• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

IF Asik, then what?

frankthetank966

The Omer Asik rumor has been floating around since last year. Apparently the Rockets have a high asking price considering the lack of legitimate centers in the NBA. In the 90s LeBron would never be able to play C and would have a tough time at PF. Nonetheless, if Atlanta traded for Asik what would happen long term? Ideally Milsap isn't traded. And if he's not what do the Hawks do next year? Milsap is a bargain and fits Buds system very well with his high BBIQ. This is the second time one of our favorite Hawks players has gone down for the year. Horford's recovery will be longer and tougher since he injured his shooting arm. Al did express frustration with the franchise in the off season and it wasn't clear if he was hinting towards asking for a trade. This is the issue. If the Hawks acquire a big man and retain Horford and Milsap how do they rotate the 3 players? Horford would naturally fit at PF, however Milsap is not a starting SF in my opinion. I agree that the Hawks needs C and SF, I just don't see how it's possible to retain Horford and Milsap and land a big long term.

• Premium Member

I think Millsap is versatile enough to play a lot of 3. Obviously we need a 3 and a 5. I guess I would ask everyone out there what the perceive as a salary for a legitimate starting 5 in the NBA.

It was obvious we lost that game last night because of interior defense and rebounding.

I think Millsap is versatile enough to play a lot of 3. Obviously we need a 3 and a 5. I guess I would ask everyone out there what the perceive as a salary for a legitimate starting 5 in the NBA. It was obvious we lost that game last night because of interior defense and rebounding.

completely agree about lack of rebounding/interior defense and offense.

Completely agree with this post! You may think I'm crazy but I would like to see milsap play the 3 if we were able to get Asik. I know milsap has the BBIQ and the talent to play the play at SF. Our front court would be top 10 talent if that were to happen and in my opinion championship material in the front court.....we them could shift our focus strictly to our small back court and at least then we will only have one position that's a problem!...it's a problem but a good one to have.So if you don't mind let me break down my thoughts like this. In TODAYS NBA milsap, horford, and asik are championship pieces! Here's why:Milsap:High BBIQ, can spread the floor, has good post moves, knows how to use his body to defend with his larger frame in the post and on the perimeter, very consistent player, ok rebounder at pf but great rebounder at SF more than likely, great pick and pop and pick and roll player, has the heart and hustle every gameHorford:High BBIQ, very good rebounder and more than likely great rebounder with a guy like asik around, very consistent, solid defender at center and probably very good defender at pf, great mid range shot, good at pick and pop, has the heart and hustle in every game.Asik:Good BBIQ,outstanding rebounder, can give you 10 points a game so a few baskets in the paint here and there, large frame to box out to help other players grab boards like milsap and horford, has heart and hustle nearly every game, good rim protector and will basically lock down the paint especially with horfords presence there with him.So many of you may think I'm over valuing this possible group of players but everything I'm saying is true about each player. Now I don't think they would be a championship team due to the fact that I don't see Teague as a championship piece right now but again this is my opinion. I believe having a front court like this can give us opportunity to make a run at a championship really soon as long as we could somehow acquire a good SG.What JTB wants to happen in a possible realistic situation:-sign asik and hold on to milsap and horford-play all 3 in out front court (SF-milsap,PF-horford,C-asik)-hope Brooklyn continues to lose and use that draft pick to sign Marcus smart or Dante Exum-pray Teague can develop a killer instinct

Why does hawksquawk thinks every undersized PF can just come in and play SF with no problem?

He's played some SF in the past and he's quick enough to handle it. I see that as far more realistic than him coming off the bench. At this point I'm hoping we can move Lou to get Asik.

He's played some SF in the past and he's quick enough to handle it. I see that as far more realistic than him coming off the bench. At this point I'm hoping we can move Lou to get Asik.

Exactly I don't get how fans don't think milsap can handle the SF position. It's pretty obvious he can play SF. If we can trade Lou + brand + future 2nd round draft to get Asik we will be well on our way to actually compete against high caliber teams with a good starting 5 with asik in the lineup and the high draft pick from Brooklyn.Then ferry can focus on the bench.

• Premium Member

Go to a jazz board and ask them about Millsap at the 3. He was not good there at all. IMO if we trade for Asik then this offseason we either flip Horford or Millsap for a 3 or 2.

So if we trade for Asik, then it's down to Horf or Millsap in your opinion. What would you do?

Go to a jazz board and ask them about Millsap at the 3. He was not good there at all. IMO if we trade for Asik then this offseason we either flip Horford or Millsap for a 3 or 2.

It's all about the system your in...the jazz weren't a great team. Milsap wasn't hitting a good percentage on the 3 like he is on the hawks and again this is a different system. Why should we go by what jazz fans say? Hawks fans are hilarious...if horford were on the jazz and a jazz fan asked if he could play center the majority of posters on these boards would say no but yet this man has been to two all star games and has held his own at the center position very well.I mean let's be real can josh smith play pf?...the majority of you will say yes but I would say hell no!..smiths too damn ignorant to play pf because his mindset is to be a point guard. Smith is a bench player at best but the highlight blocks and dunks blind too many nba fans.It's pretty sad that lebron is even given the thought that he can play center in this league but our fans just don't think it's possible for sap to play SF.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, for this season, seeing that I'm an opportunist, I take a shot at Afflalo. I give Orlando Dennis if they want Dennis and a First Protected (2015 draft). Then we see how good the combination of: Asik, Sap, Korver, AA, and JT are. This is how you prepare to evaluate your next move. If we fail because of Sap, we trade Sap in the offseason. IF we succeed with this team, we look into a trade of Horf for a player who could make Korver an off the bench shooter. We bring in Bebe and let him split time with Asik, we replace the loss of Dennis with a vet BU PG, and we move from there.

• Premium Member

So if we trade for Asik, then it's down to Horf or Millsap in your opinion.What would you do?

I'm worried about Horford's long term health but that worry would be negated a good deal if he was no longer playing center. I'd rather keep Horford and deal Millsap who is enjoying a career year. if they really do feel Milsap could defend the three position then a frontline of Asik, Horford and Millsap would be fun to watch. We'd have perhaps the biggest frontline in the NBA.

Go to a Hawks board and they'll tell you player x is no good. The thoughts of fans on message boards mean very little as far as swaying my opinion.

• Premium Member

Go to a Hawks board and they'll tell you player x is no good. The thoughts of fans on message boards mean very little as far as swaying my opinion.

Eh, to each their own. I respect intelligent opinions from informed fans. The overwhelming majority of Jazz fans hated Millsap at the three when they experimented with him there.

Eh, to each their own. I respect intelligent opinions from informed fans. The overwhelming majority of Jazz fans hated Millsap at the three when they experimented with him there.

Well that's ridiculous as he barely played there. I think he had 3% of their SF minutes. If that's enough to generate hate for it then I rest my case about fans opinions.

• Premium Member

Well that's ridiculous as he barely played there. I think he had 3% of their SF minutes. If that's enough to generate hate for it then I rest my case about fans opinions.

If it was that bad then why would they have played him more minutes if it wasn't working? If anything that shows the Jazz coaches saw it wasn't working either which lends more credence to what they said.