• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Beer Thread

AHF

Probably but most beer snobs actually spend as much time buying beer as drinking it. My friends who just drink Bud or whatever consume about 3 times as much as I do in general. I like beer but i'm pretty amateur at consumption. 2 or 3 and i'm done usually.

Well Bud types are weirdos anyway, that stuff is nasty. I pretty much only drink Shiner Bock and Killian's Irish Red or sometimes a Sam Adams but that's about it for me. I'm simple but at least I like a good tasting beer and not that Bud / Miller nasty stuff. And I'm usually a 2-3 beers during a game type, although that turned into 6 during Monday night's blowout loss.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well Bud types are weirdos anyway, that stuff is nasty. I pretty much only drink Shiner Bock and Killian's Irish Red or sometimes a Sam Adams but that's about it for me. I'm simple but at least I like a good tasting beer and not that Bud / Miller nasty stuff. And I'm usually a 2-3 beers during a game type, although that turned into 6 during Monday night's blowout loss.

I think a lot of "mainstream" beers are underrated. Shiner Bock is one of my favorites. Boddingtons is awesome. I also like old school ales and lagers from the northern breweries that were in Wisconsin, PA, NY etc. in the 50s-70s. Is anyone old enough to have had this one below? I'm not really but Pabst brought it back briefly. Don't know if its still available.

Posted Image

Ah the olden days when ball players endorsed beer and cigarettes

Posted Image

Edited by macdaddy

• Moderators

I've come to the conclusion that you guys drink waaay more beer than I do.

I usually drink 1-5 beers per week (with 2-3 being most frequent). I had the Spaten and Lakefront beers last weekend. Last night I had my first beer since last weekend. Despite the very high praise, I was not as enamored as I had hoped to be. It is a very nicely executed beer but too heavy on the coffee flavor for someone who doesn't love coffee. That is really more my fault because that is exactly how they advertise it:

The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates, and Sumatra and Kona coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever.

Despite being labelled a double chocolate stout, there isn't too much sweet flavor - it is more about the coffee. In that respect, it reminded me a bit more of an Imperial Stout than an Oatmeal Stout:

Posted Image

Recommended for coffee lovers and I wouldn't mind having another but I won't go out of my way for it personally.

I am either going to age the other bottle (which I have found improves most Imperial stouts) or let my father in law drink it (he is a coffee fan).

• 2 weeks later...

I tried brewing my own beer - not a disaster but not worth the time and effort on a small scale.

I can't brew a beer better than "Fat Tire" for regular drinking (so I quit). I'm sure there are others as good but I grew up in the micro brew era in Colorado with Fat Tire....I'm sure the F/T brew was better then...now I try new specialties. Enjoying the "Growler" location nearby where I can have a taste before buying.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

After enjoying the Octoberfest so much, I tried the premium lager from Spaten and was less impressed. It is fine but less distinctive and flavorful than the Octoberfest. I still want to try their Dunkel.

Posted Image

B-

• Moderators

I love beer but frankly i'm not that great at the descriptions. Mostly I drink American craft beers like sweetwater etc.

I will say that one of my all time favs is Rogue Dead Guy. Its not really off the beaten path per se but it is really good especially on draft.

Lately l've been getting really burned out on beer and that's when i reach for Dead Guy.

Posted Image

I picked up a 6 pack of this a month ago and have been enjoying it but not loving it. It is a good clean ale.

I also tried their Mocha Porter which was likewise solid. A less pronounced coffee flavor than the Founders Breakfast Stout.

B ratings for me

• Moderators

Had the Chimay Blue and found it overrated. Well made but no where close to the Rochefort 8 or 10.

Posted Image

I put this one down as a B- for me. I won't be ordering it again most likely given the price point.

• Moderators

According to our waiter, this was selected as the World's Best Beer:

Posted Image

Very well made beer. To nitpick, I found it to be overcarbonated but I would happily have this again especially if I can have it with someone else footing the bill like I did at a work dinner.

La fin du monde's website claims it is the most highly regarded Canadian beer but doesn't claim the world title. Either way, it was an enjoyable novelty to try.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

I'm not a hoppy beer fan but I really enjoyed this IPA last weekend:

a7a546c3023cfabd5d480c2bb7c23220.jpg

While it is definitely an IPA, it is more drinkable than a lot of them for me and the flavor doesn't get overpowered by the hops. It does have a 7% ABV so probably not one to pound repeatedly but I picked up a six pack to enjoy periodically this summer after the good introduction. Good stuff.

• Like 1

I'm in eastern Africa this month and Tusker isn't bad. Frankly I haven't found an excellent beer here, but if anyone knows of one drop me a note!

For home I like Skullsplitter. It is sort of like a Oktoberfest but a little harder.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Thanks for posting.  I  haven't had either of those stouts but will be checking them out if i can find them.   Just got back from the UK and enjoyed quite a few different english ales.   Can't remember any names of course.

I will say while in Scotland that Tenants is really awful.   I tried two different ones and found them not so good.   

• Like 1

I really enjoy stouts.  If you like that you might like a good oatmeal stout as well.  Not quite as sweet but fairly similar basic profile.  

Hmm that does sound good. And looks good too! I just love me a dark beer!! 

Thanks for posting.  I  haven't had either of those stouts but will be checking them out if i can find them.   Just got back from the UK and enjoyed quite a few different english ales.   Can't remember any names of course.

I will say while in Scotland that Tenants is really awful.   I tried two different ones and found them not so good.   

I bet if you were washing down some Haggis with it, you'd find it's the best liquid you've ever poured down your gullet. 

• Like 1

Check this out

http://banoosh.com/blog/2014/04/03/8-beers-stop-drinking-immediately/

The one that gets me is Guiness.   Corn syrup?   Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn.

I'm more worried about the fish bladder. That sounds disgusting!  Who the hell figures out that putting a fish bladder into the beer does something for it? And do they drain the bladder 1st or is the urine the special ingredient?