’s similar to the risk that the Nets took when they got Deron Williams at the 2010 deadline from the Jazz. And given the chance to get Williams invested in their franchise (and eventually acquire Gerald Wallace and Joe Johnson), the Nets were able to convince him to stay.

Link:

http://hangtime.blog...ls=iref:nbahpt1

Edited by Buzzard

I am sure he waiting to find out Howard's interest in staying here in Atlanta.

Take the gamble.

If we get Dwight:

Best Case: Dwight and Josh stay and we get CP3 next year to form super team.

Worst Case: Dwight and Josh leave (possible sign-n-trade opportunities) and we rebuild.

If we don't get Dwight:

Best Case:Chris Paul somehow decides to come to the Atlanta Hawks without Dwight and just Al Horford; and Josh decides to stay

Worst Case: Josh Smith leaves and we are left in mediocrity with Al Horford and Jeff Teague.

Edited by GameTime

• Admin

It will be interesting next year if DH comes here and does not resign (and Josh leaves) when everyone who says take the chance will blame Ferry for turning us into the worst team in the league.You don't throw away Horford / Teague for a one year rental. I would build around Horford (if Howard would not verbally agree) but if you are going to trade him you would get A LOT more then a one year of Howard.

• Like 1

Although I have no insider information, it is obvious that Ferry wants DH and already has a deal with Orlando. The only person blocking that from happening is Dwight Howard. IF the Brooklyn deal falls through, maybe (just maybe) Dwight Howard will open his eyes and see that Atlanta is a GREAT opportunity for him.That Russian guy must have done a fantastic job of convincing Howard that he HAS to become a Net. I wonder if that can be considered tampering.

• Moderators

It will be interesting next year if DH comes here and does not resign (and Josh leaves) when everyone who says take the chance will blame Ferry for turning us into the worst team in the league.

You won't see me do that. I will say that I thought it was a risk worth taking and that it puts us in a position where we can land a superstar in the draft instead of simply being mediocre.
  • Like 1

It will be interesting next year if DH comes here and does not resign (and Josh leaves) when everyone who says take the chance will blame Ferry for turning us into the worst team in the league.

Nobody is going to blame him, he is take a risk and if you look at the situation like this. D12 can get the max deal he wants, playing with best friends, bring new talent to Atlanta and being one of the spotlights in the city that need stars or he can signed the MLE, being stuck as the 3rd wheel, in a city that the fans and media will tear him apart if he isnt playing right. Most ppl still harpers on Thomas Dimitroff when he traded away five picks to get Julio Jones but that is type of risk that makes or breaks a GM career. Julio is a beast and he will have a awesome career. So those type of risk will bring fans to seat, money to pockets of ASG and excitment back to this city.

Hawks should trade for DH. It gives us at least 1 year of becoming relevant, possibly more. I love Horford, but you have to have a superstar to win a championship, and I don't think Horf will ever reach that level. Take the chance, if it works then we are a force to be reckoned with for the next 3-5 years, if not, then we rebuild through the draft in the lottery where you have a chance to get that superstar.

I say go for it.-what if the team clicks and we start winning-we go to the conference finals-we get a great sign and trade offer if he does decide to leave-he talks some other superstar into coming to AtlantaYou rarely find success in the easy decision.

Edited by sultanofatl
  • Like 1

• Moderators

You will be in the minority...

There will definitely be people pointing the finger at him, particularly if he doesn't get a S&T and ends up walking without us getting anything. If he truly wants to go to Brooklyn or LA or anywhere without max cap space, though, we would a good portion of the leverage next summer that Orlando does today to get some future assets. (I still wouldn't want a maxed out Lopez without major development on his rebounding, though.)

• Premium Member

I used to get onto Diesel for advocating a risk at all cost move to get Dwight without an extension but now I am completely in agreement. If the Nets get Dwight the East is literally dead to every team in it outside the Heat, Nets and Bulls. I want no part in that. I'd rather go down swinging with bringing in Dwight and trying to resign him and his best friend Josh and going for broke to get CP3 in next summer than that reality. Even if we lose Dwight for nothing we'd have no bad contracts and our own draft picks to start rebuilding with.This literally has become Dwight Or Bust for me. I am ALL IN on a ALL OR NOTHING strategy.

• Like 1

It could all go up in flames but it would be a fun ride. I would not blame Ferry one ioda for having the brass balls to do this deal. Horford picks and expiring deals even if it can be agreed to with a wink today and done in September. ( Hopefully we can keep Teague but if we add Teague then I wouldnt give any picks).

Edited by NJHAWK
  • Like 1

• Admin

I would like to point out that this will cost us draft picks as well so if we lose Howard we lost everything...we don't have draft picks to build with either.Horford goneTeague goneJosh goneJoe goneHoward gonedraft picks goneI don't want to trade for him for a one year rental

• Premium Member

I would like to point out that this will cost us draft picks as well so if we lose Howard we lost everything...we don't have draft picks to build with either. Horford gone Teague gone Josh gone Joe gone Howard gone draft picks gone I don't want to trade for him for a one year rental

Here's the problem though: if we let the Nets get Dwight we're not touching the Finals for at least three to four years. We're screwed either way. Why not take the risk and get Dwight? I also have to add I seriously think if he was here and he and Josh play together both will want to stay here in the long term.

• Moderators

I would like to point out that this will cost us draft picks as well so if we lose Howard we lost everything...we don't have draft picks to build with either. Horford gone Teague gone Josh gone Joe gone Howard gone draft picks gone I don't want to trade for him for a one year rental

You don't deal any Hawks draft picks past 2013. You trade the 2013 Hawk pick, the Houston pick, Teague and Horford. Orlando was currently getting 3 picks; now they will get 2. They are currently getting Lopez on a much worse salary than Horford and he is a worse player. They aren't currently getting any young assets like Teague. I think this is a superior offer even if they eat Jason Richardson. They still need to make the salary floor and have to realistically understand they aren't signing Bynum or someone of his ilk anyway. The fact that they dealt away Ryan Anderson says they are not looking to win right now anyway.