• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rebounding (Or, Lack Of)?

PaceRam

We have no size, can't box out, and a starting lineup full of munchkins at their position and/or guys who aren't good rebounders (Korver, Stevenson, Harris, Teague). Plus, if Zaza isn't in the game, we aren't getting offensive rebounds. And for a jump shot-reliant team, that spells trouble.Doing the math, I'd say it will be a season-long thing with this group.

• Premium Member

I find it funny that everything I predicted has come true regarding this team:We have the fastest backcourt in the NBA but also the smallest. Translation: we'll get some fast break chances and push a pace but we'll get torched by guards literally shooting over the top of their heads and giving of gobs of rebounds to taller guards.We don't have a real starting small forward and the team in general is horribly undersized at every position. Translation: we have no inside game outside of penetration from guards to create wide open dunks or transition dunks from our athletic big guys. It means we will get obliterated on rebounding.This team will do what I said it will do: we will finish around .500 and probably still make the playoffs but our lack of size will kill us.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, the last two posts are right. The one strength that we knew was our offense, and it is going to take some time to see what we have.Even though our defense and rebounding wasn't good, I did see some effort. I think it is something that will get better as we move forward. Hopefully our offense will improve enough, which will make the other team adapt to our play, and that will in turn allow us some leeway to rebound poorly.It will still come back to bite us come playoff time, but we need our offense to be where it should be to allow poor rebounding.And I'm not saying poor rebounding is acceptable. I just am working with what we have this year. We need our offense to gel first before we can fully judge our Hawks.

Two problems that were adding to the rebounding issue is having bigs helping out on guys alll over the perimeter and not being able to help back and then the perimeter guys not boxing out on the perimeter letting guards sneak in unchecked. You can't be undersized and then send guys out of the paint and have them outnumbered on nearly every possession.

It amazes me that the Hawks got out rebounded 58-36 and only lost by 7 points (and, was actually was in the game until the final minutes).

You mean we were in the game until Josh jacked up an ugly 3-pt attempt which turned around the momentum that we had? Yeah, that sounds like a crappy sequel to a crappy movie
  • Like 2

Two problems that were adding to the rebounding issue is having bigs helping out on guys alll over the perimeter and not being able to help back and then the perimeter guys not boxing out on the perimeter letting guards sneak in unchecked. You can't be undersized and then send guys out of the paint and have them outnumbered on nearly every possession.

Didn't seem to cause such problems for Houston. Teague, Harris, and Williams all got where they wanted to. The boxing out thing is legit but Josh nor Al box out themselves. Finally, LD and others have been saying that it is going to be a team effort. Harden was getting to the rack with no rotation coming from the bigs. I can remember a game last year that we played Charlotte and Nique was about losing his mind at how they kept letting Teague get all the way to the rim with no or late rotations. This is a team thing. From Bibby to now Teague people want to claim its the guards that are hurting us defensively. I am all for making moves. We traded Joe and Marvin, Bibby and Crawford are no longer with us, we got rid of Woody. Blame it on Teague, get rid of him, bring in someone else other than CP3, and you will see that the problem is a combination of things that leads me to say this team basically needs to be blown up. We are just steadily picking at little things that are not fixing the problems Edited by MrMeltdown

• Premium Member

Is this just a bad game (as far as rebounding goes) or is this going to be a problem for the Hawks all season? It might be my imagination (or bad memory!) but it seems like getting out rebounded by the opposing teams has been a problem for the Hawks for awhile!

The people who keep saying that the Center position is extinct and that everybody is making do with PFs???? Welcome to Reality. Asik is not a Superstar C, but he's that 7 foot dude that most teams have that came get in the game and hit the boards. When you have that and other guys who want the ball, you will win the rebounding war. We don't have one of those. Our tall guys are 6'10 and one of those guys is an imposter trying to act like a paint warrior. We're going to run poor Zaza down. Josh doesn't have it in him to be a rebounder every game. Neither does Horf. Finesse PFs. Ivan is about 6'7" and we put all our hopes on him because he's tough. This is where we will miss having some size advantage at other positions. We didn't address rebounding so we will be killed by it. Simple Basketball math... IF you take more outside shots, you will have to deal with more rebounds. Our problem started on the defensive boards though.. they got what... 25 O.R.s???? GOSH.. we can't win playing that way.

You mean we were in the game until Josh jacked up an ugly 3-pt attempt which turned around the momentum that we had? Yeah, that sounds like a crappy sequel to a crappy movie

I put that on Teague more than Josh, no decent player passes up that shot, then passes to Smoove of all people. kid has a lot to learn still. Josh should have never been in that spot regardless though
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Didn't seem to cause such problems for Houston. Teague, Harris, and Williams all got where they wanted to. The boxing out thing is legit but Josh nor Al box out themselves. Finally, LD and others have been saying that it is going to be a team effort. Harden was getting to the rack with no rotation coming from the bigs. I can remember a game last year that we played Charlotte and Nique was about losing his mind at how they kept letting Teague get all the way to the rim with no or late rotations. This is a team thing. From Bibby to now Teague people want to claim its the guards that are hurting us defensively. I am all for making moves. We traded Joe and Marvin, Bibby and Crawford are no longer with us, we got rid of Woody. Blame it on Teague, get rid of him, bring in someone else other than CP3, and you will see that the problem is a combination of things that leads me to say this team basically needs to be blown up. We are just steadily picking at little things that are not fixing the problems

OR Bring here a competent HC who will actually play the guys who can rebound and defend AND keep terrible shooters away from the 3-point line.

I find it funny that everything I predicted has come true regarding this team: We have the fastest backcourt in the NBA but also the smallest. Translation: we'll get some fast break chances and push a pace but we'll get torched by guards literally shooting over the top of their heads and giving of gobs of rebounds to taller guards. We don't have a real starting small forward and the team in general is horribly undersized at every position. Translation: we have no inside game outside of penetration from guards to create wide open dunks or transition dunks from our athletic big guys. It means we will get obliterated on rebounding. This team will do what I said it will do: we will finish around .500 and probably still make the playoffs but our lack of size will kill us.

Your predictions look a lot like everyone else's. We all knew what our problems would be this season and they showed up in a big way on opening night. Giving up an easy 45 to a talented guard and a random 7 footer grabbing 19 rebounds. This will be an issue all season.