• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shortlist Coaches

Kimsey

Coachx ...I disagree with you. Lawrence Frank not only couldn't do anything with the Pistons which I don't blame him for because the roster was young but also with the Nets. He should have taken that team to the finals..they had Kidd, Carter and Jefferson a couple years removed from the finals. He calls bad timeouts, whines a lot and draws complicated plays. I don't like Mo Cheeks as much either. The rest of your list I like a lot.

• Premium Member

My ranking:

1. Byron Scott = If there's a chance that he brings us CP3.

2. Doc Rivers. Yes.

3. L.D. = Drew did a good job, the question is can he raise this team to a championship level.

4. Sloan. I would love to see Horf become the next Karl Malone.

As you all can see, I have given up my hopes on Paul Westhead.

Coachx ...I disagree with you. Lawrence Frank not only couldn't do anything with the Pistons which I don't blame him for because the roster was young but also with the Nets. He should have taken that team to the finals..they had Kidd, Carter and Jefferson a couple years removed from the finals. He calls bad timeouts, whines a lot and draws complicated plays. I don't like Mo Cheeks as much either. The rest of your list I like a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

NBA history tells of a different story of the Easter Conference then one of the Nets belonging in the NBA Finals under Frank . It was the weakest conference in the histroy of basektball when the Knicks, 76ers, and Nets reached the Finals before Frank. It happened by default. The EC put together a forgetful string of uncompetitve NBA Finals where the #8 seed Knicks made it by default, a 1 dimensional 76ers team made it with Iverson playing iso ball, and the Nets made it b/c the EC was simply lacking talent. All the talent was on the Lakers, Spurs, Kings, Blazers, and Mavericks roster then. Those Nets teams would have been 4th or 5th seeds in the West.

When Frank took over the Nets job the Detroit Pistons had a far better ball club and dominated the EC for 2 years when Rasheed moved from West to East to put them over the top. Then Shaq moved from West to East to team up with Wade in Miami to out class everyone in the East. Then Leborn semi-matured in Cleveland. Then Allen and Garnett moved from West to East to form "The Big 3" in Boston. Frank had no where close to a team that belonged in the NBA Finals over any of those teams mentioned above.

Its fine to disagree on liking Frank or not. I just don't think history backs up the story that Frank should have lead the Nets to the NBA Finals over those Pistons teams, the Wade - Shaq Heat team, Lebron's Cavs, or "The Big 3" in Boston.

The Nets are expected to interview Brian Shaw for their vacant head coaching position.

It's about time Shaw gets his chance as a head coach and he could have it as early as this offseason. Although he's not expected to interview for any position until the Pacers season ends, he'll be a hot commodity on the coaching market. The Nets are expected to reach out to a variety of candidates in an extensive search.
Related: Nets
May 6 - 8:59 AM

Larry Drew indicated that he'd like to learn his status with the Hawks "sooner rather than later."

Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Drew does "not want the process to linger," and he also said he'd like to continue coaching if he's let by go the Hawks. It's been reported that Drew would have interest in the Sixers head coaching position if he winds up out in Atlanta.

May 6 - 9:34 AM

• Moderators

The Nets are expected to interview Brian Shaw for their vacant head coaching position.

It's about time Shaw gets his chance as a head coach and he could have it as early as this offseason. Although he's not expected to interview for any position until the Pacers season ends, he'll be a hot commodity on the coaching market. The Nets are expected to reach out to a variety of candidates in an extensive search.
Related: Nets
May 6 - 8:59 AM

Larry Drew indicated that he'd like to learn his status with the Hawks "sooner rather than later."

Per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Drew does "not want the process to linger," and he also said he'd like to continue coaching if he's let by go the Hawks. It's been reported that Drew would have interest in the Sixers head coaching position if he winds up out in Atlanta.

May 6 - 9:34 AM

I think Drew has proven he is a good head coach and deserves another job. I also think the Hawks may need to go in a different direction just for the sake of generating some buzz around the team. If it was a sure thing we were landing a big time star then i'd stick with LD otherwise we should probably start marketing around 'new look hawks'. LD really has done a great job for us though.

What does Drew need from the Hawks exactly. He doesn't have a contract so he's free to go and find a job elsewhere. I certainly hope that Ferry isn't even considering bringing him back. The whole organization needs a giant refresh and Drew doesn't fit into that plan.

FWIW Drew, to me, is an average NBA HC. No real difference from him and the majority of other coaches out there. My biggest problem with Drew is he doesn't impose HIS will on the game. The exceptional coaches find a way to get everyone on their roster to play the game their way. Furhtermore, the great HCs find a way to impose their team upon the league. They don't adjust so much as tinker. Drew over analyzes the situation and tries to outsmart everyone- that never works.

• Like 2

What does Drew need from the Hawks exactly. He doesn't have a contract so he's free to go and find a job elsewhere. I certainly hope that Ferry isn't even considering bringing him back. The whole organization needs a giant refresh and Drew doesn't fit into that plan.

Drew is technically under contract for another couple of months; so he isn't free to go until the Hawks tell him he is.

• Moderators

Experienced Head-Coaches (that are likely looking for work)

1. Sam Mitchell. Columbus native was at the helm the last time the Toronto Raptors were a playoff-caliber team. Media gold if nothing else.

2. Mike Fratello. Danny Ferry's head coaches during his Cleveland playing years ALL had Hawk ties? Lenny Wilkens, Fratello, and Randy Wittman. Would he leave his TV gigs to come back?

3. Avery Johnson. Former Ferry teammate with the Spurs, took the Mavs to their first Finals. Maybe got a raw deal with the Nets?

4a. and 4b. Jeff or Stan Van Gundy. Likely media favorites took separate teams to NBA Finals. Liabilities if there's any interest in recruiting D12.

5. Maurice Cheeks. Brief Hawks stint as a player. No impressive coaching campaigns (Portland, Philadelphia) since 2003, but getting fresh looks as an OKC assistant.

6. Nate McMillan. Helped Seattle and Portland overachieve in the regular season but rarely got beyond the first round.

7. Terry Porter. Another former Ferry teammate, with the Cavs. Kinda meh, after runs with Milwaukee and Phoenix.

Spurs Guys

1. Mike Budenholzer. Coach Popovich's top assistant. Is he too comfortable in San Antonio, after many years looking for a top job?

2. Brett Brown. Australian National Team head coach in between player development/assistant coach stints under Popovich.

3. Don Newman. Former Spurs assistant and defensive coordinator, has been biding his time this past year with the Wizards, who got way better once John Wall returned.

Other Top Assistants

1. Mike Malone. If you like Chris Paul, he was a preferred candidate of Paul's when Del Negro's job was up for grabs in 2012.

2. Armond Hill. 2 stints as a Hawk player and one as an assistant coach under Terry Stotts. Now Doc Rivers' prime assistant keeps the Celtics offensively relevant, doing wonders with Rajon Rondo.

3. Brian Shaw. Longtime candidate and Lakers assistant currently on the Pacers' bench. Salvaged Roy Hibbert's season.

4. Dave Joerger. Longtime minor-league championship coach may ride out on the Grizzlies' playoff wave, assuming Lionel Hollins is a lock for an extension

Assistant coach interests: Steve Smith, Tree Rollins, Rick Mahorn, Ben Howland.

~lw3

Experienced Head-Coaches (that are likely looking for work)

1. Sam Mitchell. Columbus native was at the helm the last time the Toronto Raptors were a playoff-caliber team. Media gold if nothing else. Can you imagine the post game presser during in-game chat. Instant Classic

2. Mike Fratello. Danny Ferry's head coaches during his Cleveland playing years ALL had Hawk ties? Lenny Wilkens, Fratello, and Randy Wittman. Would he leave his TV gigs to come back?

3. Avery Johnson. Former Ferry teammate with the Spurs, took the Mavs to their first Finals. Maybe got a raw deal with the Nets? No - he keeps getting fired, apparently wants to control everything during games

4a. and 4b. Jeff or Stan Van Gundy. Likely media favorites took separate teams to NBA Finals. Liabilities if there's any interest in recruiting D12.

5. Maurice Cheeks. Brief Hawks stint as a player. No impressive coaching campaigns (Portland, Philadelphia) since 2003, but getting fresh looks as an OKC assistant. Sure

6. Nate McMillan. Helped Seattle and Portland overachieve in the regular season but rarely got beyond the first round. Maybe

7. Terry Porter. Another former Ferry teammate, with the Cavs. Kinda meh, after runs with Milwaukee and Phoenix. Forgot about him

Spurs Guys

1. Mike Budenholzer. Coach Popovich's top assistant. Is he too comfortable in San Antonio, after many years looking for a top job? Sure

2. Brett Brown. Australian National Team head coach in between player development/assistant coach stints under Popovich.

3. Don Newman. Former Spurs assistant and defensive coordinator, has been biding his time this past year with the Wizards, who got way better once

Other Top Assistants

1. Mike Malone. If you like Chris Paul, he was a preferred candidate of Paul's when Del Negro's job was up for grabs in 2012. Sure

2. Armond Hill. 2 stints as a Hawk player and one as an assistant coach under Terry Stotts. Now Doc Rivers' prime assistant keeps the Celtics offensively relevant, doing wonders with Rajon Rondo. Don't know much about him

3. Brian Shaw. Longtime candidate and Lakers assistant currently on the Pacers' bench. Salvaged Roy Hibbert's season. Sure

4. Dave Joerger. Longtime minor-league championship coach may ride out on the Grizzlies' playoff wave, assuming Lionel Hollins is a lock for an extension . Don't know much about him

Assistant coach interests: Steve Smith, Tree Rollins, Rick Mahorn, Ben Howland.

~lw3

Well there are obviously a lot of options for the new HC position. I do hope the best for LD though, I mean I really didn't think we were going to make the playoffs this year. I like the idea of Avery Johnson or Maurice Cheeks but I feel like we are getting getting someone who has yet to be a head coach at the NBA level. I don't really see that as a bad thing if they are competent and able.