• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Building around Horford / Smith

tbhawksfan

• Moderators

You are not get CP3 w/o Howard here. There has to be a real reason for him to leave LA

Ditto. If Howard is here, then I don't want CP3. Use that cap space and invest in the bench, Teague, and a SG. Howard, Hoford, Smith, Jenkins/Williams or FA SG signing, & Teague w/ a deep bench IS a title contender. 60+ win team and a Heat dethroner.

Wether we are building around Horf and Smith for the future will be determined by how well they are playing and how the team is doing at the trade deadline. If we get "good" Josh he will be here long term, if we get "bad" Josh I can see Ferry trading him at the deadline.Ferry has a vision (none of us know exactly what it is) for the type of team he wants and whoever doesn't fit in will be gone.

• Admin

And really we are building around Horford, Smith, AND Teague. Looking to fill in the blanks and FINALLY fill Mutombo's shoes with a legit center and bring Atlanta its superstar.

Honestly with Harris who is a better point guard....I would consider using Teague to get a good sf
  • Like 1

Honestly with Harris who is a better point guard....I would consider using Teague to get a good sf

Harris is a FA next season, say he has a good season (and he probably will), he will have a ton of offers and would more than likely go to a team that is closer to winning. So we lose Harris and Teague and still searching for a PG.

What quality SF is available for what Teague is making?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I think that is the way to go. You build around Horford, Smith and Teague. Then you look to go after Andre Bynum whom, I'm not a big fan of b/c of his immaturity, but that would make us a a legit team in the East. Thereafter, you go after a Treke Evans or Harden and the Hawks will have a team WITH THE RIGHT COACH that is capable of competing for a title...The World does not end with Dwight Howard or CP3 people.PG- Teague / WilliamsSG- Harden / JenkinsSF= Smoove / PF- Horford / C- Bynum /

• Admin

I think that is the way to go. You build around Horford, Smith and Teague. Then you look to go after Andre Bynum whom, I'm not a big fan of b/c of his immaturity, but that would make us a a legit team in the East. Thereafter, you go after a Treke Evans or Harden and the Hawks will have a team WITH THE RIGHT COACH that is capable of competing for a title...The World does not end with Dwight Howard or CP3 people. PG- Teague / Williams SG- Harden / Jenkins SF= Smoove / PF- Horford / C- Bynum /

No it doesn't but that linup won't happen either ...Harden will want near max and he is not leaving OKC and Smith should never be a full time SF. ...and we will not be able to afford Bynum, Smith, Horford and Harden

• Premium Member

Mediocre?? Surely you jest

I don't see what you guys see. Sure he's a nice player, but is he really the type of player you build around? He can't create offense and is nothing special on the defensive end.

• Premium Member

Bottom line you have to have a superstar player to win a championship. Joe wasnt It a superstar and no one on this roster is anywhere near a superstar.Danny Ainge was a genius when he brought in the big three. If you build through the draft you have to win the lottery then hope there is a potential star player available. I'm in the big three support. So, Ferry has to bring some very good vets in from a not so good team. Free agency eats cap space.So we gotta start looking at a player or players we can bring in, a vet(s) that can come in the way Boston has done.

The issue with building around Horford and Smith, is that you STILL have the team "out of balance" offensively, because both of them are jumpshooting PF's. If the Hawks can get a big and effective center in the middle, they could get away with playing Smith at SF, and simply let him split minutes between SF and PF. If not, we're still rolling with a Horford - Smith frontcourt, with neither guy truly willing to mix it up on the inside the way they should be doing.The only way to beat Miami ( in the near future ) is to attack them at their "underbelly" ( which is on the interior ) and play great team defense to corral Lebron and Wade. If we can't do that, we'll always end our season in the 1st or 2nd round when we go up against them. Or we won't even get to the playoffs at all to play them.Building around Horford and Smith means- finding a legit center that doesn't mind banging AND defending on the inside ( amazing that we're still talking about this, years after trading Mutumbo )- finding a point guard who can maximize the abilities of BOTH Horford and Smith as offensive players ( amazing that we're still talking about this, years after trading Mookie )

• Like 1

Now we're getting to it. The Horf / Smith combo needs a strong C for it to work. My thinking is, we need the good C, but I think that we'd be better off trading Smith in oder to get the C, then we can still get a nice FA to go with our dominant front-court. Just don't like the idea of Smith at the 3 and I think the time is getting very ripe to make the move.Good CHorfFAJJJTLou Willetcand a couple of firsts looks like a good situation to me.

I think the Hawks go after Bynum and they would sign Jeff Van Gundy to come run the Franchise..We have ton of shooters. Hopefully we can get an athletic SF in the draft 2013. I really believe Horford, Bynum and Smith could average 18pts a piece..PG Teague / WilliamsSG- Jenkins / HarrisSF- Smith / PF- HorfordC- Bynum