• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks invite Isma'il Muhammad to camp

DatWerkk

Source: http://www.examiner....uhammad-to-camp Okay, if you're not a GT alum or GT fan like I am, this news probably doesn't even register with you. You probably don't think this news is worth posting. However, if you ARE someone like me (GT '04) you probably temporarily lost your mind when you saw this news. Let's be real for a minute. Isma'il was a below average offensive player in college. He couldn't hit a long jumper to save his life and didn't have a huge array of post moves. He's undersized for the league and in the seven years since he left Tech he's barely sniffed the NBA. Chances are this guy isn't making the team. However. HOWEVER. He was an above average defensive player and a key contributor to the Yellow Jacket team that fell in the championship to UConn. He's one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) college dunkers of my generation. His highlight reel is some of the greatest ish (no pun intended) that you'll ever see. I told my wife if he makes the team I'll have to strongly consider moving back to Atlanta, but I might just have to settle for a #2 Muhammad Hawks jersey. =) =) =)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As a GT basketball fan, I can honestly say I'm stoked. Muhammad, Will Bynum, and Jarett Jack made plays that had me jumping up and down in my living room like a crazy man. Muhammad was a BEAST on the fastbreak and a good, hardnosed defender. The team needs more players with his mentality. I hope he makes theam, even if he gets stashed in the NBDL.

• Moderators

Here's hoping the Heat sign Engin Atsur, just for old-times' sake!When C-Viv mentioned a Yellow Jacket signing was in the works I almost joked it would probably be Muhammad.I believe he works in finance research in the ATL area, not a bad deal to fall back on if so. Cut in training camp by the Bobcats last season (their loss). He was in Saudi Arabia balling with the star-spangled-averse Mahmoud Abdul Rauf for a couple years. New Zealand and Southeast Australia earlier this year, and had a cup of tea in Iceland and France, too. The man gets around!Gonna enjoy it while it lasts!~lw3

I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many of you guys think he might make the final roster. I know we have a need at that spot, just wasn't sure if Ish would be up to the challenge.I swear if we get a season of Jeff Teague running the break with Josh Smith and Muhammad on the wings, I will DIE.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think he is a big time long shot, but a lot of people in Atlanta would be excited about him - both Tech fans and anyone who likes watching a highlight reel dunker who gets into it on defense. One question I have is whether he is big enough to play NBA SF. 6'6'' is in that questionable zone (clearly good size for a SG but he will only make the team as a SF).

• Moderators

Mario West made the team......3 times. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

I'm not saying outside the realm of possibility. I am just saying that we have a new GM who seems to be making a concerted effort to deliver quality production down to the end of the bench this season and that makes it a pretty long shot. But as a type that, Jerry Stackhouse had a job last season which I never understood so I will just readily agree and say that I am interested to see how he does in camp and will be rooting for him to do well.

They are asking Stackhouse to be a player/coach this year. He is a great locker room guy. He brought leadership which is very valuable. That is why he still makes rosters.

Yea all that is fine but he is done as a player. They are paying him a guaranteed higher amount while also burning a limited roster spot to keep him on a roster when they can reap all of the same benefits and none of the negatives by just placing him as an assistant. The money certainly doesn't matter to them but a younger or more talented player may benefit the team greater than Stackhouse can. Too put it simply, both Blatche and Chills are unguaranteed whereas Stack is.

• Moderators

They are asking Stackhouse to be a player/coach this year. He is a great locker room guy. He brought leadership which is very valuable. That is why he still makes rosters.

I agree that is the rationale but why not just bring him in as an assistant coach and have the roster spot for a viable player? Maybe Stackhouse can't give it up and people just think his locker room presence is that valuable.

Don't see how Ish will even get past the first week of camp. At Tech his jumper would make the most anti Smoove detractor blush. He literally had zero range. But his athletic ability was right up there with Josh.Matter of fact, he and Mario are near clones of each other.

Don't see how Ish will even get past the first week of camp. At Tech his jumper would make the most anti Smoove detractor blush. He literally had zero range. But his athletic ability was right up there with Josh. Matter of fact, he and Mario are near clones of each other.

Let's not exaggerate. Ish would have entire seasons where he shot like 40% from 3... because he was smart enough to take only like five 3 pointers in an entire season. That to me says he perhaps was smarter about his strengths and weaknesses than Josh. But it also says he doesn't have "literally" zero range. Unless of course you don't quite understand what the word "literally" means.