• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Thing About Korver's Streak

PSSSHHHRRR87

I like the streak in that it gives us something interesting to cheer on. But the basketball purest in me does not believe this is a streak. http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201305030ATL.html (check out my cool photoshop skillz!)

True, true. The game where we needed him to hit a three the most, he didn't. I'm sure he sees it the same way. I can give him a pass because it was against arguably the best defensive squad in the Association. And because he's Kyle F&@kin Korver.

True, true. The game where we needed him to hit a three the most, he didn't. I'm sure he sees it the same way. I can give him a pass because it was against arguably the best defensive squad in the Association. And because he's Kyle F&@kin Korver.

Yeah, I agree on all counts. I don't think Kyle is the one pushing this streak either, I think it is our marketing department doing this. Partly because I think they have a chubby for Kyle and because streaks/rare events can influence the consumer. They are trying to drum up some attention for the Hawks where people will want to tune in to see if he broke the record. I don't blame them, it makes sense.

It just isn't a record or a streak. When you say 85 straight games they really mean 85 straight games*

*by game we mean only regular season games.

If the record is for regular season games I don't see the issue. It is what it is.I guess they have all kinda records for regular and playoffs since not all teams/players make the playoffs.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

If the record is for regular season games I don't see the issue. It is what it is.I guess they have all kinda records for regular and playoffs since not all teams/players make the playoffs.

I just find it stupid that they have these conditional statistics. Dana Barros made 89 straight 3s in a game and that doesn't include the playoffs...because he didn't play a single playoff game during that time! His streak started December 23rd 1994 and lasted until January 10th 1996 (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pstreak.cgi?request=1&player_id=barroda01&year_min=1990&year_max=2004&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=&game_location=&is_starter=&c1stat=fg3&c1comp=ge&c1val=1&c2stat=&c2comp=ge&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=ge&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=ge&c4val=). I imagine if Kyle had made a three in Game 6 of the Playoffs against Indiana then we would have already heard about him claiming the longest streak of consecutive 3 pointers...

But I'm still going to be yelling about the streak in the chat!

I like the streak...it's fun...but if you look at the guys he is beating out (except Reggie)...few have really mattered that much as far as championships. It's kind of like the guy who played shortstop for the Orioles every game forever when they were always losing. A cute sideshow that has little to do with winning.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I like the streak...it's fun...but if you look at the guys he is beating out (except Reggie)...few have really mattered that much as far as championships. It's kind of like the guy who played shortstop for the Orioles every game forever when they were always losing. A cute sideshow that has little to do with winning.

Cal Ripken, Jr. Yeah, unless you're winning, who cares if you dressed out.

Article about the streak and SportVU! Apparently we use it (and by use it I mean use the NBA provided data on distance traveled).http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/hawks/2013/11/25/kyle-korver-three-point-record-atlanta-dana-barros/3710719/"The most amazing part about this streak is that he has not made a three in only one game during this streak! Wow, pretty amazing that when we say games we really mean only regular season games because the post season doesn't count for Atlanta!"

This.

It's a regular season record, and I hope he gets it. Playoffs are another animal. Dana Barros might have a longer streak if he played in the playoffs more. Apples to oranges. Go Kyle...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199601120BOS.html Dana Barros was 0-NINE on the game that broke his streak! The awesome thing about team-first KK is that I can't even picture him at the end of a game he doesn't have a 3 forcing a bad shot just to try to extend his streak.

What? Korver went 0-Seven when he broke his streak. Wait I mean when he didn't make a three during a game (post-season) in which his streak has continued in which to exist in so forth...or something like that.Let's not overrate Korver here, or this streak. Let's keep him at a moderate level of appreciation. Kyle doesn't generally force bad shots, but an 0fer 9 and an 0fer 7 aren't that different.

Dana Barros didn't go to the playoffs during the 89 game record, so why should playoffs count against KK?

Oh I don't know, probably because those games count towards what every team is trying to win. Pre-season games are explicitly exhibition, but post season? All streaks I know of and respect don't have a disclaimer on type of game. Cal Ripken included post season. And if Korver had made a three in game 6? Well then I bet we would have already seen Korver break the "record".Now I'm starting to sound like a real curmudgeon and someone who hates Korver. Well, only one of those things could possibly be true.

Oh I don't know, probably because those games count towards what every team is trying to win. Pre-season games are explicitly exhibition, but post season? All streaks I know of and respect don't have a disclaimer on type of game.

I'm not sure what's confusing about this it's a regular season record. The 6 games in the playoffs he hit 3's in didn't count towards his total, so why would the 7th game? Should the homerun record be higher because bonds hit a few more in the playoffs?Should Adreian Peterson own the rushing record because of the playoffs. The answer is no because the record was established for the regular season.
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Newspaper articles

#89 versus the Kings:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0a9JAAAAIBAJ&sjid=rA4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=5400,2570537&dq=celtics+kings+barros&hl=en

And the end versus the Knicks (NY 105, @BOS 92):

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=MrQeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Wc8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=5426,2099567&dq=celtics+kings+barros&hl=en

My favorite part:

"Barros missed all eight of his attempts, including five in the final minute as he tried desperately to keep the streak intact. The Knicks were just as determined to stop him as they triple-teamed him on his two attempts in the last two seconds. As the game ended, Knicks coach Don Nelson smiled and patted Barros on the back, but Boston coach M.L. Carr appeared furious, throwing the basketball toward Nelson."

It's not that serious! At least, let's hope not.

~lw3