• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Horford take a page out of Milsap's book this offseason?

JTB

While we are eagerly waiting for game 7, I was wondering if our center Al Horford should develop the 3pt shot over the off season like Milsap did last off season?

Why do I ask?

Because of Spencer Hawes!!!..of course!! LOL no honestly now that I look at it I wanted Hawes but it will not make this team better due to sap being at sf or off the bench, so Im over the Spencer Hawes stuff! (would still be a nice backup center though) However my point of wanting our BIGS (PF,C) to be able to hit the 3 ball still makes a ton of sense and I wouldn't mention it if I didn't think it could be done.

Two HUGE things Sap's newly 3 ball skill set has done for this team?

-when heathy horford get more one on one opportunities in the post and won't have to worry about help defense coming over very often because the floor is spread and when it does come we have 4 guys that can knock down the 3 ball he can kick it to.

-Teague's Penetration!…the less crowed the paint, the more Teague will score back to back to back to back…….

-IN OTHER WORDS THE LANE IS WIDE OPEN

So unlike Pero, Horford is a consistent shooter and unlike Hawes, horford can play good defense and rebound very well. So what if our 2 time all star center develops the 3 ball skill set? What does that do for the team?

-Milsap will have more one on one opportunities in the post.

-Teague will have more opportunities to score at will

-Horford will take away that so called true center from doing what he does best in rebounding and protecting the rim.

-If we draft or pick up a slashing SG, he will have more opportunities at the goal to score.

Now Im not saying...

-horford should start taking five 3's a game! maybe more like 1-2 per game shall he develop the 3 ball.

Horford should still be mainly used as a post and mid range shooter but if he develop the 3 ball he can really spread the floor and help his penetrating teammates like Teague see more open lanes and sap see many one on one post up opportunities without the help defense, and possibly make defenses play smaller against us. What do you think? Give me your honest opinion.

He already did last offseason and showed it off. He's a threat from 3.

Really?

I understand that he can hit a 3 (he's a good shooter) but did he really show off his 3 ball talent cause thats something I know I probably would remember.

Al said he can shoot the 3, just hasn't.

I still don't want Al camping at the 3pt line ala Pero. Al has too much versatility unlike Pero.

PnP, PnR, he can slip the screen and get to the basket for a dunk. Al has good hands so all the passes that Pero has flubbed Al won't.

Al also moves well without the ball - so even if he sets up from 3, Teague penetrates, Al moves to the rim when his man leaves, Teague finds him for an easy shot.

Al said he can shoot the 3, just hasn't.

I still don't want Al camping at the 3pt line ala Pero. Al has too much versatility unlike Pero.

PnP, PnR, he can slip the screen and get to the basket for a dunk. Al has good hands so all the passes that Pero has flubbed Al won't.

Al also moves well without the ball - so even if he sets up from 3, Teague penetrates, Al moves to the rim when his man leaves, Teague finds him for an easy shot.

Hmmmm….

I wasn't aware of any of this. Never knew Al said that he can shoot the 3 but just chooses not too. Interesting, well if all that is true this thread is officially a waste!

Hmmmm.

I wasn't aware of any of this. Never knew Al said that he can shoot the 3 but just chooses not too. Interesting, well if all that is true this thread is officially a waste!

Lol.

Any time you can add another weapon that works to your arsenal,

why would you not do it?

No, we wouldn't want him out behind the arch all the time, waiting

for that opportunity to take another three, but if he occasionally

steps back and drains the three, all our opponents will have something

else to worry them.

music.gif

• Admin

He is one of the best mid range shooters in the league. I don't think we need him out on the 3 point line too.

I would rather have at least one guy inside or at least at the mid range instead of standing out on the 3 point line

I'll let the coaching staff be the judge, but I'd say no because the team and Al himself will be better served focusing on his post game, which will be easier now with Sap passing on some knowledge. He wishes he had Al's length, Al wishes he had Sap's butt.

One of the replies to the link was interesting about the analytical data suggesting you can offensive rebound better off threes than long twos, though. That's what I'm concerned about. If you're getting a good share of the long rebounds and loose balls off misses, then I have no problem. The best three to take is off an offensive rebound I'm pretty sure.

Al has just lost so much time in his career, damn near 2 seasons. That post game has got to catch up to his post D, rebounding, and mid-range game. His contemporary, Aldridge, doesn't shoot em. 4s and 5s shooting threes more times than not is based on taking less punishment and increasing scoring (translation: being selfish.). The last thing is want for Al is to come down with Bargnani's Syndrome.

Edited by benhillboy

I'll let the coaching staff be the judge, but I'd say no because the team and Al himself will be better served focusing on his post game, which will be easier now with Sap passing on some knowledge. He wishes he had Al's length, Al wishes he had Sap's butt.

One of the replies to the link was interesting about the analytical data suggesting you can offensive rebound better off threes than long twos, though. That's what I'm concerned about. If you're getting a good share of the long rebounds and loose balls off misses, then I have no problem. The best three to take is off an offensive rebound I'm pretty sure.

Al has just lost so much time in his career, damn near 2 seasons. That post game has got to catch up to his post D, rebounding, and mid-range game. His contemporary, Aldridge, doesn't shoot em. 4s and 5s shooting threes more times than not is based on taking less punishment and increasing scoring (translation: being selfish.). The last thing is want for Al is to come down with Bargnani's Syndrome.

Well I'm not saying he should camp around the 3pt line...just have the ability to hit it when the opportunity is there. Other than that like I said yeah they need to focus more on his post game.

In my opinion, if there's ANYTHING Al needs to take from Millsap, it would be to take advantage of mismatches when being guarded by slower players and not just jab step a hole in the ground. angry2.gif

Lol ok no arguments there....I agree! Lol

But ya know I don't recall him jab stepping too much when he was playing this year. Maybe coach bud already got to him about this or maybe I'm wrong....don't really remember

Edited by JTB

We have too many guys shooting 3s already and no threat of a guy who can punish you inside. This series wouldn't be going to a game 7 if Indy hadn't been so hard headed and adjusted earlier to the Hawks by going small.

We have too many guys shooting 3s already and no threat of a guy who can punish you inside. This series wouldn't be going to a game 7 if Indy hadn't been so hard headed and adjusted earlier to the Hawks by going small.

Spurs have a lot of 3 point shooting as well.... they just have better shooters

Let us look at our shooters.

Mike Scott: 31%

Shelvin Mack: 33%

Pero Antić: 33%

Louis Williams: 34%

Jeff Teague: 33%

Paul Millsap: 36%

Demarre Carroll: 36%

Kyle Korver: 47%

The league average is 36% so we have 1 elite, 2 average, and 5 below average or worse shooters in our rotation. Not gonna cut it for a 3 pt shooting team. Something that definitely needs to be addressed in the offseason.