• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

R.I.P. Center position

TheNorthCydeRises

NBA to change All-Star ballot, eliminating center

By David Aldridge, TNT Analyst

Posted Oct 23, 2012 10:23 PM - Updated Oct 23, 2012 11:31 PM

The NBA is finally doing something about the Duncan Dilemma.

The league will announce Wednesday a change to its All-Star ballot that will, for the first time, allow fans to vote for three undefined "frontcourt" players instead of having to vote for two forwards and a center. With more and more teams playing smaller than in the past, the definition of "center" was becoming increasingly difficult -- not to mention finding enough quality big men for whom to vote.

More on this story via this link

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/10/23/all-star-centers-ballot/index.html

Now, this is the potential list of players that both Horford and Smith have to go up againstYou know the fans will vote in- Lebron- Melo- BynumDepending on how many guards are taken, here are the candidates for the remaining 3 to 4 slots, regardless of frontcourt position- Smith- Horford- Bosh- Garnett- Pierce- Granger- Hibbert- Noah- Deng- Chandler- StoudemireWe all know the deck was stacked against Smith at PF. But now with then entire frontcourt being consolidated, it just got stacked against Horford. While the reserves in All-Star games have never been required to fill specific positions, coaches usually chose the 2nd team in that fashion, while filling the last two spots with "worthy" candidates.Now, coaches don't necessarily have to seek to place that 2nd true center on the squad. They can opt to go with Granger, Pierce, Bosh, and Deng, and just let Bosh be the backup center.This may be the death of All-Star AL.

• Like 1

I like Al but he really isn't that good and neither is Josh. Josh will never see a all-star game now. This could be great for the Hawks because now people can't use that lame mess about Al being a all-star as a reason to keep playing him there. Al will probably now be even more apt to speak out against playing the position when he can't get any glory for it.

The selection of the Olympic team pretty much killed the center position (granted, Howard was out).

Now, this is the potential list of players that both Horford and Smith have to go up against You know the fans will vote in - Lebron - Melo - Bynum

Howard for sure, probably over Bynam now that he's in LA.

• Moderators

I suspect it's going to just make it more incumbent upon Smoove and Horf to stand out by upping their performance and production in the absence of Josephat Johnson. The coaches will bring along KG and Pierce no matter what (at least, so long as the Celtics stay above .500), and the Heatles will get Bosh in, so there's really no more than one more spot available.** They'll need to average 20-and-10 just to be in the conversation. 1.5-plus blocks won't hurt, either.Even under the prior system, it would be a little harder for Al to break through the entrenched favoritism for NYC and Chicago players (Chandler, Noah, and Lopez now that he's crossed the Hudson) plus the emerging center talent (Monroe) on weaker teams would have a chance to turn coaches' heads with their numbers. Plus, don't discount what a nation of Canadians can do to get some pull (a healthy Bargnani, listed as a forward last year).Smoove has similar big-metro issues (Amar'e, Deng, Boozer... and watch as Crash and Hump suddenly become relevant). Since it's coaches' making the final pick, the Jumpers must die. And of course they haven't and won't, which is why they'll be used as the scapegoat for this season's snub.All-Star nods are more curse than blessing for this team, anyway. Watch eyes roll to the back of people's heads whenever you say, "Six-time All-Star Joe Johnson" or "Two-time All-Star Al Horford". Whenever those phrases are uttered, locally or in the lamestream media, there is usually derision behind it. No other NBA team with multi-year All-Stars gets that business. Besides, I'd rather not see any more Hawks teams sporting multiple All-Stars in a first-round deathmatch with the likes of the Milwaukee Bucks.**Can anyone explain, in a league with 13-roster minimums, why we are still stuck on 12 All-Star players for each team?~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3
  • Like 1

Howard for sure, probably over Bynam now that he's in LA.

He meant by conference, although it remains to be seen if Bynum will even get in as a starter without the LA market votes and since his position has been eliminated his votes will also suffer from being split amongst other frontcourt members. There's a bigger gap between 19 and 12 and just the rest of the C crop and that number and the rest of the frontcourt crop. For instance, Amar'e in a down year had 18 and 8 so factors like that may keep Bynum from getting 800K votes like he once did. Edited by MaceCase

• Moderators

He meant by conference, although it remains to be seen if Bynum will even get in as a starter without the LA market votes and since his position has been eliminated his votes will also suffer from being split amongst other frontcourt members. There's a bigger gap between 19 and 12 and just the rest of the C crop and that number and the rest of the frontcourt crop. For instance, Amar'e in a down year had 18 and 8 so factors like that may keep Bynum from getting 800K votes like he once did.

I'm figuring Bynum will get the Tinseltown votes anyway: since they're voting for our conference, too, it might as well be him. L.A. would love to see Bynum versus D-Ho and Kobe in Houston next February. But I do agree for the rest of the country, there will be a wait-and-see with Bynum before putting him down in ink among the East's top 3. Aside: There's a center named Al on the West coast that will be having even more of a sad over this development (small market and up against Durant, Howard, Griffin/Love). My West coast curiosity, though, will be at guard. Who gets more fan votes for the second backcourt starter... Chris Paul... or Jeremy Lin? ~lw3 Edited by lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

I hate this change. I don't give two beans about the actual All Star game but All Star status is how judge players and it is an accomplishment they earn on the court. Both Horford and Josh put up All Star numbers and effort on the court. This change not only kills the center position it also means you'll never see guys from smaller markets like Atlanta get any players selected on the All Star team.Fans will vote in popular small forwards and perhaps a token power forward. Then the coaches will continue to show laughable favoritism to teams like Boston and Chicago or any New York team and when you look at the spots left on the roster there's simply no room left for deserving players.

• Moderators

**Can anyone explain, in a league with 13-roster minimums, why we are still stuck on 12 All-Star players for each team? ~lw3

Doc Rivers, for one, is tired of trying to explain that. Thanks, Doc!

Rivers also suggested that the league will move to 13 players on the All-Star roster this season, though admitted he was uncertain if that change had been finalized yet. "I actually pushed for more," said Rivers, who later added, "I think we're going to 13. I think that's going to happen."

~lw3