Blech Football

lethalweapon3

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Now we'll be stuck with PJ for another season? Congratulations... I guess... http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/college-football-rapidreports/21054007/miami-selfimposes-postseason-ban-georgia-tech-wins-coastal Is Nevin Shapiro our MVP? ~lw3

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

You wanna build the Iron Man suit? This is Georgia Tech! WE CAN DO THAT!

You wanna change the world? You're at Georgia Tech! YOU CAN DO THAT!

You wanna play theme music during a convocation like a bad *ss? You're at Georgia Tech! YOU CAN DO THAT! I AM DOING THAT!

You wanna get two yards on 3rd-down-and-2? You're at Georgia Tech! Ask your foes for permission!

You wanna dump the Paul Johnson system for good? Well, see, now, hold on there, fella, that's a bit complicated...

~lw3

• Like 1

You wanna build the Iron Man suit? This is Georgia Tech! WE CAN DO THAT!

You wanna change the world? You're at Georgia Tech! YOU CAN DO THAT!

You wanna play theme music during a convocation like a bad *ss? You're at Georgia Tech! YOU CAN DO THAT! I AM DOING THAT!

You wanna get two yards on 3rd-down-and-2? You're at Georgia Tech! Ask your foes for permission!

You wanna dump the Paul Johnson system for good? Well, see, now, hold on there, fella, that's a bit complicated...

~lw3

Too funny!

But whatever Georgia Tech are doing, they're producing some of the most gifted wide receivers in the land in terms of being a legit NFL prospect. Imagine if they actually ran a pro style offense and passed to some of these guys? Maybe Stephen Hill wouldn't be 2 years into his NFL career and still learning how to run a route. Just imagine if schools could get their former graduates together for an All-Star graduate type of game and GT could put out Calvin Johnson, Demarius Thomas and Stephen Hill at WR and then a who's (who is that?) list of guys everywhere else.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Too funny!

But whatever Georgia Tech are doing, they're producing some of the most gifted wide receivers in the land in terms of being a legit NFL prospect. Imagine if they actually ran a pro style offense and passed to some of these guys? Maybe Stephen Hill wouldn't be 2 years into his NFL career and still learning how to run a route. Just imagine if schools could get their former graduates together for an All-Star graduate type of game and GT could put out Calvin Johnson, Demarius Thomas and Stephen Hill at WR and then a who's (who is that?) list of guys everywhere else.

It is astounding to me that three receivers with that talent have chosen to go to Tech. Not because of the school or location - just the style of offense they run.

It is astounding to me that three receivers with that talent have chosen to go to Tech. Not because of the school or location - just the style of offense they run.

Yes very strange decision indeed. And looking at the RBs that have come out of there for a triple option run oriented offense to perhaps have your best back be Dwyer is pretty sad.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes very strange decision indeed. And looking at the RBs that have come out of there for a triple option run oriented offense to perhaps have your best back be Dwyer is pretty sad.

I am also astonished that no highly talented running QB has wanted to go there. There has to be some guy who doesn't have the arm to make it at a major school as a QB but who would be athletic enough to be a big success in that offense but it hasn't happened.

It is just very strange all around.

I am also astonished that no highly talented running QB has wanted to go there. There has to be some guy who doesn't have the arm to make it at a major school as a QB but who would be athletic enough to be a big success in that offense but it hasn't happened. It is just very strange all around.

May also be that some of these mobile QBs at other schools aren't intelligent enough to get into Tech? From what I've heard its a pretty prestigious school for education right?

• Moderators

May also be that some of these mobile QBs at other schools aren't intelligent enough to get into Tech? From what I've heard its a pretty prestigious school for education right?

It is but the standards at Tech for general admission don't apply to the football team or really any major athletic team. If Tech was simply forming a football team from the general student population, they would have a hard time fielding a Division III team. Does anyone think Stephon Marbury was there because of the academics?

Here are the 2012 ACC football graduation rates:

http://stanford.scout.com/2/1273612.html

Football Graduation Rates: ACC
Boston College 94%
Miami 94%
Duke 92%
Wake Forest 86%
Virginia Tech 75%
Clemson 75%
North Carolina 75%
Virginia 69%
Maryland 65%
North Carolina St. 62%
Florida St. 55%
Georgia Tech 55%
Edited by AHF

Only Stephen Hill was recruited by Paul. The others were Chan Gailey recruits and he ran a pro-style from what I remember.

I can't say on Calvin but I know Thomas was in the triple option as I remember how dominant he was and wondering why they ran that offense with him being such a stud.

It is but the standards at Tech for general admission don't apply to the football team or really any major athletic team. If Tech was simply forming a football team from the general student population, they would have a hard time fielding a Division III team. Does anyone think Stephon Marbury was there because of the academics? Here are the 2012 ACC football graduation rates: http://stanford.scout.com/2/1273612.html Football Graduation Rates: ACCBoston College 94%Miami 94%Duke 92%Wake Forest 86%Virginia Tech 75%Clemson 75%North Carolina 75%Virginia 69%Maryland 65%North Carolina St. 62%Florida St. 55%Georgia Tech 55%

Wow I didn't realize that, I thought athletes had to meet the same criteria but I guess you have a good point.

• Moderators

Wow I didn't realize that, I thought athletes had to meet the same criteria but I guess you have a good point.

The same point applies at every other school in existence and to a wide variety of scholarships - not just athletics. We all know Corey Maggette wasn't getting into Duke if he had to meet the same standards as any other applicant just like talented musicians, celebrity children, etc. get free passes on entry into their schools of choice in many cases.

There are certain minimum standards but those standards aren't keeping Cherokee Parks out of Durham.

Posted Image

I'm not inserting this image directly because of middle finger related content but Parks was well known for his focus on off-the-court diversions during his college years and this kind of sums up what I imagine a lot of that time was like (for a younger CP):

http://www.eviltattoo.com/images/cherokeeparks2.jpg

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Right, Calvin never played in a triple-option while Demaryus was in the triple option half of his years. But both were recruited by Chan Gailey. So they never committed to a school with the knowledge of them running a triple-option. So really only Stephen Hill went to GT with the knowledge of them running a triple-option.

Agreed. It is still bizarre that the best pro the Ga Tech has put out among its offensive skill players has been a WR. Even just at the college level, I would have expected a breakout RB or running QB by now.

Talking with my family members who are Tech alums, they think the triple-option severely hurts recruiting in another area - defense. Since the defense primarily practices against a triple-option attack, they think Ga Tech is unable to lure many highly rated defensive recruits because those recruits fear they will be stigmatized by the system for their draft prospects.

• Like 1

The same point applies at every other school in existence and to a wide variety of scholarships - not just athletics. We all know Corey Maggette wasn't getting into Duke if he had to meet the same standards as any other applicant just like talented musicians, celebrity children, etc. get free passes on entry into their schools of choice in many cases.

There are certain minimum standards but those standards aren't keeping Cherokee Parks out of Durham.

Posted Image

I'm not inserting this image directly because of middle finger related content but Parks was well known for his focus on off-the-court diversions during his college years and this kind of sums up what I imagine a lot of that time was like (for a younger CP):

http://www.eviltattoo.com/images/cherokeeparks2.jpg

I honestly had no idea that they had lower standards for athletes at colleges, I just always thought that they had people taking the tests for the student-athletes, at least the good ones.

Right, Calvin never played in a triple-option while Demaryus was in the triple option half of his years. But both were recruited by Chan Gailey. So they never committed to a school with the knowledge of them running a triple-option. So really only Stephen Hill went to GT with the knowledge of them running a triple-option.

Gotcha. I don't think I've seen GT play since that game with Thomas when Miami beat them. I think that was the last time both teams were ranked and played each other in a nationally televised game.

• Moderators

I honestly had no idea that they had lower standards for athletes at colleges, I just always thought that they had people taking the tests for the student-athletes, at least the good ones.

Here is the current NCAA rule on this. You can guess how many 2.3 GPA, 950 SAT students get into a college like Clemson, Ga Tech or UGA without being athletic studs.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/eligibility/becoming+eligible/academic+standards

For Division I student-athletes who will enroll in August 1, 2016 and later, the requirements to compete in the first year will change. In addition to the above standards, students must:

[*]Earn at least a 2.3 grade-point average in core courses.

[*]Meet an increased sliding-scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 820 requires a 2.5 high school core course GPA)

[*]Successfully complete 10 of the 16 total required core courses before the start of their seventh semester in high school. Seven of the 10 courses must be successfully completed in English, math and science.

Students that earn at least a 2.0 GPA but not a 2.3 GPA and meet the current sliding scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 1,010 requires a 2.025 high school core course GPA) will be eligible for practice in the first term and athletically related financial aid the entire year, but not competition. Freshmen who are academically successful in the first term will earn the ability to continue to practice for the remainder of the year.

Here is the current NCAA rule on this. You can guess how many 2.3 GPA, 950 SAT students get into a college like Clemson, Ga Tech or UGA without being athletic studs.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/eligibility/becoming+eligible/academic+standards

For Division I student-athletes who will enroll in August 1, 2016 and later, the requirements to compete in the first year will change. In addition to the above standards, students must:

[*]Earn at least a 2.3 grade-point average in core courses.

[*]Meet an increased sliding-scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 820 requires a 2.5 high school core course GPA)

[*]Successfully complete 10 of the 16 total required core courses before the start of their seventh semester in high school. Seven of the 10 courses must be successfully completed in English, math and science.

Students that earn at least a 2.0 GPA but not a 2.3 GPA and meet the current sliding scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 1,010 requires a 2.025 high school core course GPA) will be eligible for practice in the first term and athletically related financial aid the entire year, but not competition. Freshmen who are academically successful in the first term will earn the ability to continue to practice for the remainder of the year.

Wow. Scores like that would get you executed in a country like China. That doesn't surprise me about UGA or Clemson or Auburn or whatever but I'm surprised about Ga Tech since that's a school with so many very gifted kids.

Some schools maintain standards over and above the NCAA when it comes to scholarship athletes. Immediately off the top of my head I know that Greg Little was a wide receiver at UNC around 07-10 and he was denied admission to Clemson because he did not qualify academically. He initially commit to Clemson, then went to UNC who had lower standards. Of course Greg Little also took extra benefits from agents and...yeah. UNCheat.

Historically, the ACC used to have standards as a conference over and above the NCAA and all other conferences. That is one reason why it has been claimed that the ACC does not have much history in football and were also handicapped in basketball.

But yeah, big time difference in qualifications of student-athletes and general students.

What a shock that Greg Little "dropped the ball" with getting into a good school.

The ACC looks like it's getting boosted by Miami and their 84% athlete graduation rate, which is pretty damned impressive!