Ferry will be judged by this offseason.

Diesel

Danny Ferry: We are focused on what we can control and that is building a strong organization, a high-caliber group of coaches and players.

That means no Aisk who put us in the middle. No Jefferson. Just build a team from scratch if you can't sign D12.

• Moderators

I like this. If Houston lands Dwight, then presumably their GM is better than Sund and BK. Ferry on the other hand is no better despite the fact that Morey and the Rockets have been swinging and missing on big FAs for about 4 years before they possibly land Dwight this year. If you take Houston's path you are therefore a good GM but you can't take Houston's path in one offseason.

One year is too small a window to judge. Just from what I have seen in terms of managing the cap and the draft, Ferry is showing a lot more than BK and Sund, IMO, but he has plenty of work left today and should have more than one offseason to do it before he is judged.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 2

I never understood a fanbase love with being in the abyss so much. It's like we love the abyss. It's the worst place in Basketball. I was listening to 92.9, they were just taking shots at Atlanta and then talking about they will probably sign a B tier FA or do a SnT for someone like an Aisk. Talking about that's just what Atlanta does. They aren't trying to win titles. I agree about that with the fanbase.

I judge him based upon the success he has had in other franchises. He has done well there. So there is no reason to think he won't be great here. I think it is an impatient attitude which expects a turn around that quickly. Unless we land a Superstar FA it ain't happening like that.

• Like 1

I judge him based upon the success he has had in other franchises. He has done well there. So there is no reason to think he won't be great here. I think it is an impatient attitude which expects a turn around that quickly. Unless we land a Superstar FA it ain't happening like that.

I think he has already proven to be the best GM in Hawks history. An elite draft. Blew up a clear treadmill team. Has money to sign a superstar in D12 and even if we fail, I still see this off-season as a success unless we do something to plug us into the aybss again. Then I will look at him as a failure.

It's been 2.

He has already cleared the decks. IF we get nothing, shouldn't he be judged?

and what grade would you give on his 1st off season where he:

- drafted Jenkins and Scott with end of the round picks

- Traded Marvin Williams for Devin Harris

- Traded Joe Johnson (worst contract in the NBA) for the 18th pick in the 1st round, the right to swap 1st round picks down the road, and expiring contracts

- signed Kyle Korver on a 1 year deal

That looks like a good off season. B/c of that off season we are at least in the discussion for Dwigh Howard and have a meeting scheduled with him today. None of that is possiblle without moving JJ and Marvin.

Its hard to argue the longterm out look for the franchise is not better today then it was before Ferry got here. Even if Howard chooses to sign else where its hard to argue the Franchise is worse off now then it was in mid June 2012 before Ferry got the GM job.

• Like 2

No way. Every move Ferry has made puts us in a better position moving forward. Building a winning program takes time. You can't knock Ferry if we don't land CP3 or D12, as they're essentially rejecting a team/franchise he hasn't yet had the opportunity to construct.

In God I trust, but Danny Ferry is top 5.

That means no Aisk who put us in the middle. No Jefferson. Just build a team from scratch if you can't sign D12.

We have only two guys with more than one year of NBA experience on our roster. Is that not starting from scratch? Asik (NOT AISK!!!) won't make us the favorites in the East, but he's an active rebounder and that's something any contending team needs.

I like this. If Houston lands Dwight, then presumably their GM is better than Sund and BK. Ferry on the other hand is no better despite the fact that Morey and the Rockets have been swinging and missing on big FAs for about 4 years before they possibly land Dwight this year. If you take Houston's path you are therefore a good GM but you can't take Houston's path in one offseason.

One year is too small a window to judge. Just from what I have seen in terms of managing the cap and the draft, Ferry is showing a lot more than BK and Sund, IMO, but he has plenty of work left today and should have more than one offseason to do it before he is judged.

While I think Morey has had a handful of misses during the draft and FA, I can't lie and say they didn't do a good job on the OKC trade. That trade was very good. Also the Lowry trade was one of the trades of the year. They did well. I like what Ferry has done and he can still do more.

We have only two guys with more than one year of NBA experience on our roster. Is that not starting from scratch? Asik (NOT AISK!!!) won't make us the favorites in the East, but he's an active rebounder and that's something any contending team needs.

Aisk would do what Teague would do for us. He sucks too much to make us anymore than a 8th-11th seed w/Al but he's too good to tank with. Those are B- tier players. What is the purpose of that again? We can resign Josh who is a B+ player and at least be a 6th seed along with Al. Like I said, assets are great if they add purpose to your main goal. If you main goal is to built a contender, going the Milwaukee Bucks way is not smart at all.

Late lotto picks and 1st round exits are not the way to go AT ALL.

Edited by Leadership

• Moderators

While I think Morey has had a handful of misses during the draft and FA, I can't lie and say they didn't do a good job on the OKC trade. That trade was very good. Also the Lowry trade was one of the trades of the year. They did well. I like what Ferry has done and he can still do more.

No question he did other things well. But the Rockets hired Morey in 2006 and he became GM in 2007. We are talking roughly 7 years of control at this point (drafts and FA in 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, and 13) so the point is less about whether Morey has been a genius or a buffoon and more about the time component of building a team from mediocrity to contender.

Edited by AHF

No question he did other things well. But the Rockets hired Morey in 2006. We are talking 7 years of control at this point so the point is less about whether Morey has been a genius or a buffoon and more about the time component of building a team from mediocrity to contender.

You can't lie. Name one Ferry trade where he lost the trade in Atlanta?

Every trade he has either won or overly won the deal.

Edited by Leadership

• Moderators

I think he has already proven to be the best GM in Hawks history. An elite draft. Blew up a clear treadmill team. Has money to sign a superstar in D12 and even if we fail, I still see this off-season as a success unless we do something to plug us into the aybss again. Then I will look at him as a failure.

I do think some people are overrating Ferry on here as well but he is off to a good start early in the process. I think the job he did in Cleveland was flawed and don't have the total faith that some here do but I will judge him more on what he does here and that is all to the good so far. What he does next is critically important but isn't the defining point for his Atlanta legacy. If he signs B level free agents and we end up on the treadmill for 5 years of near playoff misses and early playoff outs, then I won't rate him highly. If he can put us in the ECF, then he becomes the best GM in Atlanta Hawks history.

• Moderators

You can't lie. Name one Ferry trade where he lost the trade in Atlanta?

Every trade he has either won or overly won the deal.

He has done a good job hitting singles on most of the trades (draft day, Kyle Korver, etc.) and a triple on the JJ trade. All to the good but leaving himself a lot of work left to do.

His single biggest move so far allows him to get work done (removes the handcuffs) but doesn't substitute for the actual work.

• Like 1

He has done a good job hitting singles on most of the trades (draft day, Kyle Korver, etc.) and a triple on the JJ trade. All to the good but leaving himself a lot of work left to do.

His single biggest move so far allows him to get work done (removes the handcuffs) but doesn't substitute for the actual work.

While I see your point, I do think what he did is actually work.

Aisk would do what Teague would do for us. He sucks too much to make us anymore than a 8th-10th seed w/Al but he's too good to tank with. Those are B- tier players. What is the purpose of that again? We can resign Josh who is a B+ player and at least be a 6th seed along with Al. Like I said, assets are great if they add purpose to your main goal. If you main goal is to built a contender, going the Milwaukee Bucks way is not smart at all.

1. It's Asik, not Aisk.2. We're not going to tank. I'm not suggesting we go out of our way to get Asik, but it's a move I can understand if we do.3. It's Asik, not Aisk (!!!).4. Acquiring Asik would qualify as going the Bucks way? What?One guy says Ferry should be judged solely on this offseason and another guy says we should fill the roster out with the worst players in the league. Somebody is going to be unhappy. Edited by supermariowest
  • Like 1