• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is Ferry's end game?

Jody23

Horford and Milsap are in there primes and will be at there best for the next lets say 3-4 years.....so why trade them??? these guys are a threat to all the teams in the East....what down low threat is better??? maybe West/Hibbert??....Drummond and Monroe maybe in a couple of years but not now....Garnett looks his age now so hes pretty much done....theres really no down low combo that we will have to worry about other than Indiana....We need an SF.....I dont care who it is.....someone who can give us 15-20 points a night from that position....and is an OK defender....Evan Turner, Rudy Gay (I dont care about his contract nonsense....regardless hes hit more buzzer beaters than anyone on Atlanta right now) Jeff Green....although hes play SG on Boston hes 6'7 and can definately adjust to wing....Luol Deng....who may leave Chi Town after this season....those are our ONLY options to possibly come to Atlanta....if we can get one of these guys we are a top 4 team in the East.

This is going to be the deepest draft since 2003. Nobody is overhyping it....it is what is. Andrew wiggins has the potential to be a legit superstar, he's not there yet but he could develop into the guy, he has all the tools. Jabari Parker is the most refined scorer I've seen in college since Durant. Now he won't be Durant bc he doesn't have his size but he has the skills. Exum I haven't seen much of so I can't speak on him but apparently the guy is big time. Randle is one of those rare guys who's just built to be a physically imposing type player. At 18 this guy is really a grown man but also has a top flight skill set. Marcus Smart reminds me of a guy like D Wade....has passing ability but is best at being aggressive and scoring. Has the size, strength, and speed to be effective at whatever position people decide to play him at. Gordon is a dude that I'm nog sure about yet, I see ridiculous athleticism but not sure about the rest of his game yet....really just haven't seen enough of him. There are other guys who could be really solid guys like that 7 footer from Kansas or the or Glenn Robinson.....there's plenty of talent here, plenty!

This is going to be the deepest draft since 2003. Nobody is overhyping it....it is what is. Andrew wiggins has the potential to be a legit superstar, he's not there yet but he could develop into the guy, he has all the tools. Jabari Parker is the most refined scorer I've seen in college since Durant. Now he won't be Durant bc he doesn't have his size but he has the skills. Exum I haven't seen much of so I can't speak on him but apparently the guy is big time. Randle is one of those rare guys who's just built to be a physically imposing type player. At 18 this guy is really a grown man but also has a top flight skill set. Marcus Smart reminds me of a guy like D Wade....has passing ability but is best at being aggressive and scoring. Has the size, strength, and speed to be effective at whatever position people decide to play him at. Gordon is a dude that I'm nog sure about yet, I see ridiculous athleticism but not sure about the rest of his game yet....really just haven't seen enough of him. There are other guys who could be really solid guys like that 7 footer from Kansas or the or Glenn Robinson.....there's plenty of talent here, plenty!

This is all based on their high school games though. Wiggins has the tools, but he has work to do. Is Parker athletic enough? I think he is, but we'll see. Smart can't shoot, I'm not a fan of him at all actually, he's not very explosive. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. Exum is fast as lightning but pretty raw otherwise. He'll go top 5 (deservedly), but he may not live up to it. He's not really a better prospect than Schröder, for example, and he's going top 5 in this draft. Selden is SLOW. Embiid is raw. Cauley stein is not good.

I can't get a read on Randle. He's huge but he likes to play on the perimeter, kinda like Anthony Bennet, who finally hit his first field goal. That Semaj Chrison dude can ball and so can Gary Harris and Hezonja and Saric, but their all projected to go mid-first round. I haven't even gotten into I. Thomas and some other dudes.

This draft is a lot like the 2012 one actually. Wiggins is the best prospect since Anthony Davis, not Lebron. Anthony Davis is sick.

• Premium Member

Agree with Wretch and Macecase here. However I think that strategy is as pie-in-the-sky as tanking. He'd basically be waiting for snother Harden-esque deal or for some team to covet Teague or Milsap enough to trade multiple 1sts?

I guess I'll just try to get comfortable with a 6-8 seed-type team. Sigh.

This is where I'm at too, but I understand his logic - why drag the franchise through the misery of losing seasons and further damage the culture when you can take your chances the same way with trades and free agency. If it's all the same at the end of the day, Danny Ferry is going to take the competitive route and "win without losing."

Although I GET IT, I don't agree with it. Unless you've got a team on the rise or an established contender on your hands, you've got to do ***WHAT.EVER*** it takes to get a centerpiece for your team. That means trades, free agency, and digging into the sweet spot of the NBA draft (the lottery).

This game is affected so much by special players and those guys are difficult to obtain and even maintain. This isn't something you just d!ck around with. That's what BK did and really, that's what Pete Babcock did... There is no "new formula" to come up with and there is no "alternative" method to building a contender. There is only one way...and that is through a phenomenal talent that you build your whole organization around.

You don't screw around with that. You just do what you have to do to get it - WHATEVER that may be.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Its funny to see all of these wild suggestions in this thread knowing that other teams have tried the exact same things over and over without success. build thru the draft with super stars- Washington, Cleveland twice, Orlando, Charlotte, Philly, Detroit, Milwaukee, Toronto, New Orleans, Minnesota, Sacramento, Utah, OKC. Memphis, Bulls, Indy etc. or picking up the big name free agent New York, New Jersey, La Clippers, Atlanta ETC all with the same end result...No rings. So there isn't an easy fix out there so giv the man some time.

No rings...but do you realize how many contenders you've named? Teams that have reached the Conference Finals... Forget the Championship games... My God...what I wouldn't GIVE just to see the Hawks in prime time, with the CHANCE at GOING to the NBA Finals.

Why is it that people can't see past the extremes? Do you guys realize that there's MORE to the NBA than just a championship? Do you understand that there's more to rookies than just wishing for the next LeBron? I don't need to see us win a ring to be happy. Just watching the Hawks play for a CHANCE at the ring...that would be incredible.

Yes, it's going to take a phenomenal talent to carry us there, but I'd be happy to watch a young crew develop and HOPE that one of them can become that player. Or...watch with excitement as the trade deadline comes around knowing that other teams REALLY want the guys we have; and maybe, we'll see a blockbuster go down.

There's more to it than just "win a ring" or "draft Kevin Durant."

Edited by Wretch

• Premium Member

No rings...but do you realize how many contenders you've named? Teams that have reached the Conference Finals... Forget the Championship games... My God...what I wouldn't GIVE just to see the Hawks in prime time, with the CHANCE at GOING to the NBA Finals.

Why is it that people can't see past the extremes? Do you guys realize that there's MORE to the NBA than just a championship? Do you understand that there's more to rookies than just wishing for the next LeBron? I don't need to see us win a ring to be happy. Just watching the Hawks play for a CHANCE at the ring...that would be incredible.

Yes, it's going to take a phenomenal talent to carry us there, but I'd be happy to watch a young crew develop and HOPE that one of them can become that player. Or...watch with excitement as the trade deadline comes around knowing that other teams REALLY want the guys we have; and maybe, we'll see a blockbuster go down.

There's more to it than just "win a ring" or "draft Kevin Durant."

Uhhh the guy just got here 2 years ago! Can we give the guy a little more time?

• Premium Member

Uhhh the guy just got here 2 years ago! Can we give the guy a little more time?

Um? I didn't say he failed?I don't agree with his approach to building a team. I think we need to rebuild. I also don't believe in "championship or bust" as you put it. I'm also pointing out that there are quite a few teams on your list that have been to the conference finals - something that we (to include Danny Ferry) have absolutely failed to do...and will likely fail to do this year.

• Like 1

This is all based on their high school games though. Wiggins has the tools, but he has work to do. Is Parker athletic enough? I think he is, but we'll see. Smart can't shoot, I'm not a fan of him at all actually, he's not very explosive. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. Exum is fast as lightning but pretty raw otherwise. He'll go top 5 (deservedly), but he may not live up to it. He's not really a better prospect than Schröder, for example, and he's going top 5 in this draft. Selden is SLOW. Embiid is raw. Cauley stein is not good. I can't get a read on Randle. He's huge but he likes to play on the perimeter, kinda like Anthony Bennet, who finally hit his first field goal. That Semaj Chrison dude can ball and so can Gary Harris and Hezonja and Saric, but their all projected to go mid-first round. I haven't even gotten into I. Thomas and some other dudes. This draft is a lot like the 2012 one actually. Wiggins is the best prospect since Anthony Davis, not Lebron. Anthony Davis is sick.

This is all based on their high school games though. Wiggins has the tools, but he has work to do. Is Parker athletic enough? I think he is, but we'll see. Smart can't shoot, I'm not a fan of him at all actually, he's not very explosive. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong. Exum is fast as lightning but pretty raw otherwise. He'll go top 5 (deservedly), but he may not live up to it. He's not really a better prospect than Schröder, for example, and he's going top 5 in this draft. Selden is SLOW. Embiid is raw. Cauley stein is not good. I can't get a read on Randle. He's huge but he likes to play on the perimeter, kinda like Anthony Bennet, who finally hit his first field goal. That Semaj Chrison dude can ball and so can Gary Harris and Hezonja and Saric, but their all projected to go mid-first round. I haven't even gotten into I. Thomas and some other dudes. This draft is a lot like the 2012 one actually. Wiggins is the best prospect since Anthony Davis, not Lebron. Anthony Davis is sick.

What 18 year old doesn't need work? Nobody expects wiggins to be Lebron, there's only one of those. The guy has a chance to be really special and at this point that's all you can hope for. Satin he's comparable to Davis as far as prospects is exactly what I mean. Davis is going to be a star. With Jabari he's about as polished on offense as you can be at this stage...I made a comparison to pierce who was never really a crazy athletic guy but had enough to get it done...Jabari is more athletic than he was plus he's bigger. Randle isn't Bennett...first off he's not a tweener. Bennett is to slow to defend on the perimeter and not big enough to be down low...randle is a legit 6'9 with a more explosive first step. He needs work but again the potential is there. Smart is the definition of a combo guard, he may not be a star but he will be solid. Damn good defensively and has very good size. Attacks the basket hard although he's not the most athletic guy his size and strength allows him to finish in traffic. Guys can develop a shot so not really a huge concern. Again don't know much about Exum and don't like selden much myself but whatever. Embiid may be raw but he's a freaking freshman and he's 7'0...you can't teach size. The thing is you do realize that outside of the top 5 really nothing came out of that 2003 draft. Kaman maybe and Perkins but those guys aren't much. Again I stand by what I said in this being the DEEPEST since 03.

• Premium Member

This draft is loaded. I've said a few times before, but I think Randle would be a good fit. Randle has PF size with SF skills and nice athleticism. He's not afraid to mix it up inside and can be physically imposing to opposing SFs at the next level. Parker is nice as well because of his ability to be a go to guy. He's a VERY smooth wing who makes the game look easy. Wiggins is well out of reach for the Hawks, but he does need more polish on his perimeter shooting to be complete. Honestly, all of these guys will be out of reach for the Hawks unless Ferry grenades the team at the trade deadline. I'm torn because I like to see the Hawks win, but if there was ever a time to be in the lottery, it's this season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Hey guys, think of this: as of today the Hawks are the 4th seed in the East playoffs while also being slated for the 4th pick in the draft.

The ultimate scenario for Ferry.

This would be my ultimate scenario as well. It's going to take a top 4 pick in the lottery to get a potential franchise changer. It's a pipedream at this point though. I still think this team is kinda boring, but they are good enough to make the Playoffs.

OK...lets take the Hawks out of the equasion and just look at the NBA "system" when it comes to the draft.. Getting a top level player in the draft has a MUCH bigger impact than in the NFL or MLB. That's why they don't do ping pong balls in those sports. If teams had not tanked for the top pick(s) in the past there would be no lottery.

If there were no lottery we would be seeing some absurd basketball from the lowest teams at the end of the year (especially this year). So...since we know that would happen and we know that they even had to put a system in place to reduce the practice, it's only common sense to realize that getting the high pick in a good draft year is very important.

You don't have to make special rules to prevent a practice (tanking) that has proven to be ineffective.

Comparing people being at the top of other drafts isn't the same as being at the top of this one. Normally there's one guy who sets himself apart from everyone like an Anthony Davis. Last year wa terrible bc there wasn't a guy that really deserved a number 1 pick. This year there is a guy in Andrew wiggins but there are others that you may actually want to take a look at in Jabari and Randle. This team needs wing help and this draft is loaded with it. Forgive me for not being upset when this team loses games this year but I promise you it's for the good of the team.

How quickly we forget. What did we have when our GM came here?

We had talent, not super talent, that was taking us to the first round

of the playoffs, maybe, just maybe, winning that 1st game.

Our payroll was at the top, ready to spill over into the luxury tax with

any significant additions, which we really needed.

Most, not all, now agree that this current Hawk team has the potential

of going just as far in the playoffs. Our current roster consists of players

with reasonable contracts to match their talents.

Some believe that Dennis is a future all star PG and that our GM did a

wonderful thing when he drafted Dennis. He certainly hasn't shown that

greatness as of yet. He's got a lot of growing to do before he reaches such

a lofty position, but the potential is there. Meanwhile, our current PG is

proving to be a much better one than many want to believe.

Remember too, that the Hawks had three draft picks last year. All are from

over seas (remember this) and that we have two centers who are stashed

on foreign teams, that don't count against our payroll, are maturing for us and

are both tall enough to fit the idea of an NBA true sized center.

Will these three become great NBA players? We don't know. There is no

guarantees with any of them. Will all these draft picks next season become

great all star players? Again, we don't really know. "A bird in the hand is worth

two in the brush" we are told. Our three we already have in hand.

All of us keep crying, we really gotta have an NBA super star to come to Atlanta,

otherwise we will never, ever become champs of the NBA. We come up with

all sorts of elaborate schemes to get that player. Yet, those players that we

believe fits that description of what we just gotta have refuses our enticing offer

to come here.

The Hawks have had some high draft picks. They turned out not to be the super

stars we had hoped for. But, this time will be different, we say. Really?

When we consider all the draft picks available this upcoming season, are all the

future great ones here, in the USA, playing right now? Our GM has an eye out

for talent all over the world. We already know this from last year's draft. Don't

sell our GM short. He's got brains. He knows stuff we can only guess at.

I believe that the contrast in what we had when our GM signed on here and what

we have today is amazing, to say the least. He has his own man now as head

coach and they should work together, hand in glove, to grow this franchise.

Bud came here with one strike against him as he got picked up driving, apparently

with too many under his belt. He has this to live down as this is not acceptable

behavior for our team leader. If he's as smart as we believe he is, this will not

happen again.

With all his experience as an assistant, he must learn and grow as he takes on

being a head coach for the very first time. We must be patient with him and with

all the new players we have.

From what we have heard, we have a roster full of guys with a reasonable IQ and

not nairy one of those who qualify as "dumb as a box of rocks." Good. If they are

to learn our new coach's offensive and defensive schemes, we would hope that

they are smart enough to do so.

If the Hawks were a farm, I would have to say, "Our crops look good right now."

• Like 1

No rings...but do you realize how many contenders you've named? Teams that have reached the Conference Finals... Forget the Championship games... My God...what I wouldn't GIVE just to see the Hawks in prime time, with the CHANCE at GOING to the NBA Finals. Why is it that people can't see past the extremes? Do you guys realize that there's MORE to the NBA than just a championship? Do you understand that there's more to rookies than just wishing for the next LeBron? I don't need to see us win a ring to be happy. Just watching the Hawks play for a CHANCE at the ring...that would be incredible. Yes, it's going to take a phenomenal talent to carry us there, but I'd be happy to watch a young crew develop and HOPE that one of them can become that player. Or...watch with excitement as the trade deadline comes around knowing that other teams REALLY want the guys we have; and maybe, we'll see a blockbuster go down. There's more to it than just "win a ring" or "draft Kevin Durant."

Great post man I really agree with everything you're saying.