• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who the heck is James Nunally?

Anyone have an answer off the top of their head. Who is the best player in the NBA who spent development time in the D-League (not rehab)? I have no idea.

Off the top - Danny Green - 2nd round pick by Cleveland, then waived, picked up by SA, then waived, went to DLeague, back to SA - now there starting SG.

• Moderators

Signing him to a 10-day contract:

http://soaringdownsouth.com/2014/01/10/atlanta-hawks-reportedly-likely-sign-james-nunnally-10-day-contract/

An interesting recent interview w/ Nunnally:

Following a strong showing at the NBA D-League Showcase this week, Bakersfield Jam swingman James Nunnally will reportedly sign a ten-day contract with the affiliated Atlanta Hawks.

Such a promotion has been a long time coming for Nunnally, now in his second minor league season. A year ago Saturday marks the first time RidiculousUpside.com spoke with the swingman. At last year's Showcase, Nunnally was a young gun just hungry for a shot. Determined to earn more minutes, he compared his skill set to that of Bruce Bowen.

As the season progressed, Nunnally slowly but surely received those minutes he desired, and went on to, in turn, deserve as well. Playing his way further into the lineup as a sixth man, the swingman's prowess from long range earned him more comparisons to another Spurs player. But this time, it was current San Antonio sharpshooter and fellow D-League alumni Danny Green.

After finally breaking onto the scene with a string of of strong postseason outings last season, Nunnally has since burst out like a rocket on his quest to becoming a name first on the minds of NBA executives when considering players worthy of a potential call-up.

Following a NBA Summer League stint with the Miami Heat and training camp with the Jam-affiliated Phoenix Suns, Nunnally returned to the D-League. Like many prospects, Nunnally faced the questions many up and comers are often met with. After experiencing a bit of success, does one venture overseas and cash in on a more lucrative contract? Or better yet, or does one stick around in the minor league, hoping that NBA call-up instead subsequently follows soon after?

Needless to say, Nunnally's decision to return to Bakersfield has paid off, as he was quickly able to emerge as a bit of a D-League star.

RidiculousUpside.com caught up with the swingman on the heels of his solid Showcase (he averaged 19.5 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists, and shot 50% from deep) once again.

Nunnally reflected upon the progress he's made from year one to year two, saying, "My second season is going a lot better. My first season in the D-League was probably one of the best ones, with regard to the team I was a part of. We had a great group of guys and won a lot of games. Those were NBA caliber guys, guys who were leaders. They helped us win a lot of guys, and I had a small role on the team. But everyone played their role well. That was a good experience just because I was around those guys."

He added, "The second year has been all good. We have a different group of guys, but they're all hungry. We all want to prove ourselves, just like I came in last year. We have guys like that. These guys are willing to learn and get better."

Clearly, this season has seen Nunnally emerge as a leading man in the Jam's offense. It's a role he's fully been able to embrace and thrive in. The swingman asserted, "I'm comfortable. It's just basketball to me, but I'm learning new things and doing what I can do to help the team, showing that I help this squad or any other team that will want me. I'm just learning. It's good to learn on the go and play well."

Of course, Bakersfield was confident in Nunnally's abilities enough to look to him to carry the scoring load, but what's been the difference in the young gun's own increased comfort level? He added, "I'm just been working hard. I was in the gym all summer and took everything that I learned last season [in Bakersfield] with me. I learned even more with Miami in Summer League, and Phoenix in training camp. The game is coming a lot easier to me now. Things have slowed down. I kind of know what's going to happen and what to expect. That's been the difference for me."

Nunnally joked that although he was still the youngest player on the Jam in age, he didn't mind lending a helping hand to those other prospects who are currently in their first D-League season. The fact of the matter is that being a pro in your second D-League season makes you a bit of a veteran, so Nunnually is undoutedly able to relate to those others who may look to him as a leader.

With reports out that Nunnally is now poised to join the Hawks, he'll ironically enough, enter into a situation where he's looked at as a youngster once again. He'll be the one leaning on veterans for guidance. Still, he appeared confident in what he could do to help a team, adding he has plenty to offer.

Nunnally concluded by saying, "We all know I can shoot, but I don't want to be labeled as just a shooter. I'm pretty good in a lot of areas on the floor. I have a high basketball IQ. I'm just a winner, man! I know what it takes to win and I can just adapt to any situation. I feel as though I can help any team."

If he is Danny Green, then dumping Cartier makes sense.

http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2014/1/10/5295448/an-interview-with-an-nba-call-up-james-nunnally-atlanta-hawks-d-league

• Like 1

I said the other day in this thread when I saw his video that he's got that Danny Green effortless shot. I'm not gonna put those types of expectations on him but Ferry does have a way of finding gems.

Off the top - Danny Green - 2nd round pick by Cleveland, then waived, picked up by SA, then waived, went to DLeague, back to SA - now there starting SG.

Gerald Green has arguably been better this year, although I'd rather have Danny myself.

I said the other day in this thread when I saw his video that he's got that Danny Green effortless shot. I'm not gonna put those types of expectations on him but Ferry does have a way of finding gems. Gerald Green has arguably been better this year, although I'd rather have Danny myself.

I give the nod to Danny - STARTING SG on a contender.

Just from watching the Jam games that Dennis played Nunally has a good stroke. When he's hot he can make it rain but when he's cold it's not pretty. I remember more hot than cold though. Dennis always liked to find him wide open after driving to the paint. He's good at losing his man to get 3pt shots. Hard to say defensively. The Jam as a team weren't very good at it so I can't really judge him.

I give the nod to Danny - STARTING SG on a contender.

Actually he hasn't been starting nearly as much lately and his play has been way down. Belinelli has stolen a lot of his minutes and has outproduced him in many ways. I definitely like Danny over Gerald, but Gerald has arguably been the Suns best player for a lot of the season.

• Moderators

Can he defend like Danny Green?

He reminds me of DMC w/ a more consistent 3pt shot and slashing ability. I think DMC's defense is better and Nun's the better scorer, but they both have great work ethics. He has great hands and is a good defender, but he hasn't gone up against NBA talent yet so we'll see. I would say that he could end up being the second best defender on the team behind DMC. Definitely a starting 2 guard possibility, but I don't want to get ahead of myself on that. He still has to prove himself and it is only a 10-day contract. Hope this kid pans out cause he could be a great pick up for us.

• Premium Member

I hope this d-leaguer lives up to the hype on this board, if he does he will make the all rookie team. Good Lord, its the Schröder thread all over again. There is a reason he is in the d-league

Edited by Vol4ever

• Moderators

~lw3

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Per rotoworld

The Hawks are expected to give James Nunnally a 10-day contract after he impressed in the annual D-League Showcase.

He played great defense in Reno, and showed an ever-improving three-point stroke by hitting 8-of-14 treys, something that scouts seemed to have liked. The 6'7" small forward from UC Santa Barbara has averaged 18.2 points and 4.4 rebounds while playing for the Bakersfield Jam, but is unlikely to be a fantasy factor for the Hawks.

Per rotoworld

The Hawks are expected to give James Nunnally a 10-day contract after he impressed in the annual D-League Showcase.

He played great defense in Reno,

If this can translate to the NBA - would be really nice.

He has been officially signed to the 10-day contract and will wear #2.