• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Shopping Smith

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

The Atlanta Hawks are entertaining trade offers around the league for forward Josh Smith, but have yet to decide whether they will deal the ninth-year forward, according to league sources. The Hawks met with Smith's representatives this week, at which point the team indicated it was not willing to give Smith a max contract after this season, according to a source. Smith, who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution late last month that he believes he's a max player, which would mean he'd be in line for a five-year deal worth around $94 million from Atlanta. But the Hawks, which expect to be major players next summer in free agency or through trades, do not want to tie up that kind of money going forward. Smith, according to a source, is prepared to move on. He has been one of the most enigmatic players in the Hawks' history, capable of incredible feats at both ends of the floor—as evidenced by his 23-point, 16-rebound performance against the Bulls in the 2011 playoffs—but also capable of driving coaches and fans crazy with his decision-making. Last month he was suspended by the team for a game for "conduct detrimental to the team," after a run-in at practice with coach Larry Drew. Yet the Hawks have not formally decided to trade the 27-year-old Smith, who leads Atlanta in scoring and blocked shots, and is second in rebounds and assists. Team president of basketball operations and general manager Danny Ferry is in fact-finding mode now, seeing what the market is for Smith. The website Hoopsworld reported earlier this week that the Suns had had exploratory talks with Atlanta about Smith.

If the Hawks hold onto Smith for the rest of this season, they could still trade him this summer in a sign-and-trade deal. However, the market for such trades will begin to narrow; teams $4 million or more above the luxury tax threshold, or that would become $4 million or more above the threshold by making a trade, will be prohibited from doing sign and trade deals. The Hawks traded for signed for eight players on the last year of their contracts this summer. Five of those players came from the Nets in the deal that sent Joe Johnson to Brooklyn last July. They can clear more than $30 million in cap room by just letting those deals expire; only Al Horford and guards Lou Williams and John Jenkins are under contract for next season. If the Hawks let Smith walk without taking any salary back, they'd be able to clear more than $40 million off their cap.

The Hawks could be a player for free agents like Dwight Howard, who is from Atlanta, or guard Chris Paul, who famously was skipped over by the

Hawks in the 2005 Draft in favor of forward Marvin Williams, taken with the second pick overall that year. But if they find they can't attract a

premier free agent, they might still be able to deal Smith in a sign-and-trade for an impact player under contract similar to that which they might find in free agency.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

man we have been "shopping" him for awhile. The earliest I remember when we were shopping him was the 2011 draft. He most likely will stay for the rest of the season.

Ya but I think Sund only wanted the #3 or #4 pick to draft Kanter.......who was drafted by the Jazz.

At least that is what the reports said.

Sund burned up Smith's trade value. Ferry probably could have gotten more for Josh last summer but its understandable to want to see how Josh plays in a more up tempo system without JJ hogging the ball. Now we know there has been no progression in his offensive game.........probably even a regression in shot selection since he gets the ball more now without JJ on the team.

Edited by coachx

Well does Aldridge reporting this give Ken Berger and Alex Kennedy's reports any more credit? I keep thinking in the back of my mind that maybe Ferry is looking to move Smith for cap space and draft picks and is planning to go after Howard to pair with Horford to make a hell of a 4-5 combo. With Teague's growth we could probably trade him for Paul in the offseason so that the Clippers get a young PG to replace Paul and we get the veteran who makes his teammates better. Re-sign Korver and hope that Jenkins grows into a starter and we've got a pretty damn good starting 5 and enough money and picks to fill out the bench.

Well does Aldridge reporting this give Ken Berger and Alex Kennedy's reports any more credit? I keep thinking in the back of my mind that maybe Ferry is looking to move Smith for cap space and draft picks and is planning to go after Howard to pair with Horford to make a hell of a 4-5 combo. With Teague's growth we could probably trade him for Paul in the offseason so that the Clippers get a young PG to replace Paul and we get the veteran who makes his teammates better. Re-sign Korver and hope that Jenkins grows into a starter and we've got a pretty damn good starting 5 and enough money and picks to fill out the bench.

The whole trading 1 expiring contract for less desirable expiring contracts + a 1st round draft pick is not impossible..........but I can't get my hopes up for it.

I'm sure Ferry would do that deal if the opportunity arises.

• Like 1

The whole trading 1 expiring contract for less desirable expiring contracts + a 1st round draft pick is not impossible..........but I can't get my hopes up for it.

I'm sure Ferry would do that deal if the opportunity arises.

For a lottery pick and a few young talented players I'd be all for it. I really want to come out of this with Parsons, Patterson or Morris or Jones and a lottery pick and I'd be absolutely thrilled with that haul for Josh at this point.

• Like 1

Well, now we know Josh thru his agent put the max request on the table Ferry said Posted Image

My only joy in life would be if after hearing Josh's request.....

He pardons himself to make a quick phone call as if he's discussing it with the ASG.....

Hands the phone over to Josh with the answer to his request.....

And it's Deke on the other end going "ha ha ha, not today" Posted Image

• Like 3

True. However, I think the real question is does Josh want to stay now that he knows he won't get the max.

Another question is: Who wants to give Josh the max?

I just finished writing this elsewhere but does anyone think that the max is the "Hawks price" and that he's fine taking market or even less but for another team?