• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry is slowly destroying the Atlanta fan base..

willthepureshooter

Without Ferry, our line-up going into next season would have been:

Jeff Teague (re-signed for 10 mil a season)

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

???????? (Josh would have left either way knowing our team is stuck)

Al Horford (planning to leave when he is a FA)

And over the cap so we can only sign a vet min PF while we drafted a SF or something that wouldn't see the floor.

With Ferry we have the cap in control, and a vision to keep getting productive players on great contracts to have a chance at trades/FAs/etc to better the team when the chances occurs.

Edited by RWF

Without Ferry, our line-up going into next season would have been:

Jeff Teague (re-signed for 10 mil a season)

Joe Johnson

Marvin Williams

???????? (Josh would have left either way knowing our team is stuck)

Al Horford (planning to leave when he is a FA)

And over the cap so we can only sign a vet min PF while we drafted a SF or something that wouldn't see the floor.

With Ferry we have the cap in control, and a vision to keep getting productive players on great contracts to have a chance at trades/FAs/etc to better the team when the chances occurs.

Nah, Sund would have given Josh his max contract and we'd be a major luxury tax paying team with little chance of getting out of the 2nd round.

• Like 2

If you look at what HAS been done (not what was flirted with or rumored), every move fits the vision laid out at the time of his hire. The only player that I can see, other than D12, that we immediately had interest in (calling at 12:01) was Millsap. And we actually landed him. Carroll and Korver and also excellent signings. Zaza is busted and not worth $6M. And I'm glad we're not paying C. Chuckerson $54M to watch him age. Nice draft too. Just because you wanted to move up doesn't mean there was a viable move available. Common sense dictates you don't move up in a bad draft.

You say he's courting Jennings, Ellis and Bynum. I don't see where he has offered a contract to any one of them. I also don't see where said contract is for high dollars or a large number of years. Let's judge the man on his actions, can we? Yes, he has stated some interest, but I think he is hunting for a bargain value. We may be the last man standing with significant cap room in 2013.

Even if we do end of signing a Jennings or an Ellis, but we do so for a limited number of years and/or a bargain price - that fits the vision. Value - tradeable - flexible. Not every player we sign will be an analytics superstar. At some point you do need a player who can put the ball in the basket at the end of a game (such as Ellis, JCrawford, etc).

Perfectly put. Diesel - bookmark this before your next diatribe.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Agreed, Chalmers is a very underrated player. I was going to say that SMW I think you're a fantastic new poster but I see that you've been a member for a few years but just recently started posting. Darn shame as you have a very level head about you and seem to be very knowledgable as well.

Thanks man. My brother (who is also a member) told me about the Hawksquawk years ago and I mostly lurked after joining. I'm not sure what stirred me from my lurking slumber but one possible explanation is that JTB's enthusiasm is leaking across the internet.

• Premium Member

Valuable asset. Enough said.

Luke Ridnour was a valuable asset to Minnesota a few years back.

They traded him for a 2nd rounder so that they could get the capspace to Corey Brewer back...

Luke Ridnour was a valuable asset to Minnesota a few years back.

They traded him for a 2nd rounder so that they could get the capspace to Corey Brewer back...

Damn, cap room to sign Brewer and a 2nd for Luke? Good deal Wolves.

• Premium Member

Cause KK is a legit good guy that can teach young guys how to act on the road and at home. He's there for his intangibles too

Plus he came back because his family apparently loves the ATL

Posted Image

• Premium Member

This is such crazy talk. DF is a failure because he couldnt convince Dwight Howard, the most emotionally and mentally confused star player that exists, to come to Atlanta, a city he has never shown interest in? This is not a guy who is sentimental about his hometown, he has shown that time and time again.

And what is this garbage about his best friend? Dwight has given lists of teams and players he wants to play for/with and never during any of that time did he ever mention Josh Smith or Atlanta. Hell, DF got him to consider coming to Atlanta despite all of that stuff.

Very simple Ag...

What would Ferry have to do to be seen as a failure in your eyes?

What would Ferry have to do to be seen as successful in your eyes?

Put yourself out there and let's see if you have more than just blind loyalty to whoever sits in the chair.

• Premium Member

Damn, cap room to sign Brewer and a 2nd for Luke? Good deal Wolves.

Sadly they drafted Brewer and traded him because the GM was trying to change the culture? They don't even have the guy they traded him for anymore...

BTW... that's equivalent to us trading Korver in a couple of years for a 2nd round pick so that we can sign Marvin Williams to a contract.

Edited by Diesel

Perfectly put. Diesel - bookmark this before your next diatribe.

And I'll add: the roster has not been completed, not a single minute has been played, and our new coach has not assumed his spot on the sidelines (which, BTW, is a huge X factor that's being ignored). Yet, you're already claiming epic failure.

Truth is: you have no clue what's coming this season, on the court or off.

DF will be a success if we tank for Wiggins and signs Lebron when he opts out of his contact next year.DF will be a failure when he signs Oden to a guaranteed 5yr/12mil per year contract.Until games are played DF's success or failure cannot be determined. You can piss on a signing, you can bitch about a non-signing but until the ball gets tossed when the whistle blows - we just won't know!!

DF will be a success if we tank for Wiggins and signs Lebron when he opts out of his contact next year.

DF will be a failure when he signs Oden to a guaranteed 5yr/12mil per year contract.

Until games are played DF's success or failure cannot be determined. You can piss on a signing, you can bitch about a non-signing but until the ball gets tossed when the whistle blows - we just won't know!!

Posted Image

Edited by JohnnyCASH

Man let the man work.

One night yall screaming for Josh to leave, now he is gone and you guys are still upset.

The next yall complain that Teague sucks and not a real or true PG. Then when he leaves yall get upset

I like the moves. Our core was trash, our coach was trash, our player development was trash, and our front office was trash. I hope we play all the rookies this year and tank.

GO HAWKS

• Premium Member

And I'll add: the roster has not been completed, not a single minute has been played, and our new coach has not assumed his spot on the sidelines (which, BTW, is a huge X factor that's being ignored). Yet, you're already claiming epic failure.

Truth is: you have no clue what's coming this season, on the court or off.

You know what's a great predictor of future events???

Past events??

Future actions?? Past Actions??

I peaked over at the optimism thread and saw a post by Benhill boy saying that Danny Ferry knows more about putting together a winning team than any of us.

Here is my response.

We know more about putting together a losing team that Danny does. And this sir is how you start it.

The first bad assumption is that Danny knows how to put together a winning team because he was part of the Spurs organization. Let's make this perfectly clear. Without Tim Duncan.. The gift of 1997... The Spurs would be NOTHING and there is no San Antonio way. Scientifically, the San Antonio way is far too reliant on the impossible happening.. a team having a guy like Tim Duncan as the anchor. Without Duncan, they are just a bunch of shooters with a PG who can drive and shoot = Golden State.

More importantly, Danny is bringing the same approach to recruiting that Popp uses. Come play for us.

Well when you have 4 championships and Tim Duncan, come play for us is a very good pitch.

However, what does Atlanta Have? A history of losing.

Yeah, Danny has seen the movements of a winning organization.

And we have seen the movements of a losing one.

Right now, Danny is making the movements of a losing organization. Take it from an expert! I've been a fan since Fast Eddie Johnson and Dan Roundfield.

Who can sit here and say Dennis Schröder isn't a better PG than Teague without seeing him play in the NBA? Or that Millsap actually playing the minutes Josh got last season won't = to Millsap actually being a better signing? The season hasn't started, and we haven't even finished the roster. So to say Ferry is failing is funny, when all he has done so far was to bring the down the roster that was in the worst spot in sports, the "going nowhere, middle". He also has handled the cap to where he now has it in the palm of his hands for the next few years. Everything he has done has been to improve the attitude, the success and the approach of how to run a successful franchise.

Edited by RWF
  • Like 1

" DANNY FERRY IS SLOWLY DESTROYING THE ATLANTA FAN BASE.."

What fan base? We were ranked 26th out of 30 in attendance.

Link:

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Agree! I love how all the "fans" are upset with what Ferry is doing. Where are all these people when MIA, NYK, LAL aren't in town? I go to 20-30 games a year and the place is practically empty. Philips is the best sports venue in the city with the worst fan support. The Hawks could not even sell out in the playoffs vs. Indy.

Very simple Ag...

What would Ferry have to do to be seen as a failure in your eyes?

What would Ferry have to do to be seen as successful in your eyes?

Put yourself out there and let's see if you have more than just blind loyalty to whoever sits in the chair.

To be 100% honest, I don't think you can tell at this point whether or not he has failed or succeeded. What I'm saying is that we need to wait and see before we start these super dramatic negativity posts. I think one full season of basketball is way too small of a sample size to tell whether or not a GM has failed or succeeded.

Having said that, I think he is setting us up for success as well as any GM in his position could have. Getting toxic contracts (untradeable, many thought) off the books and bringing in smart team players is a step in the right direction.

I don't think any GM in the world would have walked in last summer and set us up to be a championship contender next year. The only way that was possible was D12 and CP3, which was always a long shot.

For me, a lot of it is the culture. Sure, I'm biased but I really didn't want to endure another season of watching Josh play basketball. I love and support the culture of blue collar guys coming in and working their asses off within a system. I love watching a team like Memphis or San Antonio play. For me, this is a refreshing change of pace.

To sum up, I consider the quick change of culture to be a success. Obviously wins are the ultimate barometer of success and I think we have to give it a few years of support. Hell, if we can support the last 10 years of hawks basketball, we can see this thing through, right?

*edit: Also, situations like Bynum are such a toss up. A year from now we'll know if Ferry was an idiot for not making an offer or maybe he'll turn out to be a genius if bynum sits for 81 games next year. Who knows?

Edited by ag82