• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtree Hoops: Mike Budenholzer favored to land Hawks coaching job, according to report

Hawksquawk

• Squawkers

ESPN NBA analyst Chris Broussard is reporting that NBA insiders expect San Antonio Spurs assistant coach Mike Budenholzer to be Danny Ferry's choice as the next head coach of the Atlanta Hawks. Budenholzer has been a part of the Spurs organization since the 1994 season.

Elsewhere, the Charlotte Bobcats really like Quin Snyder, who spent last season assisting CSKA Moscow. Snyder was viewed as a favorite last season, and sources say Bobcats GM Rich Cho wanted to hire him over the recently fired Mike Dunlap. Many league insiders believe Spurs longtime assistant Mike Budenholzer will be Danny Ferry's choice in Atlanta.

Updates on the Hawks coaching search have been scarce and the local media seems to be more tuned into Larry Drew's eventual destination than who will be replacing him in Atlanta. It was previously reported that the Hawks had interviewed Stan Van Gundy for the position but he later denied interviewing with anybody.

Nate McMillan, Kelvin Sampson and Euroleague legend Ettore Messina have been other names that have been mentioned but Ferry's list of candidates is largely unknown. There is a chance that Ferry is waiting to speak with Brian Shaw of the Pacers since Indiana has not allowed him to speak with any teams until after the playoffs are over.

Budenholzer is a strong candidate but the problem may be trying to pry him from the Spurs where he is the likely successor to Gregg Popovich. Ferry is trying to remake the Hawks into his own image and the Spurs blueprint will be a heavy influence. Perhaps that will be enough to peak Budenholzer's interest.

View the full article

I'm still hoping for Messina, but if the reason why Budenholzer hasn't gone to another team is because of thoughts of sticking with SA to replace Pop then my opinion of him has gone up. I was worried that perhaps teams just don't view him as head coach material but maybe that's not the case.

• Like 3

I'm still hoping for Messina, but if the reason why Budenholzer hasn't gone to another team is because of thoughts of sticking with SA to replace Pop then my opinion of him has gone up. I was worried that perhaps teams just don't view him as head coach material but maybe that's not the case.

Agreed (I also like the prospects of Messina although it would be a gamble but I do think Budenholzer would be a excellent hire as well!)! I wonder what kind of influence Budenholzer would have on available Free Agents.

Maybe Ferry can bring both guys in..Messina was an assistant with the Lakers last year.Maybe we can hire Budenholzer to be the headcoach ,and Messina to be his top assistant.Messina can take over for Budenholzer if he screws up.

I have posted before that I don't want Messina coaching our team. I don't understand why his name is even mentioned...

So I'll share my thoughts with you... I've been following Messina and his work for years and let me give you objective first-hand observation... I'll never say that he's a bad coach, 'cause he's not. However, throughout his career he's been pretty fortunate to coach big market teams at the right time. Also, he won't be able to adjust to the NBA game the right way (as other Euro coaches would also struggle with adjustment). Messina, along with a long list of other successful coaches in Europe, have been a student and follower of basketball philosophy preached by prof. Aleksandar Nikolic (the most influential figure in european basketball), whose nickname was Iron Sergeant because he always insisted on tough defense and discipline... That's where Euro and NBA games differ like day and night...

Edited by T21

I have posted before that I don't want Messina coaching our team. I don't understand why his name is even mentioned...

So I'll share my thoughts with you... I've been following Messina and his work for years and let me give you objective first-hand observation... I'll never say that he's a bad coach, 'cause he's not. However, throughout his career he's been pretty fortunate to coach big market teams at the right time. Also, he won't be able to adjust to the NBA game the right way (as other Euro coaches would also struggle with adjustment). Messina, along with a long list of other successful coaches in Europe, have been a student and follower of basketball philosophy preached by prof. Aleksandar Nikolic (the most influential figure in european basketball), whose nickname was Iron Sergeant because he always insisted on tough defense and discipline... That's where Euro and NBA games differ like day and night...

The Spurs, Celtics, and Bulls coaches say HI

Maybe Ferry can bring both guys in..Messina was an assistant with the Lakers last year.Maybe we can hire Budenholzer to be the headcoach ,and Messina to be his top assistant.Messina can take over for Budenholzer if he screws up.

It would be Budenholzer's choice to round out his staff. Unless there's some weird Budenholzer-to-Messina connection I don't know about, that won't be happening.

It would be Budenholzer's choice to round out his staff. Unless there's some weird Budenholzer-to-Messina connection I don't know about, that won't be happening.

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/ian_thomsen/03/18/playoff.matchups/1.html

There are very few clubs that have the budget and ambition to help Messina fulfill his vision for how a team should be built. If he can't find a promising offer to remain in Europe next year, he may be open to spending a season or two on an NBA bench, where he could learn a new perspective while also providing his team with different strategies. In the meantime, Messina plans to accept an invitation from San Antonio to spend eight days with the Spurs -- and his former star at Bologna, Manu Ginobili -- later this month.

"I'm really excited to see a couple of practices, some games, watch some films with the team, and of course to see Manu," Messina said. "I've never had the opportunity to see Manu during the season."

Of note, Danny Ferry was part of the Spurs front office back then, and he's also the guy that set up the meeting between Mike Brown and Ettorre Messina in Cleveland.

• Like 2

.....I wonder what kind of influence Budenholzer would have on available Free Agents.

That's a VERY good question PaceRam and something I was thinking about. I certainly don't think that all NBA players are lazy, arrogant, prima-donnas...but...well...there may be a few who wouldn't take well to the Popovich style system (which I would suppose he will bring with him).

I personally think that San Antonio is somewhat of a special situation as far as the NBA goes. They got David "the Admiral" Robinson - a Naval Academy grad/leader center with a strong work ethic - then they managed to get Tim Duncan, another strong character guy who seems to have learned well from the Admiral. Then they were able to pick and choose somewhat to get the type of players they wanted to fit into their system and have been enormously successful. Still, you have to wonder how that system would have worked without the Robinson/Duncan foundation.

Most highly prized free agents these days aren't likely interested in being told how to play the game. Oftentimes with success comes a "know-it-all" attitude (see Smoove). It's one thing to run the show that way in San Antonio where they have the trophy hardware to reinforce the point...it may be a different story here in the ATL.

Just a thought.

Edited by DJlaysitup

That's a VERY good question PaceRam and something I was thinking about. I certainly don't think that all NBA players are lazy, arrogant, prima-donnas...but...well...there may be a few who wouldn't take well to the Popovich style system (which I would suppose he will bring with him).

I personally think that San Antonio is somewhat of a special situation as far as the NBA goes. They got David "the Admiral" Robinson - a Naval Academy grad/leader center with a strong work ethic - then they managed to get Tim Duncan, another strong character guy who seems to have learned well from the Admiral. Then they were able to pick and choose somewhat to get the type of players they wanted to fit into their system and have been enormously successful. Still, you have to wonder how that system would have worked without the Robinson/Duncan foundation.

Most highly prized free agents these days aren't likely interested in being told how to play the game. Oftentimes with success comes a "know-it-all" attitude (see Smoove). It's one thing to run the show that way in San Antonio where they have the trophy hardware to reinforce the point...it may be a different story here in the ATL.

Just a thought.

basically. alot of superstars dont like being coached. They want the coach to be buddy buddy with them and give them freedom to do w.e the f*** they want to do and the organization usually doesnt give the coach any power to say otherwise. JVG said a big reason SVG was fired because he kept pushing dwight to be a better player and dwight didnt like it.

Stars like duncan and parker are a rare breed. They are 10+ year vets and you still see pop yell at them from time to time when they dont do something simple like be in the right spot for a play or miss a defensive assignment and they can handle it.

I hope with our new spurs culture the coach will have the power to coach everyone from the star to the scrub at the end of the bench

Edited by yungsta

Yes, yes...but is AL Horford our "star"...I Hope.

I wonder if fans in general have a tendency to throw the star label around a little too much?

Is Al Horford a star? Well, he's one of the top 20 players in the NBA. So, yes, I'd say he is a star.

Is he a mega superstar? No, but there are a limited number of mega supstars. In my view, there are only two teams in the league that have mega superstars. That is Miami with LeBron James and Oklahoma City with Kevin Durant.

The so called stardom of players like Carmelo Anthony is little more than a media creation.

I'm watching these playoffs, and I see teams like San Antonio, Memphis, and Indiana play well, with Indiana really pushing the Miami Heat and its mega superstar right now. I see these teams playing team basketball without "mega superstar" players. With San Antonio, Tim Duncan was once a mega superstar. He hasn't been at that level for several years now.