• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is It Time to Extend Jeffrey?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

With guards like Jrue Holiday (no, Jrue, you're not getting the max) and Ty Lawson beginning to hash out contract extensions with their respective teams, I was wondering whether it's time to initiate discussions with the player drafted immediately after them. What are the pros and cons of extending Jeff Teague right now? Is it correct to assume his case is like Horford's situation in 2010, where the Hawks would have until Halloween to extend his contract or otherwise allow him to enter restricted free agency (RFA)? Would an extended Teague contract make it simpler for the Hawks in Summer 2013 to bargain a sign-and-trade deal for bigger fish; as compared to having Jeff play the offer sheet game as an RFA with teams where the Hawks would likely have no negotiating leverage? If the answer is "No way, under any circumstances," is it because of his play on the court? If not, is it simply that even a reasonable contract extension (I've got no idea what "reasonable" is yet) unduly cuts into the cap space they're looking to have next summer when almost everybody we've traded for (including Devin the Dude) comes off the books? If the answer is "No, at least not yet," what would you need to see happening with the current roster before entertaining contract extension discussions? Would seeing his upcoming preseason play with this roster (or how he's used by LD) be a necessary factor for any of you before making a decision? ~lw3

I never believe in rewarding a player a new contract base on year of performance. If that player can repeat their performance from a previous year and actually show improvement. Then they should be consider for an extension.Hawks should hold off on giving Teague a new contract. There is a slight chance you might get him to sign a cheaper deal if you re-sign him now. With Teague though I want to see how he handle bring pushed by Lou and Devin. You can be sure Devin and Lou are going to be challenging him everyday in practice.

• Like 1

I mean a 24 year old PG that in his first season starting has put 12,5 ppg, 5 apg, 1,5 spg, 0,475 FG%, yes I think we should be looking to extend him, he is one of the best young assets we have on a team entering rebuilding mode. 6-7M$ a year sounds fine.

• Premium Member

It's a hard question. The thing with Teague and Josh is that if you plan to keep them, you want to get them resigned now rather than after the season because you don't want guys out there playing for a contract. It's like watching Summer League.. especially with new people on the team. I would rather have them as the establishment...(like Horf). they know that they are signed and they go out and play the team game. But.. if it's a question of weather you will keep them.. then of course you don't sign them til after the season.

• Moderators

Extending him lessens our flexibility this offseason so no

Do you wanna not be able to sign Paul or d12 or harden or bynum because we extended Jeff instead of waiting?

That's very true, but in some cases these guys may get dealt before their unrestricted offseason even gets there (like what Orlando TRIED in vain to do with Dwight), pending the ability for the receiving teams to get the pinky-swear from these players that they'll agree to a contract extension. By July 2013, the pool of available bona fide NBA stars might not turn out to be as deep as it appears right now.

Most of the guys mentioned are with some pretty good squads already. For a Lakers/Clippers/Thunder/Dwight-renting team dealing before the trade deadline that's not exactly looking to tank or blow their chances at a decent playoff run, getting a young playoff-experienced starter-quality point guard that's already locked down in the near-term (contract-wise) MIGHT prove more valuable to them than a bunch of vets coming off the cap that they might not have roster space for anyway. Having Teague at-the-ready behind a 40-year-old Nash (Bynum deadline deal), as a complement to Eric Bledsoe (CP3 deadline deal), or as an alternative/complement to Westbrook (Harden deadline deal, though I think he'll be extended by OKC before then) might be appetizing for the next couple of postseasons.

I'm also assuming that whatever Big Kahunas the Hawks have in mind for 2013, the plan is either to snare CP3, or otherwise support a Bynum or Dwight with a PG that's of sufficient quality that he'll already be making at least as much as what Teague would command in extended salary (or what Devin's making right now before he comes off the books). Whatever that amount for Teague is, I'd assume the Hawks have that in their PG budget for 2013, unless next year's draft is loaded with can't-miss PG prospects or something.

~lw3

We should extend him. If we extend his as soon as possible we won't have to worry about giving him big money if he has a great year. Plus I think Jeff is in Ferry's plan. If we do go after Paul, I'm pretty sure Teague wouldn't have a problem play under a Wake Forest alumni. I think Teague will beat great player with another year under his belt. I think Jeff can average near 16-17 ppg game and 7 assist. That is pretty productive. Jeff really got used to the game near the end of last year and I think this is the year he breaks out.