• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This board is the type of fan base the NBA should strive to create

IheartVolt

A very small minority worships superstars , if it is what fans want then why is the NBA #5 among sports in America?You cannot tell me baseball is more entertaining

From my limited knowledge of american football and baseball a single player in those sports can not dominate the game as one can in basketball.As for the fans the NBA is at fault as much as the sports culture.The NBA is just giving people what they want.

There is nothing true about what you say.. You go tell NFL gm's Payton Manning does not dominate , or Adreian Peterson
  • Like 2

A very small minority worships superstars , if it is what fans want then why is the NBA #5 among sports in America?You cannot tell me baseball is more entertaining

There is nothing true about what you say.. You go tell NFL gm's Payton Manning does not dominate , or Adreian Peterson

As I said I have a limited knowledge of american football and baseball for me is not really a sports.Why some sports are more popular than others I really can't answer because there a million reasons and as much factors.There are plenty of interesting sports out there that don't get a fraction of the attention that they deserve.

You can blame the NBA for the way that they have organized the league and the game but the teams and the fans are as much at fault.

• Moderators

I totally agree with him. A single player cannot dominate in the NFL like Lebron can in the NBA.

When Cleveland lost Lebron, they went into the tank.

When Indy lost Manning, they went to the playoffs.

Before Manning arrived, Denver was a playoff team with Tebow at QB. He wasn't starting with an empty cupboard.

AP is a great example. When was the last time his team won anything of any consequence even with his incredible play? By my count, 2009 was the last time they won a playoff game. For his career, Minnesota is 54-57 (with one tie).

You couldn't have proved this point any better than using AP as an example. An NBA superstar like Lebron takes a team into the playoffs basically every year and can take a mediocre supporting cast to the Conference and/or NBA finals.

• Like 2

I totally agree with him. A single player cannot dominate in the NFL like Lebron can in the NBA.

When Cleveland lost Lebron, they went into the tank.

When Indy lost Manning, they went to the playoffs.

Before Manning arrived, Denver was a playoff team with Tebow at QB. He wasn't starting with an empty cupboard.

AP is a great example. When was the last time his team won anything of any consequence even with his incredible play? By my count, 2009 was the last time they won a playoff game. For his career, Minnesota is 54-57 (with one tie).

You couldn't have proved this point any better than using AP as an example. An NBA superstar like Lebron takes a team into the playoffs basically every year and can take a mediocre supporting cast to the Conference and/or NBA finals.

But that's Lebron. Look at Michael Jordan. He retired when the Bulls won their 3rd title and won 56 games. A year later, 2nd round and they won 54 games.

Lebron is an anomaly. He can single handedly win 50 games with role players alone.

Edited by nbasupes40retired

I totally agree with him. A single player cannot dominate in the NFL like Lebron can in the NBA. When Cleveland lost Lebron, they went into the tank. When Indy lost Manning, they went to the playoffs. Before Manning arrived, Denver was a playoff team with Tebow at QB. He wasn't starting with an empty cupboard. AP is a great example. When was the last time his team won anything of any consequence even with his incredible play? By my count, 2009 was the last time they won a playoff game. For his career, Minnesota is 54-57 (with one tie). You couldn't have proved this point any better than using AP as an example. An NBA superstar like Lebron takes a team into the playoffs basically every year and can take a mediocre supporting cast to the Conference and/or NBA finals.

maybe but AP still can dominate and completely take over a game. He may not have won the big one but he still can dominate a game.Now we can cherry pick and use Tom Brady who has won plenty while dominating in games..smh

Fans don't like teams in Basketball as much as players unless a player plays for a popular team like Boston or LAL

Which reinforces my point that the NBA has developed a backassward and miserable fanbase
  • Like 1

I totally agree with him. A single player cannot dominate in the NFL like Lebron can in the NBA. When Cleveland lost Lebron, they went into the tank. When Indy lost Manning, they went to the playoffs. Before Manning arrived, Denver was a playoff team with Tebow at QB. He wasn't starting with an empty cupboard.

Indy won 2 games while Peyton sat out then they drafted a sure fire franchise QB. In contrast, New England won 11 with Cassell in place of Brady. Off topic, but I'm a Peyton Fanatic. Feel free to hate me, we're a snobby insufferable bunch I know.But I get your point and I'm not too upset with the star-driven approach in the NBA. In baseball, a phenomenal hitter is featured in only a fraction of the total game. QBs hand the ball off a lot and take the least amount of contact during a game besides kicking team players. The Big Uglies in the trenches are the real stars, but that doesn't sell jerseys and pizzas. In basketball, a guy like Melo can take as many shots and draw the attention as much as he likes. You can argue about eras and hand checking and all that jazz until you're blue in the face, fact is the individual talent level today in the league is off the charts. LeBron went through an unprecedented run during that streak last year, swept MVP, Finals, and Gold, and he's almost an after-thought now with his team's struggles. Curry had his buzz earlier with the never-before-seen shooting, now Durant has almost come and one-upped him a month later. As an adult fan, we know full well teams and franchises are what make the game what it is, but every now and then you have to feel like a kid and be in awe of the next level these guys are taking it to. We got Bigs handling like guards, guards blocking shots, centers facilitating offense, point forwards, range-less assassins, fully ambidextrous players of all sizes, whatever Kevin Love is, Anthony Davis' seemingly limitless ceiling, and Harden's unearthly efficiency. I even see the mid-range game coming back after a brief hiatus. We like to believe there are other ways to get it done, but the proof is in the pudding: there's only been 2 teams I can think of, even before my birth, who won without a superstar. That late 70's Sonics team and 2000's Pistons team could give you the blueprint and it still wouldn't work without "that guy." But I watch so much basketball I'm content with my team not having one, just yet. The style they play is totally satisfactory to me, win or lose. I see teams now with 4 guys standing around, "creating space" and I just shake my head. Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

Not to be a smart ass but the reason one player can dominate in the nba team and take a team from crap to great is really just math. There are only 5 players on the floor and a superstar is on the floor for 80% of the game. A pro quarterback is maybe involved in 50% of the game and is entirely dependent on 10 other guys. Baseball players? 4 at bats out of 40 and a handful of defensive plays a game. Even hockey which is most like basketball runs 3 or 4 different lines. A superstar might be on the ice 50% of the game. Maybe.

• Like 2

maybe but AP still can dominate and completely take over a game. He may not have won the big one but he still can dominate a game.Now we can cherry pick and use Tom Brady who has won plenty while dominating in games..smh

Then why is one of the guys who people would most like to see in a super bowl? He is great, but he has been on a lot of losing teams with great numbers. Barry Sanders is another example. You need the whole team in the NFL.

Then why is one of the guys who people would most like to see in a super bowl? He is great, but he has been on a lot of losing teams with great numbers. Barry Sanders is another example. You need the whole team in the NFL.

Are you suggesting Nique was not an dominate player? What about Patrick Ewing? Wilt Chamberlin?Oh is Carmelo not considered a dominating superstar? What about David Robinson who did not get his championship till Duncan was drafted? You have Clyde Drexler who was a superstar in his time with no titles.. I can go on to prove a point thatit takes a team in the NBA as well.. Chris Paul? Karl Malone? John Stockton? ALLEN Iverson? You see where it starts to conflict with the whole 1 man can get it done philosophy

Not to be a smart ass but the reason one player can dominate in the nba team and take a team from crap to great is really just math. There are only 5 players on the floor and a superstar is on the floor for 80% of the game. A pro quarterback is maybe involved in 50% of the game and is entirely dependent on 10 other guys. Baseball players? 4 at bats out of 40 and a handful of defensive plays a game. Even hockey which is most like basketball runs 3 or 4 different lines. A superstar might be on the ice 50% of the game. Maybe.

THIS. It's not smart ass, it's truth.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just dont want the nba the WWF of basketball. If there are only 5 players on each team and there are 3 refs on the floor there is no reason to miss calls or make calls up just because 1 of the 5 or 2 of 5 is superstars and the rest are not.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1