Lots and lots of questions await us

Gray Mule

Are we there yet? Nope. Not even close.

I believe that Atlanta has three players under contract for next season.

We have no guarantee that either or all of the three will be traded.

We have four draft picks, I believe. Two in each round. We know not

who or what the Hawks will do with these. Keep them all and draft four

for our next year's roster? Keep part and use part in trades?

We know that there are some of those free agents that were Hawks last

season that at least some of us who are Hawk fans want to return. We have

no guaranteeon any of these. Management may not want them back or they

may not want to come back.

We all, without exception, want to know what our team will look like when they

ring the bell to open the new season this fall. Will we be able to sign some

super stars, enough to bury the Heat and win everything? Will we send next

season down the river, sign enough rookies and border line players to meet

the minimum requirements of the NBA and await another off season?

As we ponder on all these things, other questions pop up and these we can

find the answer for. Example:

When does free agency begin?

When does the trade deadline open up?

When is the draft?

When does pre season games begin?

What is the date for the regular season opener?

Another question: Who are all the new assistant coaches?

Now, who do you want the Hawks to keep from last season?

Our two rookies from last season, our PG and Ivan come to mind.

What do you think??

• Moderators

I just have the feeling that something special awaits us this offseason. We may not hit the lotto, but I do feel that we'll get at least one of the following:

[*]DH12 [*]CP3 [*]Bynum [*]Iggy [*]Jefferson [*]Tyreke [*]Peks [*]West [*]Mayo [*]Ellis [*]Gino [*]Hickson

For the draft, I'm thinking KCP and Gainnis. TH Jr. is a possibility too.

Ivan, Scott, and maybe a cheap Zaza are the only guys I want back. Maybe Dev and definitely Teague if we miss out on CP3/DH12.

Another question: Who are all the new assistant coaches? Now, who do you want the Hawks to keep from last season? Our two rookies from last season, our PG and Ivan come to mind. What do you think??

It should be one of the most exciting offseasons in Hawks history (if not THE mot exciting!)!

I'm extremely excited about the draft.....i think that will tell us a lot.

[*]Do we trade Teague for a lottery pick and draft a rookie PG and hope to sign Paul? [*]Do we package our picks and move up? [*]How will free agency play out for us?

Exciting times for the Hawks...can't wait...

I'm extremely excited about the draft.....i think that will tell us a lot.

[*]Do we trade Teague for a lottery pick and draft a rookie PG and hope to sign Paul?

[*]Do we package our picks and move up?

[*]How will free agency play out for us?

Exciting times for the Hawks...can't wait...

You CAN'T trade Teague who is a UFA.

But I will say this.... with 4 picks, 2 better be two serviceable bigs even though the plan maybe to bring back ZaZa or Ivan. This is a very deep draft for the C position. Solidify that with the middle two picks, grab one in FA and you have a formidable frontcourt going forward.

And on another note. Back when I thought we were taking the "spurs east" route several years ago by drafting international players, and even I advocated for drafting international players like Gasol and Andersen (hahahaha looking back at that), I dread hearing names like Viktor Sanikidze, Cenk Akyol, and Pape Saw called on draft night.

But I will say this.... with 4 picks, 2 better be two serviceable bigs even though the plan maybe to bring back ZaZa or Ivan. This is a very deep draft for the C position. Solidify that with the middle two picks, grab one in FA and you have a formidable frontcourt going forward.

And on another note. Back when I thought we were taking the "spurs east" route several years ago by drafting international players, and even I advocated for drafting international players like Gasol and Andersen (hahahaha looking back at that), I dread hearing names like Viktor Sanikidze, Cenk Akyol, and Pape Saw called on draft night.

Just a point of clarification, Jeff is a RFA. We can offer him the qualifying offer, match, or try to sign him out right. However, you are correct that we can't trade him outright. We could do a SnT, though.

I agree that we'll pick up an international prospect. I also strongly believe we'll take an upper classman with our other pick. The Spurs tend to take guys that spent 3-4 years in college. Second, Ferry comes from Duke where coach K only recruits guys that he can get 3-4 years out of.

I say that and watch Ferry take two 19 year old kids from the US.

Chinky, you are wrong about Teague, he is a RFA and he can be traded if he signs a QO. But this team has alot of options.

For Grey Mule,

I have a lot of time to think about this question about what the Hawks has to do and needs to do. It’s very hard to come up with a roadmap of what the end game for the Front-Office. If we look at the Power Structure in the East, you got three tiers right now

Tier 1 (ECF/Final Contenders)

Miami (Duh, as long Lebron/Wade/Bosh is there, they will be top of the list)

Indiana (Paul George is on his way to Superstar and their length cause Heat a lot of problems)

Chicago (With Rose back, the Bulls is even more dangerous)

Brooklyn (They might have the money tied up but if Dwill/Joe/Lopez can get their act together they can go far)

Knicks (With Melo and Chandler and decent PG (Maybe Teague) they will be in the conversion)

Tier 2 (Seed 6 through 8 and lower lottery pick)

Boston: (Need to get younger and faster)

Detroit (Frontline is a dream, need veteran to go far)

Cleveland (Irving is the man and with #1 pick, their lottery days is almost over)

Washington (Wall is getting better every year and they will be ready for a run with the 3rd pick)

Bucks (with good ole Larry as their coach, if they keep their core, they will be hovering around 8th seed)

Tier 3 (Lottery land here we come)

Orlando (Very good pieces and nice future ahead)

Charlotte (Hopefully change back to Hornets will give them back their mojo)

76ers (Nice squad but needs help)

Raptors (New ownership, management but same ole problems)

For the most of us, we can put Hawks in Tier 2 land; we can get to the playoffs but never to the Promised Land. So this offseason is actually most important in history of this team. One offseason this team can be in one of three tiers by the beginning of next season (IMO, it will change each day by what FA we get or doesn’t get)

Right now, I am torn about CP3 and D12 coming here because they can bring the star power to the Hawks like how Vick was and Ryan/Jones is for the Falcons or Bossman Junior and Justin Upton (Gattis too) is for the Braves. But however, they probably want to stay with their teams to get the greatest money or go to a team that will give them a greater chance to get to the Finals (I understand the Rockets but you are in the same division as with the Grizz and Spurs, GL on that). The alternative resources is okay but it will keep this team as a treadmill team for the time being (back to the way they started) and if we do the tank thing, then you will be alienating the fan base to a point then you will start hearing whisper about relocation.

This is a modified version of Russian roulette with one empty chamber, one blank and rest is loaded. It’s a very exciting time right now for this team but the most stressful as well.

Neki, you don't think adding Paul and Howard would move this team into Tier 1?

For my part, you get Paul and Howard with Horford and a couple of good complementary players you end up matching up incredibly well against the Heat. The heat have an awful time with size and penetrating PGs. You get Howard and Paul and you've got an team that can beat the Heat. The Pacers demonstrated the Heat's weaknesses with a collection of players that aren't the equal of what the Hawks could put on the floor.

At any rate, I'm still hopeful for the CP3, DH12, and AH15 show in the ATL.

With Chris and Dwight – Tier 1: With Al Horford with them, their “Big 3” can actually stand toe to toe versus Heat and other Tier 1 teams

Just Chris or Dwight – Higher Tier 2: They will be in range to switch with Knicks or Nets but they will need a low post presence not name Bynum.

No Chris or Dwight – Middle Tier 2 to Upper Tier 3: Even if with Tier 2 FA here, they will still fall in the first or be in the lottery.

Atlanta has to be wary of all positions.

Al Horford is the most complete PF not named Tim Duncan and he's elite at movement and the PnR.

CP3 is elite at BBIQ, running an offense, and the PnR.

Dwight is elite at close scoring, drawing attention and his defense is HOF level.

That's a better fit than Miami and far more talented than Indy. Some of you guys really think low of CP3, Dwight, and Al.

Sign & Trade !!

Just a point of clarification, Jeff is a RFA. We can offer him the qualifying offer, match, or try to sign him out right. However, you are correct that we can't trade him outright. We could do a SnT, though.

I agree that we'll pick up an international prospect. I also strongly believe we'll take an upper classman with our other pick. The Spurs tend to take guys that spent 3-4 years in college. Second, Ferry comes from Duke where coach K only recruits guys that he can get 3-4 years out of.

I say that and watch Ferry take two 19 year old kids from the US.

I agree with the college experience part...The fact that the Hawks have only a handful of players signed points to us drafting players that can play now...and Bud already said he wants players to know their roles on the team. I wouldn't be surprise if Mason Plumlee, Tim Hardaway Jr., Deshawn Thomas, Dieng all of which are played atleast 3years of college ball would be the prime targets. If pope is on the board then we will definitely draft him - but i see him going in the 13th to 15th range..

Chinky, you are wrong about Teague, he is a RFA and he can be traded if he signs a QO. But this team has alot of options.

Maybe I am wrong on this... but how can Teague be signed and traded before the draft??? Transactions with FA be it RFA or UFA can't happen until after the July 1st date or did something change? Being that the draft is before the free agency period how would this work as a sign and trade?

To put us in tier 1, i'd say:

Draft J. Franklin - all around player, hustle guy, plays great D

Draft a Big - Need a backup Center/shotblocker (Deing/Withey) or maybe even Olynik as a stretch 4 off the bench (I know ya'll hate him)

2nd round picks - draft one college player (Kabongo? Mbakwe?) and one Euro stash player

Sign CP3

Sign Dwight

Sign a SF (probably a couple actually) - Korver? C. Brewer? Barnes?

Possibly SnT Teague for a SF?

CP3/ Kabongo (or Mack)

Jenkins/ Franklin

Korver/ FA

Horford/ Ivan/ Scott

Dwight/ Deing

of course there are a TON of variables on who we could or would sign to make up the team around CP3/Jenkins/AL/Dwight

To put us in tier 1, i'd say:

Draft J. Franklin - all around player, hustle guy, plays great D

Draft a Big - Need a backup Center/shotblocker (Deing/Withey) or maybe even Olynik as a stretch 4 off the bench (I know ya'll hate him)

2nd round picks - draft one college player (Kabongo? Mbakwe?) and one Euro stash player

Sign CP3

Sign Dwight

Sign a SF (probably a couple actually) - Korver? C. Brewer? Barnes?

Possibly SnT Teague for a SF?

CP3/ Kabongo (or Mack)

Jenkins/ Franklin

Korver/ FA

Horford/ Ivan/ Scott

Dwight/ Deing

of course there are a TON of variables on who we could or would sign to make up the team around CP3/Jenkins/AL/Dwight

SF- Webster, Korver, Budinger, etc.

You forgot about Lou.

Our prestigous marketing department is already f***ing things up.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/hawks-mention-of-howard-paul-in-letter-may-constit/nYBg6/

Who gives a flip. Get the word out there that the Hawks will be aggressively pursuing both of them, pay the fine, move on. I'd be willing to bet this was an intentional and calculated move.

• Like 1