• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Myths...and the ultimate truth.

Wretch

• Premium Member

Aren't most GM's extension of ownership??You cannot blame Danny Ferry without first blaming ownership...We will continue to pay for what Billy Knight did to this franchise for many years to come...

Problem with Ferry being an extension of ownership...is he is an extension of OUR ownership. The same people who we were willing to take a buzzsaw to not to long ago.

• Moderators

Roughly 80% of champions drafted their NBA Finals MVP over the past 25 years. I don't buy the idea that we are living in the age of FA rather than the draft.On the Falcons, they built their current run the right way - by sucking and drafting a stud QB #1 overall and then when he was gone sucking and drafting a stud QB #3 overall. That said, the talent pool is much deeper in the NFL so you can get studs who championship MVP's outside of the top of the draft (Brady, Warner, etc.). The NBA is a different game but the Falcobs took a very NBA-tanking kind of approach to landing their core stud and building out.

• Premium Member

You can say going after CP3 and Howard is a good thing, but WHO DOESN'T do that

Treadmill teams don't.

Let's define what the real treadmill team is. The real treadmill team doesn't take real chances on free agency. IF they blow up their team, it's so that they can tank and get a draft pick that can be the one. Real treadmill teams like the Bobcats who are in the lottery every year and never make it out and never go after good FAs.

Emeka Okafor

Raymond Felton

Sean May (from Phoenix)[c]

Adam Morrison

Brandan Wright (traded to Golden State)[e]

D. J. Augustin

Gerald Henderson

Kemba Walker

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

That's what I call a treadmill.

Edited by Diesel
  • Like 1

• Moderators

The Bobcats did take chances on expensive free agents and trades like Gordon and the shotblocking athletic tweener whose name escapes me at the moment. They have been marked by incompetency in drafting, free agents, trades and management. Incompetence will always translate into failure.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You are talking about one team, split over two cities (New Orleans and Charlotte) and you are ignoring what other teams have come out of rebuilding with. You are also looking at one side of the argument. I could do the same thing and list countless bad contracts like Koncack, JJ, Snake, Arenas...and terrible trades. There are no certainties no matter which way you go...

Except that if you keep a middle of the pack team you will not hit the sweet spot of the draft and you will not advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Golden State was a terrible "lottery treadmill" team too once upon a time. So was OKC. So were the Celtics. So were a lot of teams. It's just the cycle of the NBA, you can't really stay good unless you have a really good engine. Then you ride it until it gives out. What's going to happen is one of these teams, like the aforementioned, is going to find what you fear and make the right decisions.

Then you'll call it luck when they're still playing in the playoffs and we're still scratching our heads and wondering what's wrong here. And Danny Ferry will be trying to lure those players here with the same kind of sad face "take me to the prom please" attitude.

Actually thx you proved my point all alongFrom wikiBut nagging injuries would continue to hamper Pierce, who sat out all of April, as the Celtics finished with a horrible 24-58 record that earned them the worst record in the Eastern Conference and 2nd worst record in the league, only marginally in front of the Memphis Grizzlies. Afterwards, the Celtics turned their focus to the draft lottery, where they had good chances of landing a Top 2 pick, allowing them to select either Greg Oden or Kevin Durant. However, even the draft lottery came out all wrong for the Celtics as they were assigned the 5th overall selection, which seemed to guarantee another disappointing season.Lol

• Premium Member

Actually thx you proved my point all alongFrom wikiBut nagging injuries would continue to hamper Pierce, who sat out all of April, as the Celtics finished with a horrible 24-58 record that earned them the worst record in the Eastern Conference and 2nd worst record in the league, only marginally in front of the Memphis Grizzlies. Afterwards, the Celtics turned their focus to the draft lottery, where they had good chances of landing a Top 2 pick, allowing them to select either Greg Oden or Kevin Durant. However, even the draft lottery came out all wrong for the Celtics as they were assigned the 5th overall selection, which seemed to guarantee another disappointing season.Lol

You mean the lottery pick (which we will not have) that was traded here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2920183

?

Until they traded that 5th pick for Ray Allen.....And the presence of Allen along with Pierce convinced KG to not opt out of his deal if he was traded to Boston...And thus the Celtics won their first title in 20 years...That sure did backfire on the Celtics.
  • Like 1

Listen I showed you an example of a team(hell two if you count Memphis) that was worst in the conference and didn't even get a legit guy in one of the best drafts of the past ten years.Do you want the 2013 versions of Jeff Green and Randy Foye?

You need to read what I've been saying and explain to me how you get a 26PPG, HOF shooting guard without giving up a lottery pick that you sucked for.

You're the one talking about drafting wiggins there's no Ray Allen to trade for this year

• Premium Member

Listen I showed you an example of a team(hell two if you count Memphis) that was worst in the conference and didn't even get a legit guy in one of the best drafts of the past ten years.Do you want the 2013 versions of Jeff Green and Randy Foye?

You're the one talking about drafting wiggins there's no Ray Allen to trade for this year

Dude you are all over the place and not making a case for anything. I'll help you out though. I'm not talking about building exclusively through the draft. You are lumping me in with your idea of what "tanking" is and the people who are all about it. I'm not in favor of trying to be the worst team possible to get the best pick possible to build a team full of Michael Jordans, Barkleys, and Ewings through the draft.

I AM saying that we need to be fishing in the draft instead of trying to win these pointless playoff series, which we have done every year. The teams that ultimately contend for the title either draft a star player or they trade a player they took in the lottery for it or they trade the actual lottery PICK for.

Being on the "treadmill" so to speak guarantees that you will not have these kinds of assets to make these kinds of deals. Your only hope for acquiring the kind of talent that takes you deep in to the playoffs is to pawn off these B and C-list players for a young and unproven player (like Joe Johnson, who again...is a risk) or for a lottery pick that some ridiculous team stupidly throws away. Or...hope for Chris Paul or Dwight Howard to rescue you in free agency.

Most teams pull something out of the lottery to use or trade.

• Premium Member

Until they traded that 5th pick for Ray Allen.....And the presence of Allen along with Pierce convinced KG to not opt out of his deal if he was traded to Boston...And thus the Celtics won their first title in 20 years...That sure did backfire on the Celtics.

And KG was traded to Boston for a young stud (Jefferson) who was selected JUST outside of the lottery because the Celtics barely made it into the playoffs. Technically, no he was not a lottery pick...but they don't get that pick unless they essentially suck.

Or if they were intentionally shooting for around the 8th seed of the playoffs...which they were not.

Edited by Wretch