• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why ESPN's experts are clueless

thecampster

Take a look at these proposed trades at ESPN and tell before you read below, see if you know why only 2 are even an informed opinion.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/5-on-5-130204/nba-best-deals-top-trade-targets

3. What's the best Josh Smith trade the Hawks can make?

Gutierrez: Smith to the Pacers for Danny Granger.
This easiest move of the bunch. It would require the Hawks believing
Granger, who has another season at $14 million on his deal, would
balance out their roster better than Smith. For the Pacers, it gives
them another ridiculously athletic wing to pair with Paul George (LeBron
stoppers, anyone?), and the athleticism and rim protection needed to
support Roy Hibbert, who's in a season-long slump.

Han: Smith to the Rockets for Patrick Patterson, Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas and Cole Aldrich.
If Atlanta is looking to build around Horford, not many better options
are available than Morey's cupboard of young talent. The Hawks can trade
them for picks or other players that may fit better. And the Rockets
are long known to be in the market to land another big-name talent.

Harris: Josh Smith to Kings for Tyreke Evans and Jason Thompson.
With Lou Williams injured, and Anthony Morrow and Devin Harris on the
outs, acquiring Evans would tremendously bolster Atlanta's backcourt.
Evans could fail to re-sign with the Hawks, but they would still have
cap space to chase other free agents. For the Kings' ownership --
whoever they may be -- financial relief would be the impetus for
acquiring Smith's expiring $13 million deal.

Highkin: Josh Smith to the Suns for Marcin Gortat, Sebastian Telfair and Wes Johnson.
Gortat and Al Horford would make a formidable frontcourt, and the Hawks
also get a couple of expiring contracts. But I don't understand why any
team would trade for Smith, given his insistence that he's worth a max
contract. He'll likely go to the highest bidder, so why should a team
give up assets for the ability to hamstring its payroll with a $100
million contract instead of a $70 million one?

Winter: Smith to the Rockets for Chandler Parsons, Motiejunas, Marcus Morris (or Terrence Jones) and Carlos Delfino.
Parsons, one of the league's best bargains, is this trade's centerpiece
for now, but Motiejunas has the size to allow Al Horford to play power
forward, and Jones/Morris are capable stretch 4s. All three of those
players will get better, too, forming a new nucleus around Horford and
Jeff Teague. Houston has the cap space to sign Smith this summer but
wouldn't have the crucial advantage of owning his Bird rights,
potentially nixing a possible summer deal.

These are supposedly ESPN experts. But all but 2 of these ideas involves 3 players or more for just Smith. In each of these scenarios the Hawks would exceed the 15 player roster maximum and would be vetoed by the league office. This is why you don't listen to trade stupidity at the deadline unless the source is local. Like the beat writer.

• Like 1

That last deal involving Parsons would make us a better team and would give us a lot of flexibility going forward.

but it doesn't Dolf and here's why. In order to make that trade work, we would have to waive, trade away 2 players. Now in the off season in a sign and trade...yes but with our current roster it isn't even doable without dropping 2 players (and Pargo).

It's nothing for the Hawks to cut Petro and some other chopped liver depending on who comes in part of a trade.3 or 4 of those deals makes sense to me. All in the eye of the beholder. Of course you have to steer clear of the luxury tax. I'd love to pull T. Jones and Patterson from Houston. I like Jones, long term, more then Parsons. Jones can play sf and pf when you want to go small. Of course I watched a ton of SEC basketball so I'm familiar with all 3 of their games from college. Parsons is the better player now but TJ has a high ceiling in my opinion.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Yea, "too many players coming back" is a VERY small gripe to make over those trade scenarios. It's not even a detail worth sweating over considering the a beauty of expirings is that you also don't have to worry about dead money over multiple seasons in the case of a buyout or cut.

but it doesn't Dolf and here's why. In order to make that trade work, we would have to waive, trade away 2 players. Now in the off season in a sign and trade...yes but with our current roster it isn't even doable without dropping 2 players (and Pargo).

Petro, Pargo and Tolliver it was nice knowing you!
  • Like 1

And John Jenkins and Mike Scott, if need be.

Smith is just the main name in any deal. Heck, the Hawks might even trade Ivan in a deal that moves Smith. But if they need the extra players to make a deal work, the Hawks could easily part with 6 or 7 guys currently on this roster.

It's not the trades itself that make some of those deals ridiculous. It's some of the teams they have trading for Josh, that make it ridiculous. No way does Josh re-sign in Sacramento, if they trade for him. He might not even re-sign with Indiana or Phoenix. Indy wouldn't max him out, and Phoenix looks to be stuck in limbo for a while.

I'd love the Smith for Granger trade. That's the type of lateral talent that you should get back in a trade for Smith.

The last deal would be great for us. All those guys are team guys. Heck I would even consider Parsons and just one of those guys for Smoove...but if we get all of them I think that could be the best deal out there.