• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Midrange Shawty....

Diesel

• Premium Member

IF... we had to go this route and have a big three of Smoove, Horf, and Howard...

1. Could you accept Smoove as a 3?

2. Do you think Bud can make Smoove into a slasher?

3. Would Horf and Smoove being in the midrange and Howard being in the lowpost cause problems or be a godsend.

4. What PG and SG would fit? Teague + Harris?

5. What SG could we afford? Who would come for the MLE?

• Like 1

Under that scenerio I think Josh Smith would best be utilized as 6th man in the mold of Lamar Odom. A versitlie swiss army knife who can give you different things, on different nights, based on what you need.

• Like 1

I think if this is the direction the Hawks want to go, you absolutely play Josh at the 3. All you have to do is look at the way he dominated Paul George in the playoffs when he matched up with him on the perimeter. He would be by far the Hawks best option as far as a defender on the perimeter, and there is only one or two players in the league that plays small forward that might be able to keep him from getting to the basket (James and Leonard).

• Premium Member

I think if this is the direction the Hawks want to go, you absolutely play Josh at the 3. All you have to do is look at the way he dominated Paul George in the playoffs when he matched up with him on the perimeter. He would be by far the Hawks best option as far as a defender on the perimeter, and there is only one or two players in the league that plays small forward that might be able to keep him from getting to the basket (James and Leonard).

Bud would have to make a strong effort to make Smoove drive. Defenders will still do what they have done for years. Back off of him and give him the open shot. IF Bud can get him into the mindset and habit that that open space that they give you is a running start, I think Smoove would definitely be dangerous... However, if Lazy Smoove shows up and takes the low percentage shot.. then we're in trouble.

Under that scenerio I think Josh Smith would best be utilized as 6th man in the mold of Lamar Odom. A versitlie swiss army knife who can give you different things, on different nights, based on what you need.

What are the chances that Smoove accepts that move? Between slim and none!

• Admin

We will get exploited with that lineup....Josh is not a SF. His tendency to hang around the perimeter will only hurt us more. He is not quick enough to guard SFs although he should be able to post them up (which he won't do).

We will get exploited with that lineup....Josh is not a SF. His tendency to hang around the perimeter will only hurt us more. He is not quick enough to guard SFs although he should be able to post them up (which he won't do).

He has to play SF's just like they play him. Stay back, give them what appears to be a open look, and make them drive around his wide body. With his hops, what looks like a open jumper is not always a open jumper.

With all that being said, I still think he would be a better 6th man who we can play at the 3 or 4; instead of locking him in at the 3 full time.

I'm sorry, but this idea that Josh isn't quick enough to guard other small forwards is a myth that was proven wrong in the playoffs. He held Paul George, one of the more athletic 3s in the game, to 10 of 27 shooting from the floor when matched up with one another in the playoffs, and on the year he played approximately 9% of the minutes at the small forward position for the Hawks and held the opposition's small forward to a eFG% of 45% and a PER of 8.9. There was even an article that came out sometime in January by Bradford Doolittle where Smith was rated as the #1 overall perimeter defender in the NBA. Yes, I know defensive stats are flawed and spatial data is a better way to judge effective defense, but I would be willing to bet that the spatial data backs up the idea that Smith is an elite perimeter defender in the NBA.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Josh defending small forwards no longer concerns me as much. What concerns me more is what he does on offense. You can't really post two people up at the same time so either Josh or Dwight has to be out of the post and both are abject failures as floor spacers outside of the post.

• Like 2

Would love for Josh to embrace that role and accept getting paid for that role. But that won't happen.

if we went that route i think josh could be a slasher honestly when he is driving to the paint he is pretty dangerous on O. but with that line up i wouldn't mind a VC type vet still a scoring option can step back and hit the 3 and can stay in front of his player not the best on D but def not teh worse.

5.D12

4.AL

3.Josh

2. VC

1.Teague

but with that being said if we get a shooter like Korver if he stays with us have him start at the 3 and let Josh and Lou come off the bench i think we would have a dangerous combo IMO but I dunno if we would be able to swing that with the cap. I still think we could try and tlk with AK47 on the wing as well I still think he could be effective

I was confident when the season ended that Josh didn't factor into any future plans under any circumstances. I want Dumars to offer something crazy so we can move on already. Based on the Villuneueva/ Gordon scale, Josh will get about 100. We can't have this positive change in culture with the home crowd groaning every time he sets his feet to shoot and booing more audibly as the game goes on at his 20-something % chance of hitting jumper. Pechulant children can't help you win 'ships. They prevent it.

Edited by benhillboy

I'm sorry, but this idea that Josh isn't quick enough to guard other small forwards is a myth that was proven wrong in the playoffs. He held Paul George, one of the more athletic 3s in the game, to 10 of 27 shooting from the floor when matched up with one another in the playoffs, and on the year he played approximately 9% of the minutes at the small forward position for the Hawks and held the opposition's small forward to a eFG% of 45% and a PER of 8.9. There was even an article that came out sometime in January by Bradford Doolittle where Smith was rated as the #1 overall perimeter defender in the NBA. Yes, I know defensive stats are flawed and spatial data is a better way to judge effective defense, but I would be willing to bet that the spatial data backs up the idea that Smith is an elite perimeter defender in the NBA.

KB where are you getting those stats from the playoffs with them matched up 1 on 1?

I was confident when the season ended that Josh didn't factor into any future plans under any circumstances. I want Dumars to offer something crazy so we can move on already. Based on the Villuneueva/ Gordon scale, Josh will get about 100. We can't have this positive change in culture with the home crowd groaning every time he sets his feet to shoot and booing more audibly as the game goes on at his 20-something % chance of hitting jumper. Pechulant children can't help you win 'ships. They prevent it.

while i agree with that I see that josh has much more poetntial to be way better. of course he takes crappy shots b/c he has not had to deal with a coach to bust his chops or bench him for bad plays and shots. but I dont want to give up on the idea of him playing with the hakws you have a guy who wants to win and wants a ring.if you put him on a team where he is not the number one option and has the pieces around him that make a complete team and the right coaching IMO you have a champion type player. he can be a Scottie Pippen type player if he can handle the ball better and make better shot selection ie, play in his range