• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Goodbye James & Anderson

WraithSentinel

• Moderators

Pretty good efforts by Damion this preseason, it should get him some more looks around the league going forward.The partial guarantee to Tolliver pretty much sealed the deal. All he needed was to show a pulse and he did more than that on a couple occasions. Ferry was never comfortable going forward with a 15-man roster, so it would have to be a Herculean effort by James and Anderson to make him change his mind.~lw3

• Like 1

I am surprised to see Damion go as well, he put up nearly 7 points and 7 rebounds in 21 minutes during the preseason. Perhaps they're thinking that Tolliver will start at SF and give us more size there... although he was thoroughly out rebounded by James in the preseason.

• Like 1

Guess the SF rotation of Korver, Deshawn and Josh/Tolliver was enough.Allows the team flexibility: they can be brought back if they don't catch on elsewhere lucratively.A spot is open for any other guy that was recently released by another team ( J-Pow!) or could be made available throughout the season especially right around when guarantees start kicking in or vets on losing teams start wanting buyoutsalso, when 10-days start up there's space for whatever scouted DLeaguer to be a warm practice body allowing vets like Josh to take some days off to ice their shooting elbows.

You guys keep singing the praises of Ferry. So why do you want him to upgrade certain positions, when he's brought in the people that he wanted at those positions?A trade isn't coming, until it's determined that we're good enough to elevate our playoff status . . or not good enough to make the playoffs.Ferry is perfectly content with guys like Deshawn Stevenson, Johan Petro and Anthony Tolliver on the team. And we all know what Larry Drew is about. Offense > Defense > Rebounding.

You guys keep singing the praises of Ferry. So why do you want him to upgrade certain positions, when he's brought in the people that he wanted at those positions? A trade isn't coming, until it's determined that we're good enough to elevate our playoff status . . or not good enough to make the playoffs. Ferry is perfectly content with guys like Deshawn Stevenson, Johan Petro and Anthony Tolliver on the team. And we all know what Larry Drew is about. Offense > Defense > Rebounding.

Do you really think that the guys on this roster are the guys that Ferry wanted...No, ferry was more interested in trading Joe than getting spare parts and expirings in exchange. Why do we want him to upgrade certain positions, really? We all know that this is not a championship team as constructed. Trades and possibilities of trades won't happen unti the trade deadline when we are either vying for a play off spot or out of the playoffs. Edited by JayBirdHawk

Do you really think that the guys on this roster are the guys that Ferry wanted...No, ferry was more interested in trading Joe than getting spare parts and expirings in exchange. Why do we want him to upgrade certain positions, really? We all know that this is not a championship team as constructed. Trades and possibilities of trades won't happen unti the trade deadline when we are either vying for a play off spot or out of the playoffs.

JayBird . . we could've easily cut any of those New Jersey guys, or bought them out, just like we did Jordan Farmar. But just look at Ferry's moves since the JJ trade. - We trade Marvin for Devin Harris . . a good trade - Then we bring in Lou Williams . . a good signing, except now we have 3 PGs on the team now that we pretty much have to play . . and might have to play 2 of those guys alongside each other for significant stretches. - We sign Kyle Korver using the trade exception from JJ . . a good signing, although this pretty much makes Anthony Morrow moot. - Despite already having Mike Scott and Ivan as the backup PF, we bring in a guy who is essentially the "Black Vladimir Radmanovic" ( as an AJC blogger called him ), in Anthony Tolliver . . and he makes the team. - we cut Keith Benson, despite him being more offensively talented than even Zaza - we cut Damion James, who proved that he can decently defend SFs and rebound at a very high rate, unlike our other SFs - and poor John Jenkins, our #1 pick. Will he even see the floor this year with all of these PGs and SGs we have on this team? Some of you guys want to erect statues of Ferry out in front of Philips, but he's built a team so out of balance, it's pitiful. I just hope the Golden State East squad he's assembled here is mildly successful, and doesn't blow up in his face. Ferry's true worth as a GM will come next summer, when he has those "cap space jerseys" to pass out to potential prospects. Edited by northcyde
  • Like 2

Knew Anderson would be gone, but I am surprised James is gone. Thought he put up a good showing in the preseason. Guess they felt they wanted Scott on the bench and not as a reserve. Plus, James and Tolliver are about the same player.

No they aren't, Damion James can defend the wing and Scott and Tolliver can't. Basically we have 4 PF, Smith, Tolliver, Scott and Ivan, 3 C, Horford, Zaza and Petro and 2 SF Korver and Stevenson that lack size, rebounding, athleticism.... I hope some moves are coming.

No they aren't, Damion James can defend the wing and Scott and Tolliver can't. Basically we have 4 PF, Smith, Tolliver, Scott and Ivan, 3 C, Horford, Zaza and Petro and 2 SF Korver and Stevenson that lack size, rebounding, athleticism.... I hope some moves are coming.

Add to that 3 PGs in which all 3 may play some SG at some point in games. This team could very well be a more efficient offensive team, and be much worse off than year's past, because we can't stop anybody or rebound the basketball. I guess that's how Ferry and Drew like it though. Let's score 112 ppg, and hope we hold our opponent to 110 ppg.
  • Like 1

JayBird . . we could've easily cut any of those New Jersey guys, or bought them out, just like we did Jordan Farmar. But just look at Ferry's moves since the JJ trade.

- We trade Marvin for Devin Harris . . a good trade

- Then we bring in Lou Williams . . a good signing, except now we have 3 PGs on the team now that we pretty much have to play . . and might have to play 2 of those guys alongside each other for significant stretches.

- We sign Kyle Korver using the trade exception from JJ . . a good signing, although this pretty much makes Anthony Morrow moot.

- Despite already having Mike Scott and Ivan as the backup PF, we bring in a guy who is essentially the "Black Vladimir Radmanovic" ( as an AJC blogger called him ), in Anthony Tolliver . . and he makes the team.

- we cut Keith Benson, despite him being more offensively talented than even Zaza

- we cut Damion James, who proved that he can decently defend SFs and rebound at a very high rate, unlike our other SFs

- and poor John Jenkins, our #1 pick. Will he even see the floor this year with all of these PGs and SGs we have on this team?

Some of you guys want to erect statues of Ferry out in front of Philips, but he's built a team so out of balance, it's pitiful. I just hope the Golden State East squad he's assembled here is mildly successful, and doesn't blow up in his face. Ferry's true worth as a GM will come next summer, when he has those "cap space jerseys" to pass out to potential prospects.

Built a team?....you don't build a team by making one trade and in one season - that takes time and we haven't played one meaningful game of basketball as yet. Bought out players count against the cap (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) which we are right at, so he would still have to bring in players for minimum level salaries. The teams payroll despite getting rid of JJ and Marvin is still limited this year.

Would I prefer if he kept the young guys (like Benson, Jones and the rookies) and played and developed them - sure but that also means possibly more losses. Is it a total rebuild, start from scratch? no - so unfortunately the young guys will suffer. As you said Ferry's work as a GM has only just begun and next season and the the next few years will tell his worth.

People talking about building a statue for Ferry had absolutely nothing to do with the team as constructed thus far it was ALL about "trading the untradeable contract of Joe" and actually getting something for Marvin - nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Built a team?....you don't build a team by making one trade and in one season - that takes time and we haven't played one meaningful game of basketball as yet. Bought out players count against the cap (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) which we are right at, so he would still have to bring in players for minimum level salaries. The teams payroll despite getting rid of JJ and Marvin is still limited this year.

Would I prefer if he kept the young guys (like Benson, Jones and the rookies) and played and developed them - sure but that also means possibly more losses. Is it a total rebuild, start from scratch? no - so unfortunately the young guys will suffer. As you said Ferry's work as a GM has only just begun and next season and the the next few years will tell his worth.

People talking about building a statue for Ferry had absolutely nothing to do with the team as constructed thus far it was ALL about "trading the untradeable contract of Joe" and actually getting something for Marvin - nothing more, nothing less.

I agree. One of the phrases Ferry has used repeatedly is "opportunistic", in that he feels that cap flexibility they've acquired will allow them to have an advantage in pursuing possibilities that could make them greater than they previously were. Everyone wants to assume this means simply going after free agents. But, it could mean packaging a current player with cap space in a trade for a more impactful player.
  • Like 1

The jersey guys are all trade pieces, every last one of em. So is KK. DJ could have atleast been kept until his contract became fully guaranteed.Give Ferry until Feb. to get something done. I mean he just go rid of 100 million dollars in one fell swoop. Should be able to get something for the rental pieces we have accrued.

Let's see. Win a few less games to see if young players could possibly outperform their worth in the future ..... Or play mediocre veteran players in which you know exactly what you're getting, includingno development from them.

That's a no brainer. I'd much rather watch a 37 win Hawks team with Jenkins, Ivan, Benson, James, and Scott trying to develop their games ..... Instead of watching a 42 win team consisting of Tolliver, Stevenson, Petro, and Morrow trying to just hang onto any team that will pay them to simply fill a roster spot.

The Hawks have no shot at developing raw young talent, if washed up or almost washed up players take minutes from them. It's a reason almost none of the vet minimum guys we acquire every year, aren't re-signed.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1

Let's see. Win a few less games to see if young players could possibly outperform their worth in the future ..... Or play mediocre veteran players in which you know exactly what you're getting, includingno development from them. That's a no brainer. I'd much rather watch a 37 win Hawks team with Jenkins, Ivan, Benson, James, and Scott trying to develop their games ..... Instead of watching a 42 win team consisting of Tolliver, Stevenson, Petro, and Morrow trying to just hang onto any team that will pay them to simply fill a roster spot. The Hawks have no shot at developing raw young talent, if washed up or almost washed up players take minutes from them. It's a reason almost none of the vet minimum guys we acquire every year, aren't re-signed.

I hope you got some cheese with all that whine. Jenkins has a ways to go and with guys playing for new contracts, Jenkins really will not see the court. Get over that. Morrow, Korver and Toliver gives light out shooting as well as veteran acumen. Scott is the surprise and will see some time on the court. This is a fresh bunch of prize fighters. This aint for developing it is for taking names as long as we can. There are guys in the roster that DO have something to prove and will play with a chip on their shoulders. I'm excited. I believe they asked James to "not go far away" for a month and continue the rehab. Damon James will be in the league this year. This group is not about the future, this is about bang for the buck, everyone get a contract for next year (on some team), hang loose and win as many games, take names and hearts as we go.

I'm surprised they let Damion go though. I figured James would get the cut, but not him. I hope ferry has a plan to go out and get a SF.

It seems as though our Hawks are still in pursuit of a player like Dwight Howard (If not him). If so they may want to either play Horford as a pf and Josh as sf or they want to move one of the forwards and get a top notch center and/or small forward. It was just a move to keep the options open . A business move nonetheless. Even though I personally wanted Damion James to be on our team and will still keep him in my 2k13 association!!