• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Danny Ferry is slowly destroying the Atlanta fan base..

willthepureshooter

Give it some time?? Really? He dismantled our whole team. He fires a coach that actually had a winning season (when nobody expected anything).He gets 1 draft pick for Johnson that he spends on a guy who won't be available for 2 years. (Cash stash).He misses on the major free agents.He misses on the minor free agents.He keeps our current players in the dark so that they become disenchanted with the franchise. What's left?Is he gonna rip down Dominique's Jersey and piss on it and call Nique a marginal player at best? Danny has this year. IMO. Signs suggest that he's not going to do anything to move us forward.

He dismantled a team that should've been dismantled a couple of years agoHe built a competitive team on one year contractsHe got a sit down with a FA who from every source hates the city of Atlanta and everybody in it.He's gotten quality players on team friendly (and moveable) contracts (Millsap, Lou, Korver)He's drafted solid pieces (Jenkins,Scott) and potential building blocks (Dennis,Bebe)I know alot of people got caught in the quick fix of Dwight and the potential of Bynum but this was always going to be a process

Are we all copy each others lines right now..? Lol! You can't be serious with this Danny Ferry comrade. He gets rid of Duck (Bravo) and Joe Johnsons contract (Bravo), but what else has he done? Drafted a good point guard for the future in Schröder (Bravo) and a super reach in Side Show Bob (blank stare).. What else? Paul Milsap (TNT) signing will lead to Al Horfords exit because Ferry has once again ignored his building focus with his dictator mentality. We are once again an undersized Cleveland Cavs team ala Lebron James era...

• Premium Member

He dismantled a team that should've been dismantled a couple of years ago

He built a competitive team on one year contracts

He got a sit down with a FA who from every source hates the city of Atlanta and everybody in it.

He's gotten quality players on team friendly (and moveable) contracts (Millsap, Lou, Korver)

He's drafted solid pieces (Jenkins,Scott) and potential building blocks (Dennis,Bebe)

I know alot of people got caught in the quick fix of Dwight and the potential of Bynum but this was always going to be a process

[*]He dismantled a team that should have been dismantled and got 1 yr contracts in return. (THAT EQUALS NOTHING)

[*]He didn't build a competitive team, we didn't compete with anybody over .500. He was given 1 yr contracts and it came with an unstated promise that he would do something good with the capspace.

[*]He got a sitdown with Dwight because we had the most money to offer. Period. Dwight used us as Leverage. This is something that always have happened to us.

[*]I'm not going to talk bad about the players he got us.. But the best player he got us is a duplication. Millsap is Josh Smith with better decision making and much worse defense. Right now, it seems as if the only thing we got was Millsap and we have kept Horf at Center. We didn't even reup Petro or Zaza who we know can help.

[*]Ferry will be gone by the time Lucas can play (if ever). I keep hearing about all these solid picks. However, there was a lot of teams willing to trade out of the lottery this year and we didn't move a muscle. All these people talking about tanking. If you would have given what we had to another capable GM.. say Morey.... we wouldn't have done what Ferry has done.

[*]

I understand the doubts people are feeling. I try to never condemn someone before a game has been played so doubts I have won't matter if Ferry somehow has us winning. I'm one of those guys happy if we win 46 or more games and are competitive in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

I thought Ferry made great moves last year by adding needed pieces to an already good core. He just got killed with the injury bug. But this year he is taking a different approach. Let most of the core go and replace a little bit of it. So of course some of us doubt. But I'm always hoping he makes me look dumb for doubting and wins more than expected.

Yes I somewhat agree with you, but Ferry has done more than just replaced a little bit of the core. He has gotten rid of everyone except Horford, whom I think still has Charmin like tendencies. And if you truly wanted 'hard nose' players, why was Ivan Johnson kicked to the curve?

[*]He dismantled a team that should have been dismantled and got 1 yr contracts in return. (THAT EQUALS NOTHING)

[*]He didn't build a competitive team, we didn't compete with anybody over .500. He was given 1 yr contracts and it came with an unstated promise that he would do something good with the capspace.

[*]He got a sitdown with Dwight because we had the most money to offer. Period. Dwight used us as Leverage. This is something that always have happened to us.

[*]I'm not going to talk bad about the players he got us.. But the best player he got us is a duplication. Millsap is Josh Smith with better decision making and much worse defense. Right now, it seems as if the only thing we got was Millsap and we have kept Horf at Center. We didn't even reup Petro or Zaza who we know can help.

[*]Ferry will be gone by the time Lucas can play (if ever). I keep hearing about all these solid picks. However, there was a lot of teams willing to trade out of the lottery this year and we didn't move a muscle. All these people talking about tanking. If you would have given what we had to another capable GM.. say Morey.... we wouldn't have done what Ferry has done.

[*]

Dwight didn't use us as leverage, what the hell are you talking about? Man, back to the ignore list.

• Premium Member

There is no correlation between long/athletic and winning. There is a correlation between good analytics and winning.

BullShit... let me spell it out this time. IN BASKETBALL... The key to winning is star talent. NOT analytics. Take that to Baseball where it belongs.

Utah has had great analytic good guys. They have never won a championship. They were closer when they had star talent. Just didn't have any that was better than Jordan/Pippen.

Ferry means well but he fails to realize that the only thing that worked in San Antonio was Tim Duncan.

• Like 2

1. JJ is the reason they have a team. Deron would be in Dallas. They would be a team with Gerald Wallace and Brooks that nobody wanted to play for. 2. You're right Drew's contract expire. So we didn't replace a guy with a .557 winning percentage. Instead we replace him with Danny's Boy. 0.557 is very impressive considering what Drew did it with. 1 yr, no Horford. 1 yr, no Joe. Last year, not only no Joe, but for most of the season, everybody injured at one time or another. NO Zaza. No Lou. And we replace .557 with Bud "I have never coached in the League". 3. It's not that we missed out on FAs. We knew that coming into this FAcy period, we would be a major player Money wise. Yet, it seems like we have Absolutely NO FREAKIN plan. He doesn't even feel the need to woo his targets.

You're probably right about JJ keeping Deron in Brooklyn but he is just a role player at this point. His contract was going to be a major burden for us if we didn't trade him. We did battle injuries last year and, as it has been said many times, Drew was great at coming up with plays out of timeouts. I'd still say that getting to the playoffs with a playoff caliber roster isn't a huge achievement. Edit: Yes, Bud has never been a head coach but most people around the league loved the move and Pop seems to have a ton of respect for Bud. We didn't know that we would be a major player, but we knew that we could be a major player. Making moves just because you have money isn't smart. Passing up on certain players doesn't mean there isn't a plan. I'd pass on the Iggy contract, I'd pass on the Evans contract, and I'm glad we let Josh walk. Edited by supermariowest

Bottom line, D - you nor any of us have any clue what Danny has in store. We are in the infant stages of his rebuild.

Maybe you can speed things up, though, if you can get in his ear about your Horford for Diaw, Bonner and Neal swap.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dwight didn't use us as leverage, what the hell are you talking about? Man, back to the ignore list.

Dwight used Us, Dallas and Golden State as Leverage.

Do you for 1 freakin second believe that Dwight seriously considered Atlanta???

That was a courtesy call.

In case things didn't work out with the Rockets.. instead of going back to Kobe, Dwight used Us as a "target".

Well, things didn't work out with Kobe.. but the Rockets were willing to meet every need and not lowball Dwight because we were waiting in the wings. That's how a FA uses a team as LEVERAGE.

BTW Supe.. Are you still parading around as an AGENT???

Why should anybody take anything you say seriously.

Ignore that!!

Edited by Diesel

There is no correlation between long/athletic and winning. There is a correlation between good analytics and winning.

Dam a team with 6'8 to 6'10 guys with no real pg or center just won the last 2 nba titles. Billy Knight is walking his dog and eating his peanuts with a smile on his face somewhere.

• Premium Member

Well he's certainly turned us against each other...

No one can actually disagree with this. Either pro tank or anti tank, we haven't seen this kind of complete divide in our fanbase here on the Squawk since....frankly the old days pre Dolfan when posting here was like showdowns in the Old West.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Dwight is not anyone in Atlanta's fault except for maybe his overbearing parents. Dwight didn't want to be here, plain and simple and no matter how hard Danny pushed, Dwight would not have budged. Andrew Bynum wasn't even offered a contract because the Hawks medical staff and Danny felt that the risk was higher than the reward. We really don't know what Ferry is thinking - ever. He is the best type of manager: one that keeps the in-house business IN-HOUSE. Fans like to complain that the "The Hawks will always be the same ole Hawks" and that "This team has hit their ceiling" and "the Hawks will always be mediocre" and what has Ferry done? In fact, Danny has done everything that the fans have asked... He went after Dwight, tried to get CP3, and got rid of Josh. He got rid of duck butt and Joe to free up cap for improvement. He got rid of the old, broken talent. He has drafted well. He is bring in smart talent to replace the dumb talent. Only thing that hasn't happened is getting Horf to 4, but who knows. I swear, there is no pleasing the ignorant fans that just don't damn get it. You guys complain that it's the same ole Hawks, yet get pissed when Zaza, Josh, and Teague swept out of town and is replaced by Millsap. He resigns a fan-fave from last season in Korver, yet you complain that Ferry paid too much for the best 3pt shooter in the league. IN THE LEAGUE! And as for Teague, he dug his own grave with all of the lackluster performances and Houdini disappearing acts he played on the floor. And it was a layup Jeff. In a skills competition on national television. Let him walk to Milwaukee to reunite with old man Larry and broken Zaza. Just because you guys don't know what's happening, doesn't mean that Ferry doesn't know how to do his job. It is NO where in Danny's job description to give the fans weekly updates and insider scoops. I am happy that Ferry is so secretive and is our GM! IFWT

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Dwight used Us, Dallas and Golden State as Leverage.

Do you for 1 freakin second believe that Dwight seriously considered Atlanta???

That was a courtesy call.

In case things didn't work out with the Rockets.. instead of going back to Kobe, Dwight used Us as a "target".

Well, things didn't work out with Kobe.. but the Rockets were willing to meet every need and not lowball Dwight because we were waiting in the wings. That's how a FA uses a team as LEVERAGE.

BTW Supe.. Are you still parading around as an AGENT???

Why should anybody take anything you say seriously.

Ignore that!!

Diesel is right about using us. There's no question in my mind Dwight simply used us and GS to force Houston to give him EVERYTHING he wanted both money wise and with getting the players he want.

• Premium Member

You're probably right about JJ keeping Deron in Brooklyn but he is just a role player at this point. His contract was going to be a major burden for us if we didn't trade him. We did battle injuries last year and, as it has been said many times, Drew was great at coming up with plays out of timeouts. I'd still say that getting to the playoffs with a playoff caliber roster isn't a huge achievement. Edit: Yes, Bud has never been a head coach but most people around the league loved the move and Pop seems to have a ton of respect for Bud. We didn't know that we would be a major player, but we knew that we could be a major player. Making moves just because you have money isn't smart. Passing up on certain players doesn't mean there isn't a plan. I'd pass on the Iggy contract, I'd pass on the Evans contract, and I'm glad we let Josh walk.

I'm not arguing that we shouldn't have traded Joe. It was time. However, in trading Joe... Ferry got us nothing back. Couldn't even get Marshon Brooks. All we got was capspace that we have since squandered.

If the Hawks were so Terrible as a group.. I mean everybody hated Josh. Everybody hated Teague..

Then why are we more respectful of the work that Larry Drew did? People applauded Ferry for replacing a .557 coach for an assistant who has never won a game??

Ferry doesn't seem to have a plan. One minute he states he wants good value, good guys. The next, he's courting Jennings and Ellis and Bynum.

BullShit... let me spell it out this time. IN BASKETBALL... The key to winning is star talent. NOT analytics. Take that to Baseball where it belongs.Utah has had great analytic good guys. They have never won a championship. They were closer when they had star talent. Just didn't have any that was better than Jordan/Pippen.Ferry means well but he fails to realize that the only thing that worked in San Antonio was Tim Duncan.

It's not bull man, there is definitely a correlation between analytics and winning. Statistics are unbiased records of what happens on the court. Star talent shows up in the advanced stats. A player can be a star talent and a stathead's dream -- these are not mutually exclusive categories.
  • Like 1