• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ferry on Josh Smith

Ferry will tell you that he “didn’t come in looking to” trade Johnson, but the opportunity presented itself (and he pounced). But Smith is a different story. Ferry likes him –a lot. “He’s a really good player,” Ferry said. “I love his ability to pass the ball. I love his ability to make game-changing plays defensively. I love his competitiveness. If I was out there playing, I would want Josh on my team.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

But does Smith want to be here? He wasn’t available for comment Tuesday, but Ferry said he has met with him twice. “He’s excited for next season,” he said. “We haven’t really gone in that direction with him [on roster plans]. But we’ve talked about how we’re going to play. We’ve talked about other payers. His ideas, my ideas. I’m just trying to establish a relationship.” Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Very, very interesting!!!!

Josh does not deserve that type of respect because he has never given it.

Why should he have shown Sund much respect. I mean hell, what did Sund ever really do for us besides keep us a mediocre playoff team that he knew wouldnt do anything in the playoffs. He didnt care about a championship, he just wanted his money. Its obvious Josh wants to be on a contender, so dont be mad at him for wanting a trade for the past seasons cause any person in their right mind should if your ownership doesnt want a title.

Josh does not deserve that type of respect because he has never given it.

I feel like I've seen this movie before. No wait, it was a different movie. But it felt just like the other one. All these movies seem so similar they all just run together, like you already know what's going to happen just by reading the title.....

Why should he have shown Sund much respect. I mean hell, what did Sund ever really do for us besides keep us a mediocre playoff team that he knew wouldnt do anything in the playoffs. He didnt care about a championship, he just wanted his money. Its obvious Josh wants to be on a contender, so dont be mad at him for wanting a trade for the past seasons cause any person in their right mind should if your ownership doesnt want a title.

No, I mean why all the Josh butt kissing. Who has he ever shown respect to? Disrespected Woody and teammates like Jeff and Zaza several times.

No, I mean why all the Josh butt kissing. Who has he ever shown respect to? Disrespected Woody and teammates like Jeff and Zaza several times.

Give it time. Im sure it will come haha

Cmon let's be real....is he really going to talk bad about a player as volatile as Josh. Could you imagine Josh's reaction if Ferry had said the following: "I like Josh Smith, but he can improve on the offensive end by playing more down low and not shooting as much jumpers".Josh would've probably said something like this: "I don't really listen to what others say about me, I am my own critic. I know how much I love the game and my teammates back me up on whatever I do on the court."

Edited by Supporter

If I had a choice between the potential to be a very good team to a championship team vs being an above 50% team, I'd rather have potential. That being said, I loved JJ, he had a full range of shots and good defense and good techniques. Again though, if he were even 27 or 28, I'd love the contract but at 31, a lack of leadership, he wasn't recruting more talent and his play wasn't consistent (some nights 10 for 15 with 30 points and others 9 for 23 and 20 points) enough for the pay he demanded. One more time, age, intangibles, lack of cap when you keep a player like that, etc just said no to keeping him.

I have many issues with Josh's game and attitude at times (like arguing with refs etc) but i don't undertand the whole "him not having respect thing." That's like in a previous thread someone was trying to say that Joe was a bad teammate. Stop nitpicking.

There is ONE player on this team that brings me to Phillips, one. There is ONE player's jersey that I wear, one. AH89 put it best, Smoove is a beast.

• Moderators

Cmon let's be real....is he really going to talk bad about a player as volatile as Josh. Could you imagine Josh's reaction if Ferry had said the following: "I like Josh Smith, but he can improve on the offensive end by playing more down low and not shooting as much jumpers". Josh would've probably said something like this: "I don't really listen to what others say about me, I am my own critic. I know how much I love the game and my teammates back me up on whatever I do on the court."

This is the puzzling thing to both Josh and a lot of his fans like me. What other player do you think it would be ok for a gm to say something like that about? There isn't one. If Ferry had said 'you know Joe is a good player but he turns the ball over way too much trying to dribble behind his back in double teams' that wouldn't have been an acceptable comment to make. Josh is a poor shooter whereas other guys are poor defenders, bad passers, bad rebounders. Its hard to boo a guy who lets his man blow by him. Or stands around not trying to board. Its easier to boo a guy about to take an ill advised shot. At least Josh's weakness has a 30% chance of producing points unlike being a terrible defender or turnover machine.

How did you know he was disrespecting Jeff or Zaza? Were you there on the bench? I remember see/hearing LD getting on Teague that game. In fact, after the game he said something about Teague's play that game. I'll take Danny's word over yours any day. ***In my Colin Cowherd voice*** "players know who's a fraud and who's a playa!" I go to the horse's mouth. If I didn't I would have been believing that "Josh and Joe didn't like each other." lol smh I have said it time and time again. Josh love the hawks and now that he and Danny are becoming best buds (yes, that's right. lol)... He, Danny and Lou are pulling DW12 to be a hawks. Don't ask me how I know... Lets just say it's something I strongly believe in. :-)

• Premium Member

So, Ferry actually values a player who averaged 19ppg, 9.6rpg, 3.5apg, 1.4spg, and 1.7bpg who actually WANTS to play here? Ferry gets plenty of praise around here for being smart, but it doesn't take a genius to see why he likes Smith after his play last season. He's gave the Hawks so much on BOTH sides of the court last season and he received more criticism(on the 'Squawk) than any other time in his career. All he did was come back from the offseason in excellent shape and step up when his team needed him most. Truth is, Smoove was a beast for us after the All Star break and was clearly the best player on this team during that span. I'm just glad to see news involving Hawks management and Josh that's actually POSITIVE for a change.

If by "beast" you mean "I'm gonna settle for 10-15 jump shots a night that I hit only roughly 35% of the time instead of getting in the low post or attacking the rim" then by all means Josh is the beastiest beast that ever beasted. He's the only player in NBA history I can think of that has one insanely glaring hole in his game that instead of fixing or simply not doing he insists on doing it all game, every game, every season. He's the Charlie Brown of the NBA. He'll keep teeing up for that football that he only kicks 35% of the time.