• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Budenholzer Plans To Implement 'Ball Movement' Centric Offense With Hawks

yungsta

Mike Budenholzer plans to emphasize ball movement as head coach of the Atlanta Hawks.

A longtime assistant to Gregg Popovich, Budenholzer believes the Spurs’ offensive system is catching on with other teams.

“I think the league and the NBA, whether it’s fundamentals or the style of playing, is moving toward the style that we’re playing,” Budenholzer said. “I look forward to bringing to Atlanta the ball movement and people movement and people sharing and participating and a little bit less of the one on one.

“It’s something you have to believe in and you have to sell. I think in the initial stages it may be a little difficult, but in the long run players, coaches, fans and everyone will enjoy it and see the benefits.”

Budenholzer intends to build around Al Horford and the financial flexibility Danny Ferry created before the 2012-13 season.

The Hawks could have as much as $40 million in cap space this summer.

“We want to build it and so as a coach that is exciting,” Budenholzer said. “That is why to me, that roster element in making the decision was strong.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227905/Budenholzer-Plans-To-Implement-Ball-Movement-Centric-Offense-With-Hawks

The ability to sell this to the players is what will ultimately separate him from Larry Drew. Larry Drew talked in similar fashion. He wanted an offense where the players moved well without the ball and they got great ball movement. In fact, when the Hawks did this, their offense was pretty good.

The problem was, Larry didn't sell his players enough on it to continue using it even when things were going flat for them on offense. When things went bad offensively, the Hawks players reverted to the isolation plays that they had run, whether it was with Joe Johnson or last year without Joe.

What that told me is that the players didn't believe in the offense, or at least certain players didn't.

• Like 4

The ability to sell this to the players is what will ultimately separate him from Larry Drew. Larry Drew talked in similar fashion. He wanted an offense where the players moved well without the ball and they got great ball movement. In fact, when the Hawks did this, their offense was pretty good.

The problem was, Larry didn't sell his players enough on it to continue using it even when things were going flat for them on offense. When things went bad offensively, the Hawks players reverted to the isolation plays that they had run, whether it was with Joe Johnson or last year without Joe.

What that told me is that the players didn't believe in the offense, or at least certain players didn't.

Hopefully we'll be able to find some that do believe in it this offseason.

Edited by Watchman

Ball movement offenses suck when you don't got the talent. Teague below average decision making skills. No #1 options. No post presence. A lot of times it looked like we were moving the ball around for no reason like iso-ball would be better. We need a face lift in terms of personnel. No coach can work magic with nothing at all.

• 1 year later...

Ball movement offenses suck when you don't got the talent. Teague below average decision making skills. No #1 options. No post presence. A lot of times it looked like we were moving the ball around for no reason like iso-ball would be better. We need a face lift in terms of personnel. No coach can work magic with nothing at all.