• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Resign Smith or go for FA?

gurpilo

What would you do? I mean we can resign Smith for the max, 20M$ a year or

sign big FA like Al Jefferson for 14M$ and OJ Mayo for 6-7M$? I don't think we have a shot at Howard or Paul

Personally if we can sign this two for the right price I think we should go for it. Jefferson is a better fit with Horford while Mayo would give us a starting SG, for the same amount you get a post player with similar production as Smith and a starging SG, an offensive scorer, what would you do?

let smoove leave.

14 mil a year for big AL thats awful. i dont want him at all.

i think oj will get 10 -12 mil a year. someone will overpay him. he isn a star i dont see him nothing more than a good starting SG. i would take him for 10 mil a year for 4 years.

if we strike out sign 1 year deals and try again next year.

• Like 2

First........I'd be shocked if any GM gives Smith a max deal.I'd rather sign Hickson or Jefferson then Smith.Trade Smith for a young player, pick, and expiring contract if possible.With 3 first round picks we may be able yo move up in the draft a little.

Edited by coachx

let smoove leave. 14 mil a year for big AL thats awful. i dont want him at all.i think oj will get 10 -12 mil a year. someone will overpay him. he isn a star i dont see him nothing more than a good starting SG. i would take him for 10 mil a year for 4 years. if we strike out sign 1 year deals and try again next year.

You need a low post beast, like Jefferson, to take out the Heat.I understand the plan of rebuilding and basically wait for the Heats window to close in 4 years.......I also understand the logic of bringing Jefferson in here on a 4 year contract to attack the Heats weakness. Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Josh is not remotely close to a salary starting at 17 million and escalating. That would be worse than JJs contract. I'd probably quite following the Hawks if Ferry gave him that contract. Thankfully Ferry is smarter than that. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I think you have to let josh go at almost any price. He's just one of those good players who doesn't play championship style/level basketball. However much he is paid this offseason, will be too much in my opinion.

He'll always put up good looking numbers and have a handful of great games, but you can't rely on him to make the right decisions when it counts. Cut the cord.

• Like 4

You need a low post beast, like Jefferson, to take out the Heat.I understand the plan of rebuilding and basically wait for the Heats window to close in 4 years.......I also understand the logic of bringing Jefferson in here on a 4 year contract to attack the Heats weakness.

He has great moves and footwork but he isnt efficient at scoring in the post also a black hole and tries to shoot over double and triple teams. hes a defensively liability if we play the heat with him they would just attack his awful pick and roll defense and score almost at will.
  • Like 1

He has great moves and footwork but he isnt efficient at scoring in the post also a black hole and tries to shoot over double and triple teams. hes a defensively liability if we play the heat with him they would just attack his awful pick and roll defense and score almost at will.

Nice theory but but in reality Jefferson dominated the Heat earlier in the season in a Jazz win. Playoffs are about matchups and Jefferson is a nightmare for the Heat.Your not going to beat the Heat in a playoff series playing an up tempo game. You have to bully them in the paint. I'll take a core of Teague, Horford, and Jefferson.....then hope to strike gold in the draft with a wing like: Leslie, porter, Mitchell, Robinson, McCollum, etc. There are ton of talented wings to be had in the teens of this draft.That is the best plan I see if you want to actually compete over the next 4 years in the East.........or you can throw in the towel and wait for James to hit 34 years go age. Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

I agree that is the best plan, let Smith go and go for 2nd tier FAs. For me Jefferson is a better fit with Horford than Smith and probably will be cheaper, I think could be signed for 12M$, if he wants to come here I would do it in a heartbeat.

About Mayo I don't think he will command more than 8M$, I really think we have a shot to sign both players close to the same $ that Smith would comand and for me is definately a better option.

About the draft options again I agree, I think we can pick decent players until 20th pick, Porter, Goodwin, Poythress, Burke, McDoo, Austin, Glen Robinson, Caldwell-Pope, Isaiah Austin would be available by the time we pick.

2nd tier free agents are ok but 2nd tier free agents tend to be overpaid (as we can see with Josh Smith). Instead, I feel we should stockpile as many assets as we can. So, no overpaid contracts.

I'd rather go as young as possible and try to field a playoff team under the cap or just over. Horford and Teague plus some solid, overlooked pieces (like Lou Will last year) will keep a winning culture, and we can surround those pieces with youngsters. You think Paul George or Kawhi Leonard would turn out as well if they were on losing teams? There's a reason a lot of these losing teams stay losers: they don't know how to win, so they don't develop their talent properly and the good players they do develop leave because they don't feel they can win.

We either develop a stud or use our assets to make a trade for the next big name that slips loose. I know some would rather tank, and it would be nice to get the next Tim Duncan, but those bad teams are really bad, probably too bad to catch up. And for every Duncan, there's a Bargnani or Kwame Brown or (gulp) a Marvin Williams. Kobe was drafted 13th. It can happen.

• Like 1

I really think there are plenty of options with Josh...it comes down to what ownership/management wants to do (which, of course, they will never admit publicly).

IMO Josh would benefit greatly from a change of scenery - especially if he went to a contending team. His "skillset" - if you want to call it that - would be a real plus for a team trying to match up with MIA. The Heat's Achille's Heal is inside play. Josh could expose that even more by blocking shots and intimidating - as long as he isn't relied on much for scoring.

The problem is...as a Josh fan I would love to see him go to a real contender and have a chance to make a real impact in the playoffs. However - as a Hawks fan - we cartianly can't let him go for a song.

It's a conundrum Posted Image

Josh is not remotely close to a salary starting at 17 million and escalating. That would be worse than JJs contract. I'd probably quite following the Hawks if Ferry gave him that contract. Thankfully Ferry is smarter than that.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

This could be scene like the LeBron jersey buring in Cleveland in reverese. Fan's burning Josh's jersey if he does sign a max deal with Atlanta.

• Like 2

2nd tier free agents are ok but 2nd tier free agents tend to be overpaid (as we can see with Josh Smith). Instead, I feel we should stockpile as many assets as we can. So, no overpaid contracts.

I'd rather go as young as possible and try to field a playoff team under the cap or just over. Horford and Teague plus some solid, overlooked pieces (like Lou Will last year) will keep a winning culture, and we can surround those pieces with youngsters. You think Paul George or Kawhi Leonard would turn out as well if they were on losing teams? There's a reason a lot of these losing teams stay losers: they don't know how to win, so they don't develop their talent properly and the good players they do develop leave because they don't feel they can win.

We either develop a stud or use our assets to make a trade for the next big name that slips loose. I know some would rather tank, and it would be nice to get the next Tim Duncan, but those bad teams are really bad, probably too bad to catch up. And for every Duncan, there's a Bargnani or Kwame Brown or (gulp) a Marvin Williams. Kobe was drafted 13th. It can happen.

I don't think Jefferson for 12M$ is to overpay for him, we will not be able to sign a superstar like Howard or Paul but Jefferson is an all-star like Horford. About Mayo he is still not there but has the potential, 8M$ would not be a bad contract neither.

I don't think Jefferson for 12M$ is to overpay for him, we will not be able to sign a superstar like Howard or Paul but Jefferson is an all-star like Horford. About Mayo he is still not there but has the potential, 8M$ would not be a bad contract neither.

Agreed about Mayo. I really don't like Jefferson but 12M$ isn't bad. I think they'll both command more money though.