• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Considering Hiring European For Coaching Position

MaceCase

The only re-tread I'm remotely interested in would be SVG - no Nate, no Avery, no Byron. Brian Shaw, Mike Malone, Mike Budenholzer, Ettore Messina - I'll take any of 'em.

I like the fact that the Hawks' GM is forward-thinking, much like the Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff is. Progressive forward thinkers set the standards for the future. They form the successful models that are eventually copied. The NBA is becoming more and more European. Ferry is going to create a Spurs-like culture here with his own innovations...

• Premium Member

I trust Ferry. If he doesn't sign SVG I think it is because SVG just doesn't want to coach or is looking for another franchise. There's too many reports saying SVG is our top target but is considered a long shot to sign for me to think otherwise. If Ferry thinks Messina is the way to go then we have nothing to lose.

I haven't been this excited since I was going to my 1st Hawks game and was gonna get to see the Human Hightlight Film.The excitement the night before was awesome then I woke up that morning, turned on ESPN and they reported that the traded the HHF for stinking Danny Manning. Oh the horror.I hope my excitement is not tempered with a re-tread hire.

• Premium Member

Who's to say international coaches can't coach? Messina has a very good resumé and would definitely bring some attention to the Hawks and to what Ferry is doing/has done so far.Talk about a major overhaul!

It's a crap shot, but I'm willing to see what Messina is able to do with an NBA roster.

Edited by BrazilianHawk

Interesting article.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2009/03/25/sports/browns-flexibility-helping-cavaliers-excel/#.UZZEhrW7KAg

At the end of the 2006-07 season, Ferry suggested Brown expand his knowledge of European ball and its players by going overseas to spend a couple weeks with a particular coach/team.

“I told him I would think about it, but I really didn’t want to get pressed in that direction. I felt I could grow enough by staying home and reading basketball books and watching film.”

Then again, decided Brown, “How can I tell players, if they want to get better they’ve got to get into the gym and work on their weaknesses if I resist doing it?”

So, two Julys ago in Las Vegas, the Cavs recruited Etore Messina, a distinguished Italian coach to partake in all team functions. Late that summer, Brown flew to the mountain village of Brunico and fully interacted with Messina’s Moscow club. The reciprocal process was repeated last summer.

“Doing this was one of the best ideas that wasn’t mine,” Brown chuckles in all seriousness.

Danny Ferry did this with Larry Drew last year, encouraging him to spend time with David Blatt to expand his knowledge of European basketball.

That's beside the point though. To me, what this shows is that Danny Ferry has likely been following Ettore Messina's coaching for years now, and because of this, he may indeed be a more legitimate candidate than many believe.

I also think it is easy to see that had Mike Brown not taken the Cavaliers' job, he would likely be Danny's top target.

• Premium Member

You guys are crazy. I thought the reason to go after a guy like SVG is to get a guy who would gain respect amoungst FAs, etc. Now, some of you guys actually think a non-NBA guy is going to find respect in the league. Uhm.. Check out Rick Pitino coaching the Celtics.

Or Calipari with the Nets. How about Tark the Shark in San Antonio? The point is that these guys were the best that you could be on the college level, got to the pros and go NO Respect from the League and no respect from the players. That's because the NBA is a closed society. They will not be accepting of a college coach, they will not be accepting of a Eurocoach. With all of our money, if we were to do something like this, we guarantee ourselves that we flop in the offseason.

• Like 1

You guys are crazy. I thought the reason to go after a guy like SVG is to get a guy who would gain respect amoungst FAs, etc. Now, some of you guys actually think a non-NBA guy is going to find respect in the league. Uhm.. Check out Rick Pitino coaching the Celtics.

Or Calipari with the Nets. How about Tark the Shark in San Antonio? The point is that these guys were the best that you could be on the college level, got to the pros and go NO Respect from the League and no respect from the players. That's because the NBA is a closed society. They will not be accepting of a college coach, they will not be accepting of a Eurocoach. With all of our money, if we were to do something like this, we guarantee ourselves that we flop in the offseason.

Mike D'Antoni says hello.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but this isn't a winning move! Ferry has a chance to sign two superstars this off season and he will need the big name coach to sell to Paul and Howard. I don't understand this. How can a true hawks fan be excited about a move that will hurt our chances in getting superior talent?Why would Paul or Howard come to a team that has a coach with no NBA experience? And Paul wants to win extremely bad, Howard probably does too! They will not play for a unproven coach....don't care what his résumé says overseas this is the nba. I would rather go after Budenholzer atleast he's been around for actual nba championships and a hall of game coach for 17 years.No disrespect but no the euro coach if we are serious about going after Paul and Howard. Ferry has to know this.

I'm sorry but this isn't a winning move! Ferry has a chance to sign two superstars this off season and he will need the big name coach to sell to Paul and Howard. I don't understand this. How can a true hawks fan be excited about a move that will hurt our chances in getting superior talent?Why would Paul or Howard come to a team that has a coach with no NBA experience? And Paul wants to win extremely bad, Howard probably does too! They will not play for a unproven coach....don't care what his résumé says overseas this is the nba. I would rather go after Budenholzer atleast he's been around for actual nba championships and a hall of game coach for 17 years.No disrespect but no the euro coach if we are serious about going after Paul and Howard. Ferry has to know this.

How will having a Euro coach hurt our chances? He speaks better English than our last two coaches. It seems that Kobe loved him when he was in LA last year. He has charisma, knows X and Os, and is a very likable guy. Watch some interviews of him. I may be off base but Budenholzer seems worse than Drew when it comes to personality, motivation and likability.

Do you think this guy (when he talks to Dwight/CP3) is gonna make them want to come play for the Hawks?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but this isn't a winning move! Ferry has a chance to sign two superstars this off season and he will need the big name coach to sell to Paul and Howard. I don't understand this. How can a true hawks fan be excited about a move that will hurt our chances in getting superior talent?

Why would Paul or Howard come to a team that has a coach with no NBA experience? And Paul wants to win extremely bad, Howard probably does too! They will not play for a unproven coach....don't care what his résumé says overseas this is the nba. I would rather go after Budenholzer atleast he's been around for actual nba championships and a hall of game coach for 17 years.

No disrespect but no the euro coach if we are serious about going after Paul and Howard. Ferry has to know this.

Ferry also probably already knows what we all know - D12 and CP3 will not be coming here.

I will gladly eat crow if it happens.Posted Image

Edited by JayBirdHawk