• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta: my rant.

cam1218

• Premium Member

I’ve always seen it and felt it, but the final straw was probably the Heat game after the all-star break.

A moment where I was so annoyed and ready to just give up. Not give up on the Hawks, but just lose faith in Atlanta ever having a fan base that could somewhat support a professional team. This Lakers game did a good job of reminding me of those feelings. It makes me SICK.

I’m not young but I haven’t been there for some of the struggles that some of you have seen. I’m in my late 20’s (which might seem very young Gray Mule lol), so Nique wasn’t much more than a highlight reel to me. I was lucky enough to get a picture with him and definitely hold him in high regards, but my thoughts on him are based on what I’ve heard, highlights and box scores. The days of Smitty, Mookie, Mutumbo and gang are pretty familiar. This isn’t about them though, so I’m not going to focus on the past too much, just wanted to offer some background.

I’m going to go back to my original statement of “giving up” after the Heat game. I have seen it happen many times in our city, not just to the Hawks.

We were not given the rating of worst sports town by Forbes because our teams suck, it comes because our fan support is severely lacking. No show ATL.

The need of a superstar is obvious and much needed. Vick took our city by storm, and in proper Atlanta fashion, decided to give it all away. I don’t think of him as a superstar though, he was just a guy that was talked about.

I’m going to go beyond the superstar argument and say that we could be okay if we had better fans. Confident fans too, fans that believe we can win. The Falcons are close, but you still can feel that energy in the dome. I see it on TV. You even feel it through the TV. Seeing the dome packed out during the playoffs made me so proud but you knew that there would be a weird silence once the game was close.

This isn’t a call out to anybody here. If you post on the ‘Squawk, you obviously are on the good side of supporting Atlanta teams (whether it is your only ATL team or not).

Something needs to be done though, it’s not like it is a bad city. We are full of people; they just care more about where they came from. They come from cities that have a sense of pride. That pride doesn’t escape them, no matter where they are.

Championships help a lot. But unless you are one of a handful of teams in the NBA, they are extremely rare. There are plenty of teams in worse situations than us that get so much more support than we could ever dream of.

Tell your friends. Tell your family. Tell the person next to you in any public situation that this is a good city. Show your pride, be glad you are an ATLien, show up not because of a superstar but because you support the jersey that reads Atlanta.

It won’t happen overnight, and it probably never will, but once the city is loved the championship(s) will come.

The Hawks made me proud tonight because they shut up a lot of people. I told Horford on FB that I wish Atlanta could give you better fans, but there are a few of us that are proud and support your effort tonight.

It’s just too bad half of the crowd that saw it will never share the story.

How easily people forget the Falcons of 10 years ago. Put together an exciting team that WINS and things will change. It's frustrating I know but it is the way it is.

Edited by Ruckus
  • Like 4

• Moderators

How easily people forget the Falcons of 10 years ago. Put together an exciting team that WINS and things will change. It's frustrating I know but it is the way it is.

The Falcons are a great example of what the fans in this city can be. I've have always said that the biggest thing that Vick ever did for the Falcons was make them relevant. He got the fans in the seat and although for a while they cheered for Vick, the fans eventually learned to love the team. The fans in Atlanta want an exciting brand of sports. The Falcons are exciting and have the belief of the city that they can win it all. The Hawks... not so much. They need a guy to make people get excited and want to come to the games... Kinda like what A.I. did for the Sixers. No one on the Hawks are that type of a marketable player. The Hawks needs their Vick...

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Or the Falcons of 6 years ago? The team that never had back to back winning seasons? I don't think anybody really forgets it. They were probably the biggest joke of all of the teams (minus hockey).

But the standard of winning championships to get fan support is horrible. A lot of fan bases will show up for their team when they win games. Even though we haven't won a championship or appeared in an ECF series, we are a lot better off than so many teams that get real support.

It's just the city. The lack of pride is pitiful.

Or the Falcons of 6 years ago? The team that never had back to back winning seasons? I don't think anybody really forgets it. They were probably the biggest joke of all of the teams (minus hockey). But the standard of winning championships to get fan support is horrible. A lot of fan bases will show up for their team when they win games. Even though we haven't won a championship or appeared in an ECF series, we are a lot better off than so many teams that get real support. It's just the city. The lack of pride is pitiful.

The teams you speak of have history. We don't. You have to build that. You don't see an influx of Grizzlies or Bobcats or Hornets or Warriors fans when they are in town. It's the Lakers/celtics/Spurs and now the Heat/Thunder. The Heat had no attendance in their crappy season before they got LeBron.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The teams you speak of have history. We don't. You have to build that. You don't see an influx of Grizzlies or Bobcats or Hornets or Warriors fans when they are in town. It's the Lakers/celtics/Spurs and now the Heat/Thunder. The Heat had no attendance in their crappy season before they got LeBron.

But all of the teams listed above (minus the Bobcats lol) have a city that does a better job of supporting their team.

I know that a superstar or a deep winning tradition would help. But you watch the games and you'd think we were the Bobcats.

The Falcons are a great example of what the fans in this city can be. I've have always said that the biggest thing that Vick ever did for the Falcons was make them relevant. He got the fans in the seat and although for a while they cheered for Vick, the fans eventually learned to love the team. The fans in Atlanta want an exciting brand of sports. The Falcons are exciting and have the belief of the city that they can win it all. The Hawks... not so much. They need a guy to make people get excited and want to come to the games... Kinda like what A.I. did for the Sixers. No one on the Hawks are that type of a marketable player. The Hawks needs their Vick...

Having good ownership also helps....the Hawks also need their Aurthur Blank.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Of the other NBA markets that haven't won a title but have more loyal fans, 1) they are much smaller towns (OKC), 2) they have much older teams that may have won a title a long time ago (Bucks), or 3) they only have one team to support in the first place (OKC). What Atlanta lacks is city pride, even from people that are from here. Also, cable sports has made it easy to cheer for stars, and fans are basically free agents unless they have dignity or championships to fall back on. People are too lazy to be loyal, it's easier to masquerade as a "die-hard" fan for another team or a superstar player. Only someone that loves Atlanta, not just lives there, will ride or die with the Hawks, or any Atlanta team for that matter. It'll be all the sweeter when we finally do win a title, because we suffered through the hard times like men instead of jumped on the bandwagon like bitches.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Of the other NBA markets that haven't won a title but have more loyal fans, 1) they are much smaller towns (OKC), 2) they have much older teams that may have won a title a long time ago (Bucks), or 3) they only have one team to support in the first place (OKC). What Atlanta lacks is city pride, even from people that are from here. Also, cable sports has made it easy to cheer for stars, and fans are basically free agents unless they have dignity or championships to fall back on. People are too lazy to be loyal, it's easier to masquerade as a "die-hard" fan for another team or a superstar player. Only someone that loves Atlanta, not just lives there, will ride or die with the Hawks, or any Atlanta team for that matter. It'll be all the sweeter when we finally do win a title, because we suffered through the hard times like men instead of jumped on the bandwagon like bitches.

Posted Image

This post damn near made me cry....

Like I said in another thread, fan loyalty only go as far as the organization is willing to sacrifice for it. All of those other teams that have 'loyal' fans have won titles, played for them, been to a final four, or play in one-horse towns that don't have the NFL, MLB, NHL, or the SEC/ACC to deal with on a daily basis. Add in the fact that folks not from here can order the NBA package and watch their hometown team every night as well as put in an app like Tune-In on their cells and tablets and listen to local sports talk in their original city and you have a slew of folks who wouldn't be bothered with the local product unless they have a marquee star or they're contending; and sorry Cap, winning 60% of your games without once playing for a trophy does not count as contending.

As they say, no nuts, no glory.

Edited by Dejay
  • Like 1

U know atlanta is a transit city u dont have loyal fans so u just have to have fans jump on your bandwagon. miami is very similiar u should see how bad miami fans were pre big 3 era. Even their first year they had dallas fans in miami when they were in the finals.

U know atlanta is a transit city u dont have loyal fans so u just have to have fans jump on your bandwagon. miami is very similiar u should see how bad miami fans were pre big 3 era. Even their first year they had dallas fans in miami when they were in the finals.

Damn, and they call us fairweather.

• Moderators

There aren't a lot of LA transplants living in Atlanta. Most of these people are posers, tools, and douches who think its cooler to pull for Kobe and the Lakers than the team from their home town. I love Atlanta. I've been to a lot of cities in the US and there isn't a better place to live.

• Premium Member

But all of the teams listed above (minus the Bobcats lol) have a city that does a better job of supporting their team.

I know that a superstar or a deep winning tradition would help. But you watch the games and you'd think we were the Bobcats.

Let's state the truth.

Atlanta is a city that will get behind the team. However, the team has to do something to make a big move. We're personality driven fans because for the most part, the fans are transient fans.

Let's open up the History Books for a moment.

1. Falcons with Vick. - Fans were there.

2. Falcons with Bad Moon Rison and Jamal Anderson - Fans were there.

3. Falcons with Deion - He rebuilt the fan base from nothing by himself. (#21from FSU)

4. Hawks with Dominique Early in his career. - Fans were there.

5. Braves with Sid Bream, TP, Justice, Nixon, and Gant - Fans got behind the young guys. As they got older, the fans disappeared.

In all these cases, what you see is personality driven.

The standard to this is ONE Jerry Glanville.

Creator of the Gritz Blitz.

Glanville cashed in on the fan base by being a personality. The man in Black. The man who left tickets for Evlis at Will call. The man who had concerted and signed off on 2 Legit to Quit and the Dirty Bird. He is the embodiment of what Atlanta teams need from their coaches because he drew fans without playing a down of football.

We will never be the Boston teams because we don't raise up our kids to want to be Falcons, Hawks, or Braves.

The real Killer is:

National TV.

Until you get a redistribution of National TV views, the NBA will always have slow markets.

It was the Braves who used to be America's team.

When TBS was the Hawks Station, attendance didnt wane so bad. And everybody wanted to be the next Dominique.

The last time fans came out strong was that Boston Series. Those fans were the last of a dying breed. They were the last ones to idolize being Hawks and Hawks fans.

• Like 3

eh. Why do people keep blasting us Atlanta Fans. Atlanta Fans are fine. Maybe there aren't enough of us, but we are good fans. I hate hearing people say this.

Still amazed at how Hawks fans are saying things that Thrashers fans said a few years ago. Not a coincidence: same dumbass ownership group.

• Premium Member

eh. Why do people keep blasting us Atlanta Fans. Atlanta Fans are fine. Maybe there aren't enough of us, but we are good fans. I hate hearing people say this.

The few fans aren't the issue, and there definitely aren't enough of us.It is a city issue. People that live in Atlanta have no pride in the city and don't care about supporting anything that has Atlanta on its jersey. The support comes when championships might happen but will quickly vanish once all of the possibility is gone.I get it though, it is what it is. We win and they show up, that is what it will always take. I'll never accept it though because it is just BS. Atlanta is a huge city, capital of the south. We aren't trying to find people to be proud of a city in North Dakota.It is never about loving Atlanta and supporting the city. It is about loving that player that makes them good. So once they leave the team you are pretty much back to square one.When Vick returned to ATL the first time as the backup in Philly he received more cheers than the entire Falcons team. I mean, the guy made some insanely stupid decisions and put our franchise in a horrible position. We got lucky that the Ryan/Turner/Smith/Dimitroff combo worked, but how could somebody who actually loves Atlanta sports teams cheer for him?
  • Like 1

It is never about loving Atlanta and supporting the city. It is about loving that player that makes them good. So once they leave the team you are pretty much back to square one.

That's the fcked up part about people that live here. They're too lazy to stick with it. Hell, I really started watching the Hawks during the 13-win season, because I wanted to see them turn it around in the following years. I like the challenge of the journey. People that hop from one championship team to another aren't entrepreneurial to be part of the process. Hell, this is website literally the only place I can talk about the Hawks. Mindblowing.

Edited by Bahamut

• Premium Member

I just want to jump in here and make a serious point. I KNOW what bothers you about the fans and yeah, it pisses me off too. It's that lazy, bandwagon, ignorant, fair-weather mentality. But there are some things that you just have to understand...

First, it's not a sports thing. The problem is our perspective as die hard fans. You take any given thing and you will have enthusiast and casual level interest. That's ANYTHING from cars to videogames to clothes to sports. Go to those discussion boards and you will find the same kind of conversation. Some people are just more passionate about a particular subject and other are just passing.

The truth is, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the truth in ANY given subject is that there is always FAR MORE casual interest in something as opposed to enthusiast. We are the enthusiast and we are fewer in number. If you want the attention of the casual observer, which is most of what you see filling EVERY sports arena, then you have to have a popular product. In sports, that means you need a WINNER. And just like every basket scored is different (ex. clutch shot in a close game vs. layup in garbage time of another) every game is different and certain wins simply mean more to the casual observer than others.

With the Hawks, there are only a handful of those kinds of wins:

A few came in the 1988 series with Boston (that we lost)

A few came in the 2008 first round series with Boston (that we lost, the finale being quite anti-climactic)

One being that "ZOMG" game we took from Chicago 2 seasons ago

One being that "ZOMG" game that we took from Chicago in 1997

The end result of them all were 1st and 2nd round losses.

The next thing is that this "fan apathy" isn't Native to Atlanta and it's transients. The same behavior is all over Georgia. The Braves, Falcons, and Hawks are Georgia's teams (not just Atlanta). But the same attitude about the Hawks exists EVERYWHERE and the same bandwagon mentality exists EVERYWHERE. I've grown up here and I can tell you. Somebody else from around GA correct me and tell me that I'm wrong.

Lastly, this isn't a championship thing. We haven't made the final four. Check the history of my signature if you want. That's all sports, all cities, going back 40 years. Should the Clippers get over the hump, we will be quite unique after this season. It's a lot to ask for a championship. It's not a lot to ask for a CONTENDER. This club has failed to put even a ECF's contender...a RUNNER UP contender on the floor...in 40 years.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but the fans only take so much of the blame. The real fans of this franchise are waiting for something to cheer for.

You guys may have really hit on the big picture, especially from what I see outside of Atlanta and the lack of loyalty to their sports teams.

Maybe it isn't the teams that they're not loyal to, but the city itself.

When is the last time MOST people were proud to be from or in Atlanta? The 1996 Olympics?

Maybe the true problem is that Atlanta ( the city itself ) is actually smaller than any city in the NBA. The actual city itself only has a little over 400,000 people in it. All of the growth in the area has taken place AROUND Atlanta, instead of IN Atlanta.

One of the things I've noticed over the years is that the residents in the counties outside of Fulton Co. will almost never reference themselves as "being from Atlanta". They'll tell you quick that they're from Marietta or Decatur or Dunwoody, but never say "in general" that they're "from Atlanta".

Maybe one of the issues from a loyalty standpoint, is that the rest of the metro area purposely separates itself from Atlanta.

It's easy to support a "winner". Anybody and everybody can support a winner. It's much harder to simply "stick by your team". And if there is no pride in your city, maybe that's the root cause of the problem.

The Hawks marketing people are horrendous though.

Back in 2011, I did something I never did before. I went to back to back playoff games in Atlanta and Memphis, since I basically live halfway between both cities. That Friday night, I was in ATL for Game 3 vs Orlando. That was the dramatic "bank shot 3" by Jamal Crawford to seal the game. A shot that I consider one of the most dramatic shots in Atlanta Hawks history.

From a marketing standpoint, the Hawks had everybody dress in white, with the in-game experience not being much different. The crowd, I must admit, was in playoff mode, because they understood the magnitude of that game. Had we lost it, we probably lose the series. The crowd was in to it.

Then I drive back home, got about 6 hours sleep, and made the trek to Memphis to go to their Game 3 vs San Antonio. They were in the same situation the Hawks were in. Win, and they have a 2 - 1 lead and control of the series. Lose, and they probably lose that series to the Spurs. And once again, it was a dramatic 3 pointer that helped seal the game. This was Memphis' first EVER playoff win.

The difference is Memphis is how the team is marketed. Their "Believe" campaign of the last 2 years blows our "Highlight Factory" campaign out of the water. The "Believe" campaign embraces the entire city and metro area to support the team, and "believe" they can win a championship. And they've now incorporated that with their new nickname for their arena . . "The Grindhouse".

Our "Highlight Factory" campaign encourages our fans to some see dunks and blocks, while we win games. With the Hawks, it's "come to the Highlight Factory so you can be entertained". Style over substance is what we try to sell.

Two totally different mindsets.

Edited by northcyde
  • Like 1