• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Long Brent

benhillboy

Agreed. My top three priorities: DE/OLB (pass rusher), CB, DT in that order.

You read my mind

That's probably the order that you'll want to draft, assuming you can still get the best or 2nd best NT available in the 2nd round, which you probably can. DE probably won't be a priority as I'd bet that Abraham will come back on a 1 year 3 million dollar deal as a situational pass rusher and a guy who can play opposite of Osi from time to time. And if TD is as good at finding CB steals in the draft as y'all have said then you can probably wait a bit for that. Call me crazy but I'm betting that the Falcons take Eifert if he's still there when it's time to pick in the 1st. He's going to need a year to learn how to put his hand in the dirt but he can play from day 1 split out and man that would just be a deadly freaking offense with him added to what y'all have now. Of course defense is probably the bigger concern as those playoff games clearly showed how important that is with blowing those big leads, but a little more offense and that couldn't have happened anyway.

• Moderators

DE remains a top priority for me even if we resign Abraham. First, you can't have enough depth - especially with Osi and Abraham having injury risk. Second, we badly need youth in this area. Third, it is significantly easier to pick up productive young players at other positions than it is as a pass rusher.

I would be excited about getting Abraham back but that point I would be looking to make the pass rush a strength of the team with a future instead of a liability or questionable area with no pipeline to 2014.

Agreed. My top three priorities: DE/OLB (pass rusher), CB, DT in that order.

Agree with that but the delima you run into is that you take the highest graded player left on the board at 1 of your positions of need.

I'm not taking a pass rusher with an 80 draft grade at pick #30 IF there is a NT or CB on the board that I have a 86 grade on.

You also have to forecast what will be left in Round #2 and Round #3 for you to take. I would do my best to draft those 3 positions with my first 3 picks without "reaching" too badly.

Hopefully Atlanta can now sign a veteran pass rush and / or veteran CB so we don't have to reach for need and can draft the highest rated player on our board. For example, if a TE falls in our lap at pick #30 with a 90 draft grade and the best pass rush left on the board has a grade of 82 then you still have to take that TE.

Edited by coachx

Loved Grimes and wish he could have stayed here for at least one more season just to see if he could still play at the high level he played at before the past 2 seasons where he was injured. I think he'll be OK in Miami though but I think he burned out his welcome with Falcons management when they could never come to terms on a deal.

• Moderators

Agree with that but the delima you run into is that you take the highest graded player left on the board at 1 of your positions of need.

I'm not taking a pass rusher with an 80 draft grade at pick #30 IF there is a NT or CB on the board that I have a 86 grade on.

You also have to forecast what will be left in Round #2 and Round #3 for you to take. I would do my best to draft those 3 positions with my first 3 picks without "reaching" too badly.

Hopefully Atlanta can now sign a veteran pass rush and / or veteran CB so we don't have to reach for need and can draft the highest rated player on our board. For example, if a TE falls in our lap at pick #30 with a 90 draft grade and the best pass rush left on the board has a grade of 82 then you still have to take that TE.

I agree that you can't pass on clearly superior talent for a need and that you can't ignore the depth remaining in the draft. Teams that do that don't win in the playoffs. No passing on an 86 NT or CB for an 80 DE/OLB unless something mitigates that like you see yourself still getting an 84 NT or CB in the next round while the DE/OLB talent drops off to a 73.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well just wanted to again say how freaking much I love me some Brent Grimes! This guy has been a top 10 CB this year and the stats are backing that up. It honestly doesn't matter how much taller the WR he's defending is either as Grimes can jump out of the gym. He's having arguably his best season ever and I'm praying we lock him up for 3-4 more years very soon as he only got a 1 year $5 million dollar deal.

Check out the advanced stats from PFF.com, sorted by opposing QB rating when throwing against each CB.

post-5-0-91800900-1386088639_thumb.png

It cool he is having a good season for you guys. I am sure his wife is taking 110% of the credit. To be honest I have completely forgotten about him because I am very high on Alford and Trufant. Both have played well this year for the Falcons.

Yeah Alford is 14th and Trufant is 34th and that's pretty impressive for rookie CBs. Oh and I love Miko, I think she's awesome. I know y'all hate her and rightfully so after comments she made but right now while he's a Dolphin I'm a big fan of her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well just wanted to again say how freaking much I love me some Brent Grimes!

If we are reliving things already said on this thread, let me repeat myself by saying a pass rusher remains the absolute top priority for the Falcons and they cannot get too much talent in this area this offseason.

If we are reliving things already said on this thread, let me repeat myself by saying a pass rusher remains the absolute top priority for the Falcons and they cannot get too much talent in this area this offseason.

The Falcons need help on the offensive line just as much. Actually, the fact that we are primed to be a great offense with a better line would make me feel as if we go get a LT with our pick.