• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Rockets

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Happy Schadenfriday!

Your Atlanta Hawks are cleared for liftoff against the Houston Rockets tonight at the Highlight Factory (7:30 PM Eastern, SportSouth, CSN Houston). If not for that meddling Andre Iguodala, the Hawks (19-17) would be 8-0 on Fridays coming into tonight’s contest.

If you’re not thrilled about the prospect of seeing the Hawks face the imposing Dwight Howard tonight, know that the feeling is pretty mutual. “I am from Atlanta, and I love the city, but I hate playing the Hawks,” Howard admitted to the Houston Chronicle. For our sake, at least his girlfriend won’t be in the stands rocking a “Hawk Hater” camo shirt tonight. And for his sake, he won’t have old foes Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins trading elbows with him in the paint, either.

The Hawks have been keeping their enemies closer for quite awhile now. The last time they lost by more than ten points in an NBA game was back on November 27, when the Rockets ran away with a 29-point victory at Toyota Center without the services of leading scorer James Harden (24.9 PPG, 5th in NBA; three straight games with 37+ points) and Jeremy Lin (injured late in the first quarter) over Al Horford and the Hawks. Now Horford’s gone, while Harden and Lin are back. So, naturally, this will be another squeaker for the Hawks, right?

Well, the Hawks were also without a few key players in that game, namely Kyle Korver, Shelvin Mack, and Lou Williams. Gustavo Ayón was still getting more minutes than Elton Brand, and Pero Antić was a mere foreigner-fan magnet. One could argue Jeff Teague was a virtual DNP, too (0-for-5 shooting, 4 points, 6 assists in 25 minutes) while Dennis Schröder continued his scattershot play coming off the bench.

With Lin sidelined and Patrick Beverley struggling to get Houston’s offense going, Head Coach Kevin McHale relied on the reserve backcourt of Francisco Garcia and Aaron Brooks (21 points each, most either has had since then) against the Hawks’ depleted set of guards, which included John Jenkins (13 of Atlanta’s season-low 84 points).

Houston (23-13) also got what, at that time, we did not know would be a season high 10 points from Omer Asik, allowing McHale to continue resting Howard. Not long after it became obvious that Asik’s hands-of-stone rendered him less than complementary with the Rockets’ newest free agent prize, his Bruised Thigh of Mystery has kept him out of every contest since December 2, around the time his agent and his team agreed they’re better off seeing other people.

Asik’s deliberate disappearance has cleared the way for second-year forward Terrence Jones (11.5 PPG, 7.9 RPG as a starter) to take over the PF spot full-time. Jones has helped make up for the loss of Asik defensively, but he is just a touch too satisfied with his perimeter shooting (1.6 three-point attempts per game, 29.6 3FG%) while his free throw shooting (59.4 FT%) has him looking like nearly as much a hackable target as Howard (54.3 FT%).

With Kobe out of action in Tinseltown, the Rocket offense (105.8 PPG, 3rd in NBA) has become the most predictable in the NBA, yet not many can stop it. They loft of league-leading 26.5 threes per game despite shooting just 34.2 3FG% (25th in NBA). Thanks to Harden and Howard bullying around in the paint, Houston is also granted a league-leading 31.6 free throws per contest despite shooting 69.2%, next to last in the league. In a recent win over the Grizzlies, Harden shot just 2-for-9 (1-for-5 on threes) but still managed 27 points, on the strength of an uncanny 29 free throw attempts.

Needless to say, there is an ample amount of rim clanks and “Short!” yelps in Rocket games, and it will be of paramount importance for the Hawks to provide seal-tight team rebounding on the defensive end to remain competitive tonight. On Wednesday, eight of the nine Pacers snared at least one offensive board around Antić and the Hawks’ frontline.

Houston players do seem to know their hot spots inside the arc (53.9 2FG%, 2nd in NBA), even though they take the fewest 2-pointers in the league. Led by the tremendously cost-efficient Chandler Parsons (59.1 FG%, 17.2 PPG on $926,500 salary), eight of Houston’s nine regulars are shooting above 50% within the two-point area.

There is so much Heroball among Harden and Lin, however (20.0 team APG, 25th in NBA), that their opponents are best advised to let the duo wear out the clock and settle for long-range bombs, keeping them from getting their teammates going. Houston’s record is just 6-11 when the team manages fewer than 65 two-point shots in regulation, 17-2 otherwise. DeMarre Carroll and Teague will have instrumental roles in keeping Harden and Lin from making hay out of their dribble penetration.

Beverley remains out of commission with a broken hand, while Parsons (hammy strain/knee hyperextension) and center Greg Smith (persistent knee sprain) are doubtful to participate this evening. Smith’s unavailability may finally free up seven-footer Donatas Motiejunas from McHale’s doghouse. Donuts has been glazing over his lack of playing time and is the latest to seek a deal out of town, sharing the same agent as Asik. If he plays, he’ll need to show some improvement on the defensive end.

The Rockets logo is really ancient Far Eastern calligraphy, a symbol for “Our center needs a life raft.” Dwight is getting precious little help on defense (102.4 opponent points per game for Houston, 24th in NBA), aside from Jones, as Lin and Harden are seemingly far too content to allow guards to blow past them into the teeth (tooth?) of the Houston interior. The offensive bounce-back for Jeff Teague (37.3 FG%, 1-for-the year of 2014 on threes) can begin against the defensively lackadaisical Lin, getting runners in the lane and opening up opportunities for Teague’s forwards to go after putbacks and post passes.

The Hawks, of course, live-and-die by the three-pointer (10-for-23 in their surprising win versus the Pacers), which may not be good news for Houston if they fail to patrol the perimeter well. Houston is 2-9 when their opponents rack up 10 or more treys in a game, 21-4 otherwise.

When Atlanta’s exploiting their perimeter shooting threats, there is good potential for some high-low action between Pero Antić and Millsap, or even Korver and Millsap, particularly if Korver/Antić can draw Jones or Garcia out of the paint to help out Ronnie Brewer. Dump or lob the ball inside, and make Howard defend Millsap (24.1 FG% last four games) from behind.

When Dwight is not in the game, it would be a good time to get Mike Scott in. Scott (12.0 PPG, 51.5 FG% last four games) is beginning to relish his role as a top option off the bench, and could provide a spark whenever the Atlanta offense gets stagnant.

Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article

• Like 4

I'm hoping for the same defensive intensity like we saw against the Pacers.I'm hoping Antić's shot is falling to pull D12 out of the paint do Teague and Millsap can get in the paint.I'm hoping that Harden does not get to the free throw line 26 times tonight.

• Moderators

I'm hoping for the same defensive intensity like we saw against the Pacers.I'm hoping Antić's shot is falling to pull D12 out of the paint do Teague and Millsap can get in the paint.I'm hoping that Harden does not get to the free throw line 26 times tonight.

It'll be interesting to see if Harden is willing to chase Korver around or will they put someone else on Korver?

• Premium Member

^This. Think DMC will be on Harden? I think DMC has the tools to really make him frustrated if the refs call it somewhat fairer (since we are in Atlanta maybe they will be). Interesting stat - if we can make 10 3s - (we are certainly capable) the Rockets have a very poor record something like 2-9. I think Bench especially Mike, Mack and Lou need to step up and knock down some 3s.

• Premium Member

Yep Garcia there is no way Houston is going to put Harden on Korver he would light them up because the guy doesn't guard anybody he just watches the ball and waits to play offense on every defensive possession.

Can Garcia keep Kyle from 5 or 6 clean looks tonight? I doubt it. Keep Jimmy off the line and Dumbazz off the boards (much easier said than done of course) and we should have a chance. Haven't they beat the Spurs twice or something though? I know they blew them out once, but it had to be an anomaly. They aren't equipped to chase the ball and help at all. I don't feel good about tonight: they have a pure scorer, we don't. Hell, Parsons is on par with our best in Sap. Still, Let's Go.

Edited by benhillboy

I worry about the Rockets crushing us with their offensive rebounding and I worry about Harden getting FT attempts. It would be great to see us steal one tonight but I'm not overly optimistic about our chances.Great informative game preview as always Letha!

• Like 2

Following the Hawks win over the Pacers Wednesday, several players pointed to a film session the previous day to help get back on track following a three-game losing streak.

“It was just a normal film session," Budenholzer said. "There were some areas where we needed to clean up a little bit – both sides of the ball defensively, offensively. Also, reinforce a lot of the things we were doing (well). Lots of times we get caught up in winning and losing, and obviously it’s important, but we’ve been doing some things well also. We believe in teaching also and confirming the things we want to do well.”

We talk about we want to be the team that makes the less mistakes, play smarter and smarter. Our guys are great about taking things from the practice court and film room and applying them.”

Also of note:

* Following the news that there is a "good possibility" the Hawks will sign James Nunnally, Cartier Martin signed a 10-day contract with the Bulls Friday.

* I asked Budenholzer about Gustavo Ayón, who has not played in the past four games. The coach said that Ayón has been healthy and available.

* The Hawks may still be thinking of a big man at some point between now and the Feb. 20 trade deadline. Especially when you consider Budenholzer's offensive philosophy that he spoke of today.

“The holy grail is to score in the rim and at the paint and them spread them out and make 3’s if they take that away,” he said.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/atlanta-hawks/2014/jan/10/game-thread-normal-film-session-or-not/

• Moderators
  • Like 1