• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chipper's Bobble head night was amazing, nice to know the city supports one of its teams

ATLscrubLove

The Braves are the only team that has really done anything in ATL since the 90's. Division title and world series appearances. Plus of course the championship in 95. I went out to Chips bobble head night last night and the crowd was loud and crazy. Why can't the Hawks and Falcons get this kind of support? Especially the Hawks. It's simple we don't have a history of winning. Not to mention all the transplants within the city of ATL. Going to a Hawks game you really can't tell you are even in Atlanta, there are never that many Hawks fans. You always have more fans from the other team and even a random Lakers fan club in the arena when we play the Celtics. LOL. This city has too many bandwagoners, so maybe if we can create a history of winning staring now. Some of these transplants will actually become Hawks fans.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The hawks as a organization are not committed to building a championship level team. The Braves make a move to improve every year at the trade deadline, the hawks sit on their hands. The Braves have a lower payroll too, but they at least make an effort to win and oh yea, they have a superstar in Chipper, a declining one, but yes he is a superstar, the Hawks haven't had that since Nique!

• Like 2

Maybe there should be a Josh Smith bobblehead night?

Im down with that, maybe the Hawks need to have more give aways. The Braves give out free stuff all the time. How bout a free autograph session? That would be the best.
  • Like 1

We've discussed this before. No town discerns a phony from the real McCoy better than Atlanta. That's why the Braves had such a hard time selling playoff tickets in the latter part of their run of division titles. That's why so few in town believe in the Hawks. That's why Falcons are so under the gun; ask any Falcon fan who witnessed their last three playoff games.It gets mighty hard to sell seats when the folks with the most disposable income in town could care less about the local product because they're from somewhere else. How many thousand Saint fans have migrated here since Katrina? You think they care about the Falcons, other than when they lose? Any Laker or Celtic fan you know of that bought a Josh Smith jersey?

We've discussed this before. No town discerns a phony from the real McCoy better than Atlanta. That's why the Braves had such a hard time selling playoff tickets in the latter part of their run of division titles. That's why so few in town believe in the Hawks. That's why Falcons are so under the gun; ask any Falcon fan who witnessed their last three playoff games. It gets mighty hard to sell seats when the folks with the most disposable income in town could care less about the local product because they're from somewhere else. How many thousand Saint fans have migrated here since Katrina? You think they care about the Falcons, other than when they lose? Any Laker or Celtic fan you know of that bought a Josh Smith jersey?

Yea but it's really crappy though. These people not from Georgia need to get out. I'm tired of all the transplants. This place used to be a good place to live before all these ransoms came. *randoms came

Yea but it's really crappy though. These people not from Georgia need to get out. I'm tired of all the transplants. This place used to be a good place to live before all these ransoms came. *randoms came

I have no problems with folks moving in; its their right. The problem I have are with folks who move here and complain ad nauseum about how much better their hometown is than the one they're in now. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a New Yorker whine about, hell, ANYTHING going on here, while going on and on about the greatness of NYC, I'd be sending Sallie Mae invoices right now.... No offense to the transients on this board, but shut the trap with the city comparisons. If your hometown is/was soooooo great, why are you down here in the first place? I know that if my town was so superior to the one I'm looking at moving to, I'm canceling my flight to go there...
  • Like 3

I have no problems with folks moving in; its their right. The problem I have are with folks who move here and complain ad nauseum about how much better their hometown is than the one they're in now. If I had a dollar for every time I've heard a New Yorker whine about, hell, ANYTHING going on here, while going on and on about the greatness of NYC, I'd be sending Sallie Mae invoices right now.... No offense to the transients on this board, but shut the trap with the city comparisons. If your hometown is/was soooooo great, why are you down here in the first place? I know that if my town was so superior to the one I'm looking at moving to, I'm canceling my flight to go there...

People only move here because the cost of loving is much cheaper than up north. From what I gather anyways. I've never been out of the southeast so I can't say for sure.
  • Like 1

So falcons going to the super bowl doesnt count?

It does but they've only gone ONCE in their 46 year existence. Not impressive.

The Braves are the only team that has really done anything in ATL since the 90's. Division title and world series appearances. Plus of course the championship in 95. I went out to Chips bobble head night last night and the crowd was loud and crazy. Why can't the Hawks and Falcons get this kind of support? Especially the Hawks.

It's simple we don't have a history of winning. Not to mention all the transplants within the city of ATL. Going to a Hawks game you really can't tell you are even in Atlanta, there are never that many Hawks fans. You always have more fans from the other team and even a random Lakers fan club in the arena when we play the Celtics. LOL. This city has too many bandwagoners, so maybe if we can create a history of winning staring now. Some of these transplants will actually become Hawks fans.

LMBO! I'm a big Braves fan.

Braves games are not always like that. Their best attendance came all on Phillies games because of the Phillies fans. Look at the games before the Chipper bobble head.

Braves' Attendance:

18,250 (36.7% full) 8/13/2012

16,427 (33% full) 8/14/2012

16,302 (32.8% full) 8/15/2012

33,157 (66.7% full) 8/16/2012 Chipper Jones Bobble Head

Braves games are not always like that. Their best attendance came all on Phillies games because of the Phillies fans. Look at the games before the Chipper bobble head.

Braves' Attendance:

you bring up some very solid points but Baseball has roughly twice as many home games than Basketball so I think it's totally understandable that people don't want to come out all night. Plus if any of you guys live in the Metro Atlanta Area you know how the weather and our horrendous traffic also play a factor. I've seen plenty of fans at Braves games but you can't expect many fans to come out during the week for any sport.

By the way I am also a huge Braves fan. Ever since I was 7 or so.

Edited by Robdawg

• Moderators

The Braves did have a transformational moment going from worst to first and then becoming elite. That made a lot of people life-long Braves fans. It is the kind of moment the Hawks have never had.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The Braves did have a transformational moment going from worst to first and then becoming elite. That made a lot of people life-long Braves fans. It is the kind of moment the Hawks have never had.

Braves did it the right way then and now the Washington Nationals are doing it the right way. Create something instead of building a Frankenstein with b-level talent.

Braves' Attendance:

Those were games v. celler dweller teams AND school started. Attendenace always drops when school is in season. Hard to take your 3rd grader to a game when you live in the N. burbs. You'll get home around midnight. Just not worth it during the school year for games v. bad teams.

For the year the Braves are 17th in the league at 1.8 million. Not great, but not terrible either. Atlanta is just not an in-person town unless you show you are really the thing

• Like 1

Those were games v. celler dweller teams AND school started. Attendenace always drops when school is in season. Hard to take your 3rd grader to a game when you live in the N. burbs. You'll get home around midnight. Just not worth it during the school year for games v. bad teams. For the year the Braves are 17th in the league at 1.8 million. Not great, but not terrible either. Atlanta is just not an in-person town unless you show you are really the thing

I totally agree with what you said. It's hard for people that live in the burbs to make it to the games this time of year.