• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For those who missed it: DF on Tanking and this years plan

HawkItus

http://cbsatlanta.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/hawks-talk-with-danny-ferry-on-the-rick-jamie-show-3-18.mp3

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/03/18/hawks-talk-with-gm-danny-ferry-12/

I think this is the best you are going to get for the ones who keep saying what is he thinking.

Edited by Dolfan23
Added direct play to the topic
  • Like 4

Nice feed. Nothing candid or controversial, but it was interesting when he pointed out so many teams in our conference are tanking. "Watering down the tank" if you will, and how he saw the relatively easy road to contention this year with a healthy, young, cheap squad.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I was wondering if the Hawks were actually tanking or not. There's our answer. I agree with Ferry that teams that tank to hit rock bottom usually stay there for years. And there is no guarantee that this draft will be as great as we anticipate. Rumor is that Jabari wants to stay another year at Duke. Randle hasn't been impressive and really it's the mid-1st to early-2nd round that is the most interesting about this draft.My point is that teams that are mediocre usually stay mediocre too. You get mediocre win totals which lead to mediocre playoff showings which leads to mediocre picks in the draft. The middle is beige and is the worse place to be as Kiki said. Seems Danny feels strong enough about Atlanta and getting free agents that he'd rather reload than rebuild. Hope your right Ferry.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if the Hawks were actually tanking or not. There's our answer. I agree with Ferry that teams that tank to hit rock bottom usually stay there for years. And there is no guarantee that this draft will be as great as we anticipate. Rumor is that Jabari wants to stay another year at Duke. Randle hasn't been impressive and really it's the mid-1st to early-2nd round that is the most interesting about this draft.My point is that teams that are mediocre usually stay mediocre too. You get mediocre win totals which lead to mediocre playoff showings which leads to mediocre picks in the draft. The middle is beige and is the worse place to be as Kiki said. Seems Danny feels strong enough about Atlanta and getting free agents that he'd rather reload than rebuild. Hope your right Ferry.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no doubt that Ferry believes that he can sign big name free agents. His ego is really huge.

Welp, here comes more mediocrity and long term stagnation. Can't wait Posted Image

I have no doubt that Ferry believes that he can sign big name free agents. His ego is really huge.

I'd argue it's his delusion more than anything but that's just me.

Thank god. I mean there's basically two kinds of free agents right? The kind like Dwight who already know what they are doing well in advance and the kind who you can target and convince to come. The last thing I want is someone who has no confidence in what he's doing trying to lure free agents. Look at Millsap. While maybe not the definition of a big time free agent, Ferry wanted him, made a plan and got him. Quickly, easily, and at a great price. Kyle Korver didn't even want to come here to begin with but re-ups with the team that only has 3 players under contract and just got bounced in the first round. Why? Because Ferry sold him on the plan. Brand, a guy who is still very capable as we've seen should be chasing rings but signs here because he believes in what Ferry is doing. You could say he didn't have other offers but I don't know if that's true. The point is I think we can attract talent now. Attracting an elite free agent is really hard of course and 29 teams are going to lose that battle. But nothing is going to help our case more than turning some heads in the playoffs.

agreed

Thank god. I mean there's basically two kinds of free agents right? The kind like Dwight who already know what they are doing well in advance and the kind who you can target and convince to come. The last thing I want is someone who has no confidence in what he's doing trying to lure free agents.

Look at Millsap. While maybe not the definition of a big time free agent, Ferry wanted him, made a plan and got him. Quickly, easily, and at a great price.

Kyle Korver didn't even want to come here to begin with but re-ups with the team that only has 3 players under contract and just got bounced in the first round. Why? Because Ferry sold him on the plan.

Brand, a guy who is still very capable as we've seen should be chasing rings but signs here because he believes in what Ferry is doing. You could say he didn't have other offers but I don't know if that's true.

The point is I think we can attract talent now. Attracting an elite free agent is really hard of course and 29 teams are going to lose that battle. But nothing is going to help our case more than turning some heads in the playoffs.

What we have seen is that stars want to play with other stars. They don't give a crap about Korver's and a 34 year old Brand.

• Like 1

The point is I think we can attract talent now. Attracting an elite free agent is really hard of course and 29 teams are going to lose that battle. But nothing is going to help our case more than turning some heads in the playoffs.

People keep saying this like we haven't been making the playoffs for the last 10 years. How many first and second round exits is it going to take until we actually "turn some heads in the playoffs" because I'm starting to think that's just fans talking out their backside so they'll feel better about mediocrity.

I'm sure Lebron is really thinking wow that Kyle Korver(I mean Kyle Kolver because Lebron doesn't even care enough to know his real name) and Elton Brand are doing big things in the ATL. I'm sure Kevin Love would love to play with a less talented PG than Rubio and just as mediocre team because we once again made it to the playoffs in a pathetic conference. I'm sure Melo says to himself "well if I have to be on a mediocre team then I should just go to Atlanta instead of staying with the Knicks because the city of New York just doesn't offer up anything outside of basketball that a professional athlete would be interested in.

Ferry seems to be willing to sell decent at best talent on a "plan" which is fine I guess but at some point the fans need to be aware of what the plan is or we just have to assume we're still on the treadmill. We already know that we aren't getting significant talent from the draft and we don't have the assets or the draft picks to trade for talent so what you and the other anti-tankers are trying to tell me is that Ferry is going to somehow talk a superstar into coming to Atlanta to play with Korver and Brand? We've had Horford for a while and he hasn't attracted a star player and Millsap isn't even a factor because he won't be on the team after next season.

So the plan that we keep hearing about is that Ferry is magically going to talk a top flight free agent into coming to Atlanta when there's absolutely no proof that it's even a realistic possibility? Or that Horford is going to keep playing center, which he's not a fan of and pissing off our best player seems like it wouldn't end well, with MIllsap and that our healthy team is good enough to knock off the best in the NBA. I'm sure you can understand why this all seems a little too good to be true and where the skepticism is coming from...

• Like 4

• Moderators

People keep saying this like we haven't been making the playoffs for the last 10 years. How many first and second round exits is it going to take until we actually "turn some heads in the playoffs" because I'm starting to think that's just fans talking out their backside so they'll feel better about mediocrity.

I'm sure Lebron is really thinking wow that Kyle Korver(I mean Kyle Kolver because Lebron doesn't even care enough to know his real name) and Elton Brand are doing big things in the ATL. I'm sure Kevin Love would love to play with a less talented PG than Rubio and just as mediocre team because we once again made it to the playoffs in a pathetic conference. I'm sure Melo says to himself "well if I have to be on a mediocre team then I should just go to Atlanta instead of staying with the Knicks because the city of New York just doesn't offer up anything outside of basketball that a professional athlete would be interested in.

Ferry seems to be willing to sell decent at best talent on a "plan" which is fine I guess but at some point the fans need to be aware of what the plan is or we just have to assume we're still on the treadmill. We already know that we aren't getting significant talent from the draft and we don't have the assets or the draft picks to trade for talent so what you and the other anti-tankers are trying to tell me is that Ferry is going to somehow talk a superstar into coming to Atlanta to play with Korver and Brand? We've had Horford for a while and he hasn't attracted a star player and Millsap isn't even a factor because he won't be on the team after next season.

So the plan that we keep hearing about is that Ferry is magically going to talk a top flight free agent into coming to Atlanta when there's absolutely no proof that it's even a realistic possibility? Or that Horford is going to keep playing center, which he's not a fan of and pissing off our best player seems like it wouldn't end well, with MIllsap and that our healthy team is good enough to knock off the best in the NBA. I'm sure you can understand why this all seems a little too good to be true and where the skepticism is coming from...

Addressing your points as well as others.

- we have never turned any heads in the playoffs except maybe that 7 game celtic series. every other appearance ended at best as expected or more often in total embarrassment

- even if we'd had a good showing it wouldn't have mattered because our team was already full of big money contracts so the only FAs we'd be looking for would be mid level guys anyway.

- i'm not saying that guys want to come play with Korver and Brand. I'm saying that those are two guys who normally never would have considered the Hawks but they signed on. Why?

- a real showing in the playoffs where we take a team to the limit or beat a team that we have no business beating can make bigtime players think 'well they are pretty damn good without a star and they have MONEY to give me.

• Like 1

We aren't signing a superstar in free agency unless we already have one here. Which, btw, we currently do not.

Again, show me the Super Star that attracted another Super Star to a bad situation in FA? DWADE and The Beard. That is it. Not Dirk, Lebron, Durant, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Dwight, or Rose. None of the young guys. It doesn't happen like you guys claim it does. Kyrie is alone. The Brow is alone. These guys will continue to be alone unless a trade can be made to get them another star.

• Premium Member

Again, show me the Super Star that attracted another Super Star to a bad situation in FA? DWADE and The Beard. That is it. Not Dirk, Lebron, Durant, Chris Paul, Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Dwight, or Rose. None of the young guys. It doesn't happen like you guys claim it does. Kyrie is alone. The Brow is alone. These guys will continue to be alone unless a trade can be made to get them another star.

You do realize you are only showing how much harder it is to depend on signing one in free agency as opposed to drafting one. A superstar that is.

You do realize you are only showing how much harder it is to depend on signing one in free agency as opposed to drafting one. A superstar that is.

No because look at that list.....only 3 guys won the title with their team. I see a bunch of guys who were traded or just moved on from the original "lucky" team.