• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Copeland should be the next Hawks SF

TheNorthCydeRises

One of the things about this new CBA, and with the cap space that we have, is that the Hawks can make POWER MOVES to take talent away from cap strapped teams. As good as Andray Blatche was for the Nets this year, they know that they probably can't keep him around if a team offers him a decent deal.

I'm very interested at how Ferry identifies talent that may be "under the radar", whether it be in the draft, in the D-League, overseas, or a guy on someone's bench right now. I truly believe we have one of those "under the radar" type players in Ivan. But another one of those guys is Chris Copeland.

His stats this year:

15.4 minutes

8.7 ppg

2.1 rebs

0.5 asst

47.9% FG

42.1% 3FG

75.9% FT

16.8 PER

58.3% TS%

110 Offensive Rtg

.117 WS/48

What really stands out to me are his "instant offense" type of stats and his ability to knock down shots and score on people in the post. When you watch him work offensively, he's like Mike Scott with a 3 point shot. And if Scott could knock down 3s, fans would be salivating all over that dude.

Like Ivan, this is a dude who has bounced around everywhere. He started out in the D-League back in 2007, then played 5 years in Europe. He got his chance in the NBA when the Knicks signed him to a non-guaranteed contract. He impressed so much that he stayed on with the Knicks all season, even becoming a guy who ended up being their 7th leading scorer.

Now . . . here's where the Hawks can step in. Check out this ESPN article that dropped yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/44510/agent-copeland-wants-to-get-paid

Spencer confirmed that not only does Copeland want to "play and contribute" next season, but he also "wants to get paid." Spencer said Copeland believes he has earned his stripes playing overseas in five different countries and now proving with the Knicks that he belongs in the NBA. Per 36 minutes this season, Copeland averaged 20.3 points per game and shot 42.1 percent from 3-point range. Spencer envisions Copeland's value to be in the $3.5 to $5 million range. Spencer compared his client to Steve Novak, who's in about the $4 million range, and said that because Copeland is more versatile offensively as a stretch 4, he'll be an attractive free agent. In fact, a source familiar with Copeland's situation said three teams at this point are interested in negotiating with him come July 1.

-----

The Knicks' first order of free-agency business will be deciding on J.R. Smith. But even if the team offers him $4.91 million using an early-Bird exception, they could still use their taxpayer mid-level exception of $3.18 million to sign Copeland. That's if he declines the qualifying offer.

ESPN did a follow-up article this morning entitled "Can the Knicks afford Copeland?" It's in ESPN Insider though, so I can't see beyond the first paragraph.

The point is this though.

We need to definitely find out before free agency if we have any shot at Paul and Howard. If not, or if we're long shots, Ferry needs to move QUICKLY and go to Plans B through Z. I want to see if he can not only identify talent, but be persuasive and aggressive enough to bring that talent in.

Ferry moved with lightning quickness when discarding JJ and Marvin, so I want him to move with that same type of quickness when filling out this roster this summer. I think we could secure Copeland with a 2 yr - 8 to 10 million deal, that has a team option in Year 2.

Instead of wasting time always bringing in vet minimum guys who we know are basically scrubs that will be here for one year, why not invest on a guy who can actually play, and might stick around for a few years?

I know people love Kyle Korver around here, but Copeland is a much better offensive talent, even if he isn't as pure of a shooter. Copeland can play both the "power 3" and act as a "stretch 4". In essence, he can play the type of offensive game that Josh Smith tried to play.

Bringing him off the bench, with Lou, Jenkins, and hopefully Ivan or Scott, could give the Hawks a young, energetic bench to change the pace of games.

Get it done Ferry.

LOL . . that dude would be the 7th man on the Hawks, and would sit the beloved Kyle Korver on the bench.

Are you serious? You might be the only person who would take Copeland or Nailon over Korver. Korver can actually start for a championship level team. Under no scenario can Copeland start unless your just rebuilding and you are trying to lose games.

I am not surprised to see someone start this thread. I AM surprised its northcyde. I saw a lot of Copeland. He had a good year but I wouldn't want to sign him. Hes a journeyman chucker in my opinion.

How would he be the next SF if he's not a 3 (I've watched plenty)? He's stretch 4 and would be a great improvement over Tolliver but lets not confuse ourselves into projecting him as a pure wing.

Who said anything about a "pure wing"? I specifically said that he could play the "power 3" / "stretch 4" offensively, like Josh Smith tried to play. Didn't I say that in my opening post?

The fact is that the guy played 1/2 of his minutes at SF and the other half at PF. When he's on the floor with Melo, he plays SF. When he's on the floor with Novak, he plays SF. When he's on the floor with Kenyon Martin, he plays SF.

Are you serious? You might be the only person who would take Copeland or Nailon over Korver. Korver can actually start for a championship level team. Under no scenario can Copeland start unless your just rebuilding and you are trying to lose games.

Could Kyle Korver take Tayshawn's spot in Memphis?

How about George in Indiana?

Battier in Miami?

Leonard in San Antonio?

Butler in Chicago?

Heck, Korver couldn't even be trusted to start for us during the playoffs, after George torched him and made him completely useless offensively. But he could start on a "championship level team"?

SMH

I know he's a fan favorite. But this isn't the first time he's gotten completely exposed in the playoffs. Heck, WE even exposed him in 2011, when Thibs tried to hide Korver defensively, by having him guard Teague . . . and Teague lit him up, rendering him useless for that series.

Can Copeland defend? if he can good.I don't want anymore one dimensional players. I'm tired of wondering if you have enough offense or defense on the court - I want prefer a good two way player than a great offensive player.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

I am not surprised to see someone start this thread. I AM surprised its northcyde. I saw a lot of Copeland. He had a good year but I wouldn't want to sign him. Hes a journeyman chucker in my opinion.

If you saw him all year, how do you come to the conclusion that he's a "journeyman chucker", when he actually makes shots?

Can Copeland defend?

He defended a little in Game 5 vs the Pacers ( 2 steals ), but defense isn't his strong suit. He's a better defender than Korver and Tolliver though . . although I don't know if that says a lot.

Copeland is more of an instant offense type of guy that you either have start a game and plays about 26 minutes, or you bring him off the bench as a #1 or #2 option with the 2nd unit. If anything, he reminds me of a better shooting version of Al Harrington . . . a guy who can play both the 3 and the 4 on offense.

He's definitely not Lee Nailon . . lol.

I've seen the Knicks a lot this year but not enough of Copeland to make a judgement on him. That Knicks team has a weird chemistry. My favorites on that squad (Kidd, Shump) are secondary role players. Woody had to juggle his lineup as much as Drew had. From what I've seen I don't see him as a starter though, although he had a nice consistent run starting during their long streak. I don't like stretch 4s at all unless they're on the glass like Love, which none are.

Edited by benhillboy

Could Kyle Korver take Tayshawn's spot in Memphis?

How about George in Indiana?

Battier in Miami?

Leonard in San Antonio?

Butler in Chicago?

Heck, Korver couldn't even be trusted to start for us during the playoffs, after George torched him and made him completely useless offensively. But he could start on a "championship level team"?

SMH

I know he's a fan favorite. But this isn't the first time he's gotten completely exposed in the playoffs. Heck, WE even exposed him in 2011, when Thibs tried to hide Korver defensively, by having him guard Teague . . . and Teague lit him up, rendering him useless for that series.

WTF are you talking about? Where did I say anything about taking spots and stuff like that. I said Korver can start on a championship level in the right scenario while Copeland could only start for a team trying to lose games.

You need to read what people write instead of assuming what they write and barraging them with bad posting.

I've seen the Knicks a lot this year but not enough of Copeland to make a judgement on him. That Knicks team has a weird chemistry. My favorites on that squad (Kidd, Shump) are secondary role players. Woody had to juggle his lineup as much as Drew had. From what I've seen I don't see him as a starter though, although he had a nice consistent run starting during their long streak. I don't like stretch 4s at all unless they're on the glass like Love, which none are.

Chris Copeland as a starter

27.1 minutes

16.1 ppg . . on on 13.2 shots

3.7 rebs

0.8 asst . . lol, he doesn't like to pass

0.6 stls

0.3 blks

47% FG

43% 3FG

70% Ft

Pure scorer, who can actually shoot.

My thing is this. I'm not into "pipe dreaming". Unless something miraculous happens, I'm not expecting one of the top 2 free agents to come here. So Ferry must have some sort of plan of how he wants this team to be made up, which I'm sure he does .. . that's his job.

Unless we get some alpha dog type scorer here, we need a mix of scorers, shooters, and defenders here to keep this team relevant. Most of all though, we just need TALENT, preferably young talent that we can develop and make decisions on.

I don't want to see no more Vladimir Radmanovic's on this team. No more Anthony Tolliver's. No more Josh Powell's. No more Tracy McGrady's. Those were guys who are obviously on their last legs as NBA players, and are just hanging around the league, getting paid off of what they USED could do. We need to properly identify younger talent that is either under the radar, or younger guys on other benches who are just being misused, and add them to this team.

Guys like Ivan and Copeland look a hell of a lot better than some of the true journeymen in this league, yet, they either don't get a chance to fully showcase their talents, or they're playing behind All-Star type talent, and can't get on the floor. Or the coaches are too stupid to give them the playing time that they need and deserve.

WTF are you talking about? Where did I say anything about taking spots and stuff like that. I said Korver can start on a championship level in the right scenario while Copeland could only start for a team trying to lose games.

You need to read what people write instead of assuming what they write and barraging them with bad posting.

I listed those guys because they play on championship level squads. If he can't take the place of any of those guys, what exactly is the "right" scenario that Korver could be the starter? He couldn't start on the Hawks, so how the hell is going to start on an actual team that is good enough to win a title?

He's played in 60 playoff games, and started in a grand total of 9 of them.

If Korver had the ability to put the ball on the floor and score, or post smaller 2 guards up and score, that guy could definitely be a starter on a championship squad.

But because he can't do any of that, nor play good man defense, he'll never start on a championship level team. Korver is a great spot up shooter who is best suited in a Steve Novak role off the bench . . . that's it. If he gets hot, you milk him until he misses. But to play him 30 minutes a game? Nah.

He is not starting material, defense will limit his presence on the game, go for a safer option as Dorrell Wright or Corey Brewer.

That's a fair assessment, although he has balled when given the chance to start. So add him anyway as another scorer off the bench. I agree that if we could add Brewer, he'd be the starter. But add Copeland as well, and let him be the combo 3/4 man, especially if Ferry decides not to bring back Ivan.

This is all about adding talent that we can possibly develop in the short term. No more almost dead NBA players on this squad. Bring in some actual talent.