• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Pessimistic Fan Thread

ATLnightwing

I think this offseason showed Danny Ferry what is so wrong with Atlanta right now. I cant fault him one bit about this. Until we can develop a winning tradition and better environment around here, we are going to be lowest priority to FAs

• Like 1

Lol. The usual suspects thread. You guys are crazy. Why don't you wait to see how Bynum turns out this season. And it y'all's own fault for believing the D12 CP3 dream. Add that Pek was restricted and the Rockets didn't want Josh. Now tell me what we could have done better. We aren't tied down with ANY contracts.

But I bet you Ferry still believes that he will build a team through FA. He didn't even get any picks for Josh.

• Like 1

The only thing that I am feeling negative about is that it seems we will not land any of the legit centers. Still, I am not surprised and actually glad we didn't get Dwight because I feel his game is never going to be what it used to be and he's a child with no guts. I am glad we didn't get Jefferson because I feel he is too one dimensional. I was disappointed that we were unable to get Houston to sign and trade Asik to us for Smoove. Seems he is still a remote possibility though. Pekovic is also still technically available to make an offer to but that's unlikely as well. I really don't care for Dalembert either. I wish we had been able to get Zaza back on the cheap. So all in all, if I have to be negative, which overall I am not, I think we missed out on or miscalculated the availability of Asik.

• Like 1

Lol. The usual suspects thread. You guys are crazy. Why don't you wait to see how Bynum turns out this season. And it y'all's own fault for believing the D12 CP3 dream. Add that Pek was restricted and the Rockets didn't want Josh. Now tell me what we could have done better. We aren't tied down with ANY contracts.

Posted Image

The only thing that I am feeling negative about is that it seems we will not land any of the legit centers. Still, I am not surprised and actually glad we didn't get Dwight because I feel his game is never going to be what it used to be and he's a child with no guts. I am glad we didn't get Jefferson because I feel he is too one dimensional. I was disappointed that we were unable to get Houston to sign and trade Asik to us for Smoove. Seems he is still a remote possibility though. Pekovic is also still technically available to make an offer to but that's unlikely as well. I really don't care for Dalembert either. I wish we had been able to get Zaza back on the cheap. So all in all, if I have to be negative, which overall I am not, I think we missed out on or miscalculated the availability of Asik.

Agree with this 95%. I still like Dalembert.

Edited by ATLnightwing

• Moderators

If you were told going in to this off season that after missing out on Howard and Paul we did not over pay for mediocre talent. Instead we signed guys to bargain short term contracts and preserved our cap. You wouldn't be happy with that?

Not if we passed on the best lottery in years to make it really not totally easy for someone else to advance to the second round of the NBA playoffs.

• Moderators

I couldn't violate the optimist's thread so I had to transplant this post here:

We'll be ok.

This team's motto. Your Atlanta Hawks: they aren't great but they are ok! Season tickets are available now!

I couldn't violate the optimist's thread so I had to transplant this post here: This team's motto. Your Atlanta Hawks: they aren't great but they are ok! Season tickets are available now!

In year where it's a competition to be one of the 5 worst teams.......even if you finsh with one of then 5 worst records you have a 55% chance of moving down in the lottery.With odds like that I can't be in favor of tanking.

• Moderators

In year where it's a competition to be one of the 5 worst teams.......even if you finsh with one of then 5 worst records you have a 55% chance of moving down in the lottery.With odds like that I can't be in favor of tanking.

Getting the 4th pick in the 2014 lottery >> the 1st pick in the 2013 lottery.

I couldn't violate the optimist's thread so I had to transplant this post here: This team's motto. Your Atlanta Hawks: they aren't great but they are ok! Season tickets are available now!

Sorry but you have to play devils advocate to this.AlternativeWe are having a fire sale and attempting to be the worst team in NBA history with mathematical chances of moving down in the lottery.Season tickets available now !

• Moderators

Maybe! This isn't a fantasy draft

An individual pick may be better or worse but the caliber of the top of the draft is much stronger.

Think of it this way. Darko went #2 in the draft. But how valuable was a top 5 pick that year? Lebron, Darko, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade

• Moderators

Sorry but you have to play devils advocate to this.AlternativeWe are having a fire sale and attempting to be the worst team in NBA history with mathematical chances of moving down in the lottery.Season tickets available now !

I don't dispute that. You start moving tickets when you plan to contend. We couldn't move tickets in recent years anyway so I am not seeing a massive drop in Q rating when the optimistic take on this year's roster is "we'll be ok."

An individual pick may be better or worse but the caliber of the top of the draft is much stronger. Think of it this way. Darko went #2 in the draft. But how valuable was a top 5 pick that year? Lebron, Darko, Carmelo, Bosh, Wade

Think of it as koolaide if youn want to but the lottery is anything but koolaide.You can also think of it as Lauderdale, Bowie, Marvin, Thabeet, or Darko, Sheldon, Childress, Oden, Montross, Morrison, E. Curry, D. Wagner,etc.There are 2 sides to every coin.I'm fine recognizing the positive but not without weighing the negative equally.

• Moderators

And what are the chances of that with the 5th worst record ?I posted a thread on it if you forgot.

Yeah but my point is these guys ain't that draft class

The 2014 draft is the closest to that draft in terms of top flight players if you believe the scouts. I don't know that I would bet on an All-Star appearance from any individual player in the 2013 lottery even though odds are strongly in favor of multiple 2013 picks eventually making it. (Heck, Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star from the terrible Kenyon Martin draft class). When the 2014 draft rolls around, there are going to be multiple guys who you can peg as highly likely future All-Stars before the draft begins.

There are no guarantees, but I would swing for the fences with this draft class ala Boston and Philly's approach rather than shoot for a 6th seed.