• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone have a feeling that we will get Dwight Howard on or before Thursday?

GameTime

Anybody know how long the recovery period is for surgery on a torn labrum?

It depends on many factors. The Yankees prized young pitcher Michael Pineda as been out a year now with 6 months or so more before he's throwing normal. I tore mine 2 years ago and it took me about 18 months and I couldn't sleep without being in pain or the arm going numb.

I just really don't think it's a good idea to pursue Howard at this point. I certainly am no doctor, but I think that a torn labrum is one of those things that doesn't heal on its own, i.e. surgery is necessary. Do we want to pay $20 million a year for someone to be on the disabled list?

• Like 1

I just really don't think it's a good idea to pursue Howard at this point. I certainly am no doctor, but I think that a torn labrum is one of those things that doesn't heal on its own, i.e. surgery is necessary. Do we want to pay $20 million a year for someone to be on the disabled list?

It will heal on it's own if it's a small enough tear and you completely rest it, but obviously that's not the case with a professional athlete. He's absolutely going to have to have surgery and the only way I'd trade for him would be if we had a guarantee that he was re-signing in the off-season with us.

• Premium Member

At first, I was intrigued by the idea of getting Dwight. But after seeing him this year and with all of the injuries, I beginning to think we should stay away. Plus, it would be beyond stupid to overpay Josh just to have a chance to overpay an injury riddled Dwight. A team whose money is predominantly tied up in Smoove and Howard is not a title contender.

Edited by Jody23

• Premium Member

I agree on Dwight, not interested anymore. You do have to understand the thought process of the Lakers though. They are right at the top in regards to franchises and I dont believe they think too highly of a player whinning and complaining. Kobe is the rock of that franchise and remember he sent Shaq out of town, although Shaq was aging. You better be willing to be a Laker for life or your gone. Dwight has done nothing to assure the Lakers he will resign.

I always see reports that Dwight is unhappy in LA but would probably resign because he'd be a fool to leave the Bird rights money on the table. Why would that same reasoning not apply to the Hawks?

At first, I was intrigued by the idea of getting Dwight. But after seeing him this year and with all of the injuries, I beginning to think we should stay away. Plus, it would be beyond stupid to overpay Josh just to have a chance to overpay an injury riddled Dwight. A team whose money is predominantly tied up in Smoove and Howard is not a title contender.

Let's pursue that idea.

The deal would be Dwight/filler for Horford/Harris.

Next season cap situation.

Williams, Teague, Ivan, Scott, Johnson - 10 million

Presumed starting deal for Josh 15 million

Presumed starting deal for Dwight 17.4 million

Cap situation 42.4 million 7 players under contract. Two draft picks in the high teens for another 4 million a year.

46.4 million 9 players under contract.

Resign Korver for 5 million a season. Same for Zaza, 3 million per for Morrow.

Team situation 2013/2014.

Teague/pick

Williams/Jenkins

KorverMorrow/Scott

Smith/Johnson/pick

Howard/Zaza

12 players under contract, just above the cap. Use the mid-level on a quality vet to play backup point while the new rookie learns plus sign 1 vet minimums. I don't see the problem.

A team centered on Teague/Smith/Howard is a defensive beast. You have 3 shooters on the floor at all time, strong post play, solid post defense and good passing. Good backup center and PF. Free throw shooting is your biggest weakness.

I'll take this team all day long if Howard is healthy.

You have to pay Jeff and the salaries are assumptions but trading Horford for Dwight doesn't kill you. I just wish you could keep Harris at a cap friendly number doing so.

"Williams, Teague, Ivan, Scott, Johnson - 10 million"

So you think Teague is going to accept $1 - $2 million a year? I cannot imagine that happening. (Williams $5 mil, Ivan $1 mil+, Scott +/- $1 mil, Johnson +/- $2 mil. Teague would have to accept no more than around $2 million to get those five under contract for $10 million.)

So we're going to go with Zaza for the year and a half it will take Howard to recover from his shoulder surgery? He'll need some help.