• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague vs. Mack

LamarHampton

I know it's very, very unlikely to happen, but watching this Heat game and the past several games has me wondering if we would be better with Teague coming off the bench? I actually really like Teague, but Mack has been playing solid ball lately while JT has been less than impressive. Mack can actually knock down 3s (where Teague has really been struggling), Shelvin is pretty darn consistent (anotherbig struggle of JT), he can drive, defend, and has a great assist/turnover ratio.I never thought I'd be saying it, but should we be starting Shelvin Mack?!?Could it be the catalyst for Jeff to get back to how he was playing at the beginning of the season?Is the likelihood that this happens anything greater than zero?

Like I said in the game thread - I don't think Coach Bud is ready to pull the plug on the Teague experiment, but what he will do is play Mack in the 4th and at end of games if Teague continues to struggle.

Wouldn't it be nice if Mack could develop into a George Hill type of asset that we can flip to get a quality starter like the Spurs did with Leonard.

That would be great. There are several guys on this team that could really help some of the top teams. I hope Ferry is able to extract some longer term solutions out of the upper tier teams over the next 5 to 6 weeks Edited by frosgrim

Wouldn't it be nice if Mack could develop into a George Hill type of asset that we can flip to get a quality starter like the Spurs did with Leonard.

oooh...that would be sweet. Hill was a 26th pick they flipped for #15 Leonard.

I would like to see Mack be given more mins to see how he handles everything. Teague has never been someone that hasn't handle competition very well. I think his time as the starter or the main PG might be nearing an end if Mack shows he can handle the extra mins. As for salary that might have work in the previous regime. I dont see it flying with this current regime.

Edited by Braves

I would like to see Mack be given more mins to see how he handles everything. Teague has never been someone that hasn't handle competition very well. I think his time as the starter or the main PG might be nearing an end if Mack shows he can handle the extra mins. As for salary that might have work in the previous regime. I dont see it flying with this current regime.

I was sort of thinking the same thing. Under Woody or Drew - no chance in hell. But with Bud coming from the Pop system makes me think he's likely to give the minutes to the man best suited for the job. He definitely rewards people for good play with more minutes. Antić hardly used to play at all; even before Horf went down Goose and Brand were ahead of him in the rotation. But Antić made that great inbounds pass to Korver and starting getting more and more PT. He used to always give minutes to the up-and-coming all natural, all seeing PG in Schröder. German Chocolate had a string of bad games and Mack played well and consistently and that was that.

Still, I understand that Teague got the big contract and would be mega pissed off for getting benched, so it's incredibly unlikely to happen right away, even though this has been going on for many games now. But if Teague has a several more nights like tonight (vs. Heat), I could maybe see it happen. It would probably just be several more games like tonight, where Teague starts, Teague sucks, Mack plays virtually the entire rest of the game. But if JT doesn't step it up, eventually Mack gets the start and the minutes.

Truthfully, I just want JT to get back to how he started this season. If he would play like that and we had Mack running and gunning like he is now, we'd be very solid at the 1. And that's what we need. But if JT keeps having these 2-10, 1-9 nights, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Edited by LamarHampton

• Premium Member

I like what Mack has been doing, but he won't ever be made the starter here even if he continues to outplay Teague. And it's because of the big contract that Teague got. Unlike Dennis, Teague will ALWAYS get an opportunity to play big minutes because of that contract, even after a series of games like yesterday.

Teague will always get the opportunity because it's still a young season - Bud will give him every opportunity to come out of his slump. You don't just throw your hands up and bench him - Bud has been doing a great job with player development, and he will continue to work through whatever is going on with Teague.

• Premium Member

Teague will always get the opportunity because it's still a young season - Bud will give him every opportunity to come out of his slump. You don't just throw your hands up and bench him - Bud has been doing a great job with player development, and he will continue to work through whatever is going on with Teague.

So when the season isn't young anymore and Teague is still struggling AND starting AND getting playing time, what will be the reason? I'm not promoting the idea that Teague be benched, and I think Bud is doing a great job. But the factor that is his contract can't be ignored as a reason why he will still get EVERY opportunity to play.

So when the season isn't young anymore and Teague is still struggling AND starting AND getting playing time, what will be the reason? I'm not promoting the idea that Teague be benched, and I think Bud is doing a great job. But the factor that is his contract can't be ignored as a reason why he will still get EVERY opportunity to play.

If the the end it doesn't work it doesn't work. Like I said previously - if Teague continues to struggle he will be on the bench in the 4th quarters and at end of games, particularly if we have a chance to win. That is when it matters most.

• Moderators

I've been one of the bigger Teague supporters around here but yeah he looked awful last night. Just be thankful we have Mack. The dude has been great this year. And his D wasn't bad at all against some bigger players. I don't know what's going on with Teague but he certainly doesn't looked as relaxed as Mack nor has comfortable trusting the offense. Still i think it's too soon to say he won't turn it around. He's had some huge games this year.

• Like 1