• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If one star would come to Atlanta then......

JTB

Milsap will not command some pie in the sky 'big' deal. He will not get more than Al.I can see Ferry offering him for around the same 9 mil but a longer contract or more money on another 2 year deal.That is his market value.

That seems low to me. I think he'll look for at least 3 years and if you look at some of last years FA's (J Smith 4@$54M) Have to think Sap will get better than 2@18; unless his game falls off.If I think about keeping him, I'm guessing about 3@33 to keep him.

• Premium Member

I don't disagree with anything here other than to say neither the Hawks back then nor the Sonics had players like Horford, Millsap or Teague in their primes when they blew it up. That's my issue here is I cannot stand behind throwing those players away and praying that draft picks work out.

I would have an issue IF Horf, Sap and Teague were up and comers. But those guys are pretty much what they are at this point. We pretty much know there ceiling and it isn't championship level. So, we could hang on to those guys, but most likely at best, we'd keep running into the same problem as the previous "core". Not good enough to challenge the elite and not bad enough to pick where the difference makers can be had. Edited by Jody23

I like to look back on each year and ask how the moves made helped to move the team closer to a title. So, how will re-signing Sap to a multi-year deal move us closer to a title? Or will that just keep us the samr?

There is NO way to tell - we have no idea who will be on our team when Sap's contract expires - we will have gone through 2 drafts as well.

• Premium Member

There is NO way to tell - we have no idea who will be on our team when Sap's contract expires - we will have gone through 2 drafts as well.

No, you should be able to see a pattern of moves that suggest a certain direction. With Rick Sund, we saw the pattern each year was to keep us competitive and hope for the best. As Ferry's tenure progresses, we'll see the direction that his moves are building to.

No, you should be able to see a pattern of moves that suggest a certain direction. With Rick Sund, we saw the pattern each year was to keep us competitive and hope for the best. As Ferry's tenure progresses, we'll see the direction that his moves are building to.

No - during Sunds time We had a group of younger players supplemented by a couple of veterans who had long term contracts coming into their own that we hoped would grow and become something. This team is nothing like that.

I would have an issue IF Horf, Sap and Teague were up and comers. But those guys are pretty much what they are at this point. We pretty much know there ceiling and it isn't championship level. So, we could hang on to those guys, but most likely at best, we'd keep running into the same problem as the previous "core". Not good enough to challenge the elite and not bad enough to pick where the difference makers can be had.

I would argue this point and say that any of those guys could be quality starters on a championship team.

I would argue this point and say that any of those guys could be quality starters on a championship team.

Yeah, if you put them with Durant or Lebron. Since those guys aren't coming, you have to find a way to BEAT them.Our team, at full strength was maybe a top ten team in the leagur this year. The difference between #1 and #10 is #1 wins, most of the time, and #10 loses ALL the time.I hope Ferry is here with a plan to BEAT #1. I hope he's not sitting there playing mediocre, standardized ball. PLaying out the season with a #10 team is a failure. The only time it's acceptable is when you have a plan to take them down. Oh, the plan should at least be viable.Being a fan of anything else is ...sad
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I don't see how anyone can actually say a core of Horford, Millsap and Teague is a team that can compete for a title. You need at least one superstar to win a title and none of those guys are superstars.

Precisely. With Teague making 8 million per, Horf getting 12 million per and Sap getting a raise on the 9 million per if he is reupped as many desire, you'll basically be relying on those three, bargain priced free agents and mid to late first round picks to compete for a title. I don't see that working either.
  • Like 1

Precisely. With Teague making 8 million per, Horf getting 12 million per and Sap getting a raise on the 9 million per if he is reupped as many desire, you'll basically be relying on those three, bargain priced free agents and mid to late first round picks to compete for a title. I don't see that working either.

How are you basically relying on that when those 3 are only making 29 million combined? That's half of the salary cap and still leaves you room for a $20 million player.

• Premium Member

How are you basically relying on that when those 3 are only making 29 million combined? That's half of the salary cap and still leaves you room for a $20 million player.

I forgot to include Korver at 6 million per and Lou at 5 I think? So how much would that leave us to fill out the roster?

I forgot to include Korver at 6 million per and Lou at 5 I think? So how much would that leave us to fill out the roster?

You can use those salaries to acquire better players so that salary folds into it. Maybe you keep Korver but definitely not Lou and Brand who are the most useful salaries we could move while not hurting the team too much.

I think our guy is shaping up. Melo. I know I know, selfish, ball hog, doesn't win in the playoffs. But, have you listened to him lately? Woody has broken this guy. I think it's like the addict who is allowed to overdose. Woody has given him the keys to do whatever he wants and now he is craving structure. He would welcome this Spurs type system. Get him with this unselfish group and I think he would blossom. The question is how to make it happen. If we could take Chandler off their hands or God forbid Amare it would be easy. But, would a Milsap/Horf/Antić/Melo/Teague team win? Could we keep Millsap if we got Melo?

I think our guy is shaping up. Melo. I know I know, selfish, ball hog, doesn't win in the playoffs. But, have you listened to him lately? Woody has broken this guy. I think it's like the addict who is allowed to overdose. Woody has given him the keys to do whatever he wants and now he is craving structure. He would welcome this Spurs type system. Get him with this unselfish group and I think he would blossom. The question is how to make it happen. If we could take Chandler off their hands or God forbid Amare it would be easy. But, would a Milsap/Horf/Antić/Melo/Teague team win? Could we keep Millsap if we got Melo?

Melo is a free agent next season - we can wait. If he wants to win, take less money and come on down.

• Premium Member

I can't say I dislike the idea of going after Melo if we are set on winning now. Question of course is could we get him in free agency because that is where it would have to happen.

Yeah, Ferry's phone must be ringing off the hook to get Brand or Lou. You have to start adding our firsts if you want to bring in anyone decent. GSW have been rumored to want to move Barnes; what would it take for us to get him? Brand / Lou / 2014 first? Let's say we get that deal and next year we haveBebe / MuscalaHorf / SapBarnes / CarrollKorver / JJJT / Schro or we keep the above core; sans Barnes trade and go for another decent FA; how good are we next year with these scenarios and does it put us in a position to improve in the future?

Yeah, Ferry's phone must be ringing off the hook to get Brand or Lou. You have to start adding our firsts if you want to bring in anyone decent. GSW have been rumored to want to move Barnes; what would it take for us to get him? Brand / Lou / 2014 first? Let's say we get that deal and next year we have Bebe / Muscala Horf / Sap Barnes / Carroll Korver / JJ JT / Schro or we keep the above core; sans Barnes trade and go for another decent FA; how good are we next year with these scenarios and does it put us in a position to improve in the future?

Barnes is making 2.9 mil, Brand and Lou combined is 9 mil.

I would take Barnes for a 2015 lottery protected pick and whatever else.