• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Al Jefferson thread

Chinky_eyed_hawk

Sign me up for this. Jefferson is a good low post scorer and a good rebounder. So his defense isn't the best in the world. He would up scoring chances by drawing double teams for everyone else. If a team leave him alone in the post then he would have a field day down there. The positives far outway the negatives when it come to Jefferson or any alternative someone may propose.

Howard WAS 6'10" at 18 years old and that's without shoes I believe. I'm quite sure a man who was that big at 18 hasn't stopped growing.

He is listed at 6'11" 265. Jefferson is listed at 6'10 but he weighs 289. Not saying Jefferson compares to D12 skill wise, but he aint no little guy playing out of position.

I suspect the concern is less Jefferson's height and weight per se and more that he isn't a rim protector.

My logic: Is it easier to find a backup center that you can have to protect the rim through the draft or FA(many are in this years draft, some who aren't considered an offensive option at all but their defensive skill set is their bead and butter) or find a quality big man that can score at will?

I've seen several people declare their vote of confidence to players like Dalembert. Why can't we acquire Daly and Jefferson? Some even keep mentioning Bynum who's career is in question as to wither he will be able to play effectively again(no thanks) but your only knock against Jefferson is his defense? Where would a team like Memphis be if they didn't take a chance on Z-bo because of his defense, rather than saying hey, he's a beast in the post, let's just pair someone with defensive skillset next to him?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Food for thought: three franchises that were rebuilding at the time already HAD Jefferson. And how much did they value him? Traded once, traded twice and finally allowed to walk for nothing as a free agent.

Food for thought: three franchises that were rebuilding at the time already HAD Jefferson. And how much did they value him? Traded once, traded twice and finally allowed to walk for nothing as a free agent.

To be honest that sound a lot like Z-Bo. He finally found a home with the Grizz.
  • Like 2

Don't be so blind to Al's worth. He was traded for KG, then traded again for two 1st round picks and Koufas who was a 23rd pick. Do you think we were EVER offered anything close to that for Josh Smith?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Don't be so blind to Al's worth. He was traded for KG, then traded again for two 1st round picks and Koufas who was a 23rd pick. Do you think we were EVER offered anything close to that for Josh Smith?

The facts speak for themselves. The Celtics, TWolves and Jazz all had the guy and every one of them has given up on him. He's a one way player and I want no part of him.

• Like 1

The facts speak for themselves. The Celtics, TWolves and Jazz all had the guy and every one of them has given up on him. He's a one way player and I want no part of him.

He was easily the best player on those Jazz and T-wolves teams. He was still a baby on those Celtics teams and its obvious he and Perkins did not fit together.Take away Jefferson and add Smith to that Jazz team and they would fall apart. They ran their entire offense through Jefferson.I would not break the bank for Jefferson but he would be an option at the right price. Edited by coachx
  • Like 2

I suspect the concern is less Jefferson's height and weight per se and more that he isn't a rim protector.

Agree.....that is why you draft either Dieng, Adams, Gobert, or the Brazilian with one of your 2 first round picks.
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I expect post players who score "at will" to have higher TS%s than .522. That is not remotely impressive. The problem for him is that he is very foul averse. His % on his shots isn't bad but they are like JJ's tear drop shots. Without the fouls, you aren't getting the bang for your buck that you would expect from a top scoring option.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Agree.....that is why you draft either Dieng, Adams, Gobert, or the Brazilian with one of your 2 first round picks.

I'm not adverse to drafting those guys regardless of what we do in FA. I am, however, of the opinion that Al Jefferson isn't much of a difference maker and he isn't coming cheap so while I would be more excited about bringing him in than resigning Josh Smith, I don't know that we will see a big difference in record if the rest of the team is in the same range of talent.

Jazz have no one around him.The Twolves and Celtics had bigs with the same weakness.......in Perkins and Love.It's not as simple as you make.On the right team Jefferson is a good piece. Edited by coachx

I'm not adverse to drafting those guys regardless of what we do in FA. I am, however, of the opinion that Al Jefferson isn't much of a difference maker and he isn't coming cheap so while I would be more excited about bringing him in than resigning Josh Smith, I don't know that we will see a big difference in record if the rest of the team is in the same range of talent.

Not regular season record but he makes us better and tougher in the playoffs where we got pushed around physically by the Pacers. With Jefferson we could actually attack the Heats weakness rather then play them at their strength.
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I still contend that an Al Jefferson / Tyreke Evans type team is on a road to first and second round exits just like our last 5 years but I would be hoping I was wrong if that is where we end up.

• Moderators

Evans? when did he get in the mix

You must have missed the 6 or 7 threads when people talked about a FA package of B level free agents like Al Jefferson and Tyreke Evans for the last couple weeks but Jefferson has been discussed a lot and frequently linked with Evans or similar type wing FAs (Iggy, Jennings, Monta, etc.).