• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ferry: “We felt with the team that we had, we were probably going to maintain the status quo and not be able to reach a championship level."

GameTime

• Premium Member

It might be best if we just wait for Howard to become a free agent next summer and try to sign him outright. Horford, Howard, Smith, re-signed Harris, re-signed Morrow, Jenkins, Lou Will. Seems like an interesting "core" to me.

I would agree with waiting as well. No telling what other opportunities come out between now and next season.

• Premium Member

I've never heard his reasoning. My guess would be a desire to be in the Big Apple. Maybe he gets more advertising incentives to be in NY?

I sure hope this isn't about selling a brand. before all this I found him corny and annoying. Now that he's created such a stir I bet his Q-rating is right there with Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Vick. Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I've never heard his reasoning. My guess would be a desire to be in the Big Apple. Maybe he gets more advertising incentives to be in NY?

I believe Adidas his shoe company has a 100 million dollar bonus if he plays in NY or LA.

I would agree with waiting as well. No telling what other opportunities come out between now and next season.

It seems to me that we would have a very formidable team assuming we can re-sign Smith, Morrow & Harris. Even if we weren't able to get CP.

• Premium Member

It seems to me that we would have a very formidable team assuming we can re-sign Smith, Morrow & Harris. Even if we weren't able to get CP.

I agree and that's probably another reason why Ferry isn't for doing a rental.

That is an impressive list. I'd say he's about 5 or 6 away from the bottom on the offensive end, middle of the pack among some outstanding defenders (give or take 1 on both ends, as I admittedly have no idea who Randy Smith is). Even at those numbers, I just could never embrace his overall game as a main option, although I wouldn't discount his low-explosion style game being a function of ensuring the durability and endurance he showed. I was ecstatic he was dealt, and Brooklyn got a prototypical, albeit obscenely overpaid, auxiliary two-way player, foolishly at the expense of their Top Priority and centerpiece in Dwight. Evidently no one told the Russian your net wealth isn't at his disposal in this particular endeavor. We gave ourselves hope of a true contender, while making sure the Nets are no better than a 3rd seed, tough second round out under the highest expectations of staying healthy and playing well. Win all the way around for us.

JJ isn't quite at the numbers that cwebb posted. He need about another 250 points to reach 15,000 and 20 more rebounds to reach 3500 rebounds. But barring some catastrophic injury, he'll get there before Christmas.

Right now, the criteria is

- 14,750 points

- 3450 rebs

- 3500 asst

and let's throw in one more . . . 1,200 threes made

You know how many players in NBA history have done that?

NINE

Reggie Miller

Kobe Bryant

Ray Allen

Jason Kidd

Paul Pierce

Steve Nash

Terry Porter

Vince Carter

and Joe Johnson

Every one on that list will go to the Hall of Fame with the exception of Porter and JJ. I think Vince has done enough to get in. But if JJ wins a title in Brooklyn as a #1 or #2 key cog, people may have to start talking Hall of Fame with him as well.

The dude has been much better than the people and fans of ATL have given him credit for. It's just that JJ has NEVER played with . . .

- an elite level PG

- a good low post scorer

. . in Atlanta.

It's easy to diss the dude for his lack of consistency in the playoffs. But in the games that we DID WIN in the playoffs, he was almost always one of the main guys that was the reason for the victory.

It is what it is though. He had a good 7 year career in ATL, and deserves to have his number hanging up in Philips.

• Moderators

Do you know how many players in NBA history have a season with 120 steals, 225 blocks, 665 rebounds, and 270 assists? Josh Smith David Robinson Hakeem Olajuwon Do you know how many players in NBA history have a season with 130 steals, 170 blocks, 705 rebounds, and 340 assists? Josh Smith David Robinson All of them except Josh are first ballot hall of famers and that is more exclusive company than JJ's list. Therefore, Josh must be a first ballot hall of famer. {/sarcasm} In short, these lists are interesting but don't tell the full story. You can add in a bunch of other qualifiers to get some different lists and you can look at some other factors to see key differences in the games like Reggie Miller ts% .614; JJ ts% .529.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

Do you know how many players in NBA history have a season with 120 steals, 225 blocks, 665 rebounds, and 270 assists? Josh Smith David Robinson Hakeem Olajuwon Do you know how many players in NBA history have a season with 130 steals, 170 blocks, 705 rebounds, and 340 assists? Josh Smith David Robinson Would it be a mistake to trade Josh if his salary was > 21M/season?

Brace yourselves, this will be shocking, I know. if we could keep Horford, re-sign Josh and sign Howard, I might even be willing to concede overpaying Josh a little bit, if we could keep Horford and still get Howard. Then re-sign Harris, Morrow. Together with Jenkins, Lou Williams, we would have the makings of a really good team.

• Moderators

Brace yourselves, this will be shocking, I know. if we could keep Horford, re-sign Josh and sign Howard, I might even be willing to concede overpaying Josh a little bit, if we could keep Horford and still get Howard. Then re-sign Harris, Morrow. Together with Jenkins, Lou Williams, we would have the makings of a really good team.

I agree with that. The trouble is signing Dwight. Edited by AHF

I think Dwight will end up resigning with what ever team he is traded to like DWill did. Even if he doesn't it would free up even more cap room.He has said he would only extend with the Nets....that ship has sailed. He is never going to play in Brooklyn so he can get over it.He has said his second choice is the Mavs. They can't trade for him and he's gonna leave ATL to sign with a team that has an aging Dirk Nowitzki and nothing else...I don't think so.I think it will be Atlanta or LA and Bynum is an unrestricted FA in the offseason....do they want to go through this again?Get Dwight here with his buddies and get CP3 wanting to come and I think Dwight will stay.

• Moderators

I think Dwight will end up resigning with what ever team he is traded to like DWill did. Even if he doesn't it would free up even more cap room. He has said he would only extend with the Nets....that ship has sailed. He is never going to play in Brooklyn so he can get over it. He has said his second choice is the Mavs. They can't trade for him and he's gonna leave ATL to sign with a team that has an aging Dirk Nowitzki and nothing else...I don't think so. I think it will be Atlanta or LA and Bynum is an unrestricted FA in the offseason....do they want to go through this again? Get Dwight here with his buddies and get CP3 wanting to come and I think Dwight will stay.

Good post but I handicap it like this right now: (1) Extends with team to which he is traded; (2) Ends up traded to NJ later this season and resigns with them; (3) Signs with new team as FA; (4) S&T after this coming season to some team without the cap room to straight out sign him; (5) Agrees to extend his contract after being traded. Edited by AHF

Honestly, this is what I think the Hawks should do as well. Even if the Hawks trade Horford or Smoove to get Dwight they'll only succeeded in handicaping themselves and wouldn't be much better than the Magic are today. Why on earth would Dwight want to re-sign with a team like that? I'll admit, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but there's far less risk involved. Watchman, If this does happen then you and I will be praised for our incredible foresight. They'll throw parades in our honor and women will swoon on the spot. It will be glorious I tell you! GLORIOUS!!!!! Edited by ATLSmith
  • Like 1

Joe Johnson is one of the best players in franchise history? I'm new here...is this a common belief?

Mostly his fan club. I posted this a week ago when they first suggested that his jersey be hung from the rafters. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/leaders_career.html 43 categories of all time stats leaders for the Hawks franchise...... Joe is top 5 in only in about 5 of them behind guys who definitely don't have their jerseys hanging. #2 in 3 pointers made, #2 in 3 pointers taken, #5 in total assists, #2 in minutes played per game, #3 in usage%. Some people just think that this has truly been a woebegone franchise bereft of any talent in the past 60 years.