Josh Smith to Danny "Call me maybe?"

HawkItus

AJC: New contract for Smith 'unlikely' this season

Vivlamore reporting.

Josh Smith is entering the final year of his contract but it is “unlikely” that he will be re-signed before the end of the upcoming season. He is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

Don’t panic yet Hawks fans.

Under the rules of the NBA’s current collective bargaining agreement, it could be advantageous for Smith, and to some degree the Hawks, to wait on a new contract. In simplest terms, if Smith re-signs with the Hawks before June 30, the extension can be for only a maximum of three years. If he waits until after his contract expires, he can re-sign for up to five years.

According to Hawks general manager Danny Ferry, Smith and his agents have said he would like to remain in Atlanta.

“I've been clear that I value Josh as a player,” Ferry told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “He has worked hard this summer and I believe he is going to have great season. I've been in contact with his representatives. Josh and his …

View the full article

Josh isn't going anywhere. He'll resign with us, likely for the max or near it. The only way he doesn't sign for the max is if a certain All-Star comes to town and DF persuades him into signing for less.

Hopefully not too near it. I love Josh as much as the next guy, but he's really just not that good. It would be a lot like signing Joe to the max. Hopefully Josh improves enough this season to make me eat crow.

• Premium Member

Why would we resign him?His trade value is the highest it has been.We're starting over.Moving Him for the right player could get us a good C in return.Or maybe a very good Sf?Josh is not worth the max... and we shouldn't want a max player who is not worth it right now. I think if he's smart, Ferry sells high on Josh.

• Like 1

Why would we resign him? His trade value is the highest it has been. We're starting over. Moving Him for the right player could get us a good C in return. Or maybe a very good Sf? Josh is not worth the max... and we shouldn't want a max player who is not worth it right now. I think if he's smart, Ferry sells high on Josh.

Exactly what kind of return are you expecting in this sell high proposal?

• Premium Member

Exactly what kind of return are you expecting in this sell high proposal?

It can be anything. From a high draft pick to a big to a SF... Something that fills our need going forward. Remember, the only thing guaranteed for next years team is Horf and Teague. DFerry has room to build what he wants. Those guys on the team this year are auditioning for a spot on Danny's team. If Smoove looks like he wants to hijack this team for the max, then let him go and get the max somewhere else because honestly, he's not close to a max talent.
  • Like 1

I get the feeling that because of:1. His contract situationand2. Teams don't want to give him a long max contract...he doesn't have much trade value right now. I think the only reason a team would trade for him right now is to get rid of salary.

Hopefully not too near it. I love Josh as much as the next guy, but he's really just not that good. It would be a lot like signing Joe to the max. Hopefully Josh improves enough this season to make me eat crow.

Signing Josh to a near max deal is much more justifiable than signing Joe to one. Josh has contributed much more to winning than Joe has over the past three years.
  • Like 1

Signing Josh to a near max deal is much more justifiable than signing Joe to one. Josh has contributed much more to winning than Joe has over the past three years.

NO, NO, NO...I am glad that Joe and moreso his contract is no longer here but saying Josh contributed more to winning is wrong. (maybe last year he did, maybe). Ask any coach, player, front office personnel when preparing for the Hawks what do you focus on - it's always Joe. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I get the feeling that because of: 1. His contract situation and 2. Teams don't want to give him a long max contract ...he doesn't have much trade value right now. I think the only reason a team would trade for him right now is to get rid of salary.

I'm not getting the idea he doesn't have much trade value. The guy has a very good game. He really lacks a fundamental understanding of his role, but that is coaching. IMO, Josh has very good trade value: he's young, athletic, has something of a post game, can block shots, and can get out on the break. Get him to understand the fundamentals of the game and he's a terrific addition to a team. The Hawks won't get what Denver got for Carmelo, but the Knicks are a dumb franchise. I could see a vet plus a recently drafted guy.

I keep saying the way in way in which Josh plays, the success or not of the team up until the trade deadline will determine if DF will trade him. If he tries to hijack the offense and shoot longs 2's and 3's - he is a goner, if he plays the way we all envision he will be here. It's too early to say what his value will be until that time - he could be traded to a team that is in the playoff hunt and looking to add talent, a team trying to dump salary, different scenarios will play out depending on teams success.

We didn't think marv had trade value and look what we got. Nor did we think anyone would take joes contract Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I somewhat agree with this. Either Josh agrees to take a bit less than the max, or he's traded/signed and traded. There's not a whole lot of trade value for him right now, but we could get a couple of role players and a pick or something to help us stay under the cap next year.

• Premium Member

Nah. What's Josh's future. What happens when his athleticism goes down the drain? Josh has not proven that he can be some Larry Johnson type that can redo himself as a different player. Josh is not physical.. so when his athletic advantage is gone, he's going to be worst than what Joe was. At the end of the day, Joe was a very skilled player. Josh has yet to make an allstar team because upstairs he's not so bright.

• Premium Member

I can't see a great trade scenario now. Maybe a sign and trade next year or something but frankly the only players i can think of wanting in return are players that wouldn't get traded by their team. I think this will be a big year for Josh.

I think the recently draft players may add something to go after. Like: Josh for Villaneuva and Drummond (for you UConn Fans). Josh for Fields, Gray, and Valanciunis Etc. Point is young talent should be on the menu.

I don't see teams giving up young prospects unless they feel they can resign Josh or if that's just the steep price to pay to get rid of a bad contract. Unfortunately, Diesel, neither the Pistons nor the Raptors are in any amount of cap hell to consider moves like that and I doubt they'd feel comfortable being able to resign him.The best bet under that scenario would be a team like Boston shedding Green along with Bradley/Sullinger/Melo or Houston who has a million PFs and would probably look to consolidate them and pursue Dwight.

Edited by MaceCase