Chris Copeland should be the next Hawks SF

TheNorthCydeRises

Who said anything about a "pure wing"? I specifically said that he could play the "power 3" / "stretch 4" offensively, like Josh Smith tried to play. Didn't I say that in my opening post? The fact is that the guy played 1/2 of his minutes at SF and the other half at PF. When he's on the floor with Melo, he plays SF. When he's on the floor with Novak, he plays SF. When he's on the floor with Kenyon Martin, he plays SF.

So the title of your thread says SF but you spent more time comparing him to Ivan, Scott and Josh (all PFs) and to further prove your point you claim that when in lineups with Melo ( a SF) and Novak (another tweener 4) is evidence of his ability to play the 3? Buddy, it's called small ball for a reason unless you really bought into the fact Carmelo Anthony is a legitimate PF in this league after masquerading as a 3 for 9 years. And if you didn't need any more evidence as to his ineffectiveness as a SF look at his splits both offensively and defensively at that position too. So compare him Tolly, sure but Kyle no.

That's a fair assessment, although he has balled when given the chance to start. So add him anyway as another scorer off the bench. I agree that if we could add Brewer, he'd be the starter. But add Copeland as well, and let him be the combo 3/4 man, especially if Ferry decides not to bring back Ivan.

This is all about adding talent that we can possibly develop in the short term. No more almost dead NBA players on this squad. Bring in some actual talent.

I agree, he could be a good addition to our bench, a good scorer, even in some games he could play significant time but defense win games and he is really terrible at it.

So the title of your thread says SF but you spent more time comparing him to Ivan, Scott and Josh (all PFs) and to further prove your point you claim that when in lineups with Melo ( a SF) and Novak (another tweener 4) is evidence of his ability to play the 3? Buddy, it's called small ball for a reason unless you really bought into the fact Carmelo Anthony is a legitimate PF in this league after masquerading as a 3 for 9 years. And if you didn't need any more evidence as to his ineffectiveness as a SF look at his splits both offensively and defensively at that position too. So compare him Tolly, sure but Kyle no.

Question: Did Copeland play the 3 while in NY? It's a simple Yes or No question.

If the answer to that question is YES, why are you even arguing this?

Heck, even Tolliver played most of his minutes here as a SF. Whether it be "small ball" or "big ball", the fact is that he played the 3 in Atlanta . . just like Copeland did in NY. And they both can play a smallish 4.

So do you want to dispute this?

If Ferry constructs a frontline that looks like this:

SF: Copeland - Corey Brewer

PF: Horford - Ivan/Scott - with Copeland seeing some minutes at PF

C: Jefferson - Dalembert

I could live with that for next year, in the short term.

Question, is Carmelo a PF, yes or no?Your problem is that you are trying to fixate on positions in a NBA that no longer cares anymore outside of establishing "are you a Wing or are you a Frontcourt player". In a lineup where Carmelo is the Wing why would I believe that Copeland is the SF? because that's what the media guide said about the starting lineups so I should ignore common sense and what my eyes see? Please this is a weak argument because you are trying to ignore style, skillset and defense to fixate on an archaic position label. you are doing the same in trying to restrict Korver to SF when he just as easily functioned as and was listed as a SG for us. You don't think Kyle could start ahead of Klay Thompson, Danny Green, Lance Stephenson, JR Smith, or Belinelli? No, no, no thinking like that would kill your argument, he's a SF ONLY, waaa.

Playing Josh as a wing worked for us because, gasp, he could defend adequately there while having strengths offensively. There is no one to defend a single wing in a lineup featuring Al, Copeland and Jefferson might as well trade for Amar'e and start Al, Amar'e and Jefferson because.....well they can all shoot.

I love how everyone is concerned about defense now though, but are willing to bring back Korver and Zaza.

If you want to construct a defensive team here, I have no problem with that.

Copeland is a worst defender than korver! Atleast korver knows how to play team defense and rotate. Copeland does none of that.

Question, is Carmelo a PF, yes or no?Your problem is that you are trying to fixate on positions in a NBA that no longer cares anymore outside of establishing "are you a Wing or are you a Frontcourt player".In a lineup where Carmelo is the Wing why would I believe that Copeland is the SF? because that's what the media guide said about the starting lineups so I should ignore common sense and what my eyes see? Please this is a weak argument because you are trying to ignore style, skillset and defense to fixate on an archaic position label.you are doing the same in trying to restrict Korver to SF when he just as easily functioned as and was listed as a SG for us. You don't think Kyle could start ahead of Klay Thompson, Danny Green, Lance Stephenson, JR Smith, or Belinelli? No, no, no thinking like that would kill your argument, he's a SF ONLY, waaa.

No one is fixating on positions. I simply said that Copeland could be our next SF, and that he could play it the way Smith WANTED to play the position . . as a power 3 or a stretch 4. I really don't know why you're even arguing this.

As for Korver . . .

Could Korver start over Klay Thompson . . . HELL NO

Could Korver start over Danny Green . . . HELL NO

Could Korver start over Lance Stephenson . . . you mean the Stephenson that also easily scored on him in the playoffs? NO.

Could Korver start over JR Smith . . . HELL NO, even though JR isn't a starter

Could Korver start over Belleneli . . . HELL NO . . . Belleneli can shoot and put the ball on the floor and go to the hole.

Kyle Korver is a great spot up shooter who would not be starting on any good playoff team that had a decent SG or SF. Yes, he can play SG. That was never in the discussion though.

Carmelo Anthony all throughout his career, has played both the 3 and the 4, because he's one of the biggest and strongest SFs in the game. He can post you up or take you outside. That's why athletic 4's have to be put on Melo on occasion, to try to slow him down.

So why is it an issue when you have a guy like Copeland who fits the mold of those guys who can play both the 3 and the 4 ( albeit at a lesser skill level )? Just because I want him at SF, doesn't mean he'll play there full time. But he has a versatile enough game to definitely play the position.

LOL . . you're like one of my ex-girlfriends in college. Always had an argument for anything I said. I was blinded by her cuteness and that azz, but all of that nit-picking quickly ended that relationship.

So go ahead. Nag some more and nit-pick. SMH @ this dude.

no hes a scrub wtf and a journeyman. He can score but cant do anything else.

But Korver isn't a scrub?

All Korver does is make spot up jumpers. He cant take anybody off the dribble. He can't post anybody up.

So one guy is a scrub, who had to go through the D-League and to Europe, to finally make it to the NBA. But the other guy isn't a scrub, despite the fact that he's been on 4 NBA teams in 10 years, and possibly 5 in 11 years ( if he doesn't come back to Atlanta ).

Korver is the one that sounds like a "journeyman" to me. But he's a fan favorite, so he'll get a pass.

He can't "play it the way Smith wanted to" because he can't defend it like Smith could. That's the only thing that has allowed Josh to masquerade as a wing. He can't even defend it like Korver did (11.7 opponent PER vs 17.6) so how is it that you functionally think that this guy can play SF......and somehow be BETTER at it than Kyle? It's nonsense. Carmelo could take on wings in lineups together because HE IS ONE, Horford cannot because he is not....neither is Copeland. You think we are "nit picking" when people are showing that you have an entirely ridiculous argument but go ahead, we all see you've gotten emotional on this by comparing me to your woman. It just goes to show how long in your life you've been wrong but won't admit it.

Korver runs through screens and moves without the ball. that opens up our whole offense. Korver's curl plays has been one of our go to plays this season.

Chris copeland is a guy when he isnt spotting up for three he puts his head down and barrels right into the defense. he has little offensive awareness so it mostly results in offensive fouls or turnovers.

• Like 1

LOL . . no one is getting emotional dude. You've been taking snide shots at me ever since I've came back to this forum full time. Even dude the other day called you out on your "rudeness" in the other thread. I'm just dishing it back a little.

I think Copeland can give us good minutes at the 3, while also providing quality minutes as a stretch 4, just like he's done with the Knicks. I think he can add some depth to the team overall. I also think he's a better all around player than Kyle Korver.

You, and some of the others disagree. But people shouldn't call that dude a scrub, and then try to hype up Korver in the same breath, who has proven to be worthless on his 3rd playoff team.

Give me Copeland over re-signing Kyle Korver.

And I'd have no problem playing him at SF, just like we did with Smith and Tolliver.

LOL . . no one is getting emotional dude. You've been taking snide shots at me ever since I've came back to this forum full time. Even dude the other day called you out on your "rudeness" in the other thread. I'm just dishing it back a little.

I think Copeland can give us good minutes at the 3, while also providing quality minutes as a stretch 4, just like he's done with the Knicks. I think he can add some depth to the team overall. I also think he's a better all around player than Kyle Korver.

You, and some of the others disagree. But people shouldn't call that dude a scrub, and then try to hype up Korver in the same breath, who has proven to be worthless on his 3rd playoff team.

Give me Copeland over re-signing Kyle Korver.

And I'd have no problem playing him at SF, just like we did with Smith and Tolliver.

Build your own Hawks team. It's clear our opinions aren't needed. The only thing you need is NBA 2k13 since you will never be a GM and tell us how it works for you.

Korver runs through screens and moves without the ball. that opens up our whole offense. Korver's curl plays has been one of our go to plays this season.

Chris copeland is a guy when he isnt spotting up for three he puts his head down and barrels right into the defense. he has little offensive awareness so it mostly results in offensive fouls or turnovers.

So why was Korver so ineffective in the playoffs, if he can do all of this for his team? Why did he not even shoot 40% FG? Why does he always get exposed during the playoffs?

I know people like Korver around here. But he's just too one dimensional for a team that didn't have an alpha dog type of scorer.

What you said about Korver is illustrated perfectly in this game

But as good as Korver shoots, there's a reason why he can't have more games like these. And it's because when teams make it a point not to leave him wide open . . . he's useless.

With the way Korver shoots the ball, if he had a move where he could pump fake people, put the ball on the floor, and go to the hole, he'd be a very dangerous offensive player. Instead, he has to work extremely hard, just to get open enough to shoot the ball. Even if Korver could catch the ball in isolation, and simply rise up and shoot it over people, he'd be a much better offensive threat.

Instead, he's simply a tall Derek Fisher . . . a guy who you can't afford to leave open ( because he will kill you ), but also a guy who can be shut down fairly easy, if you just don't leave him open.

I just think that the Hawks can bring in better talent to fill out this team.

Copeland > Korver

Build your own Hawks team. It's clear our opinions aren't needed. The only thing you need is NBA 2k13 since you will never be a GM and tell us how it works for you.

LOL. Well . . I already built my own team in the other thread.

And a forum is about giving your opinion. This is my opinion. You have given yours. I have no problem with that. I just disagree.

.Yea, I could see how someone pointing out that another is "inept" in both their usage and interpretation of stats would warrant the response "you remind me of a woman". Entirely plausible.It is also entirely plausible to suggest that a player that is both worse offensively (-2.8 PER) and defensively (-5.5 PER) at SF is better than Kyle Korver and will fit in just as seamlessly next to 4/5s as he did 3/4s because, well, look at what he's done in 9mpg as compared to Kyle's 28.But disregard these entirely logical points, I'm just being rude.

I don't like the way copeland plays....it's very sloppy! We don't need a Zaza on the perimeter if you know what I mean. Also he looks very sluggish at times to me.

`

If this is indeed the case (film don't lie) - you can forget about him as a future Hawk...as much as I am a "show me" guy on Ferry - I am confident that this is not the kind of player DF is looking for.

(p.s. - "sluggish = either lazy or hungover"...as a rule)

Edited by DJlaysitup