• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

True Center you say?....huh

JTB

I'm watching gortat and nene basically two true centers in a wizards starting lineup that can't get it done, yet so many want gortat....I honestly don't get why!

Ya know I want a true center too but I rather have one off the bench to throw in against big body centers like Hibbert. Other than that I like the coach bud strategy to spread the true center away from the goal that way his best abilities are taken away from him cause most true centers aren't good offensive players.

For all the want for a true center the wizards vs pacers series should change your thoughts. A true center like Hibbert constantly around the goal on both ends will do nothing but motivate him and make him comfortable. I would like a player like hawes as you know but honestly I just want to make sure horford stays starting at center as I see it as a benefit for the hawks to spread the floor.

Horford would do better than nene and gortat at center against Hibbert and you can bank on that cause we've seen him do it.

• Moderators

You want the true center for defense and rebounds, not so much for offense. With Horford/Sap/Teague and then sign Granger or Gay and that right there is worth 65 ppg. Build up a bench that can give you another 25 ppg and get 8-10 from Mr. True Center and right there is 98-100 ppg. Kinda why I'm starting to think Monroe or Hawes would make almost no sense for the Hawks. We don't really need offense, just defense from the starters and offense from the bench. We need a Gortat or Asik and then Granger at 2 to move both KK and DMC to the bench.

C - Gortat/Asik type

PF - Horford

SF - Sap

SG - Granger

PG - Teague

6th - KK

7th - DMC

8th - Scott

9th - Mack

10th - Pero

11th - Schröder

12th - Muscala

13th - Bebe/2014 first round pick

That's good enough to give Miami problems and seriously compete with Indy for a 2nd seed. Having Mack/KK/DMC/Scott/Pero as your second unit is stellar.

You want the true center for defense and rebounds, not so much for offense. With Horford/Sap/Teague and then sign Granger or Gay and that right there is worth 65 ppg. Build up a bench that can give you another 25 ppg and get 8-10 from Mr. True Center and right there is 98-100 ppg. Kinda why I'm starting to think Monroe or Hawes would make almost no sense for the Hawks. We don't really need offense, just defense from the starters and offense from the bench. We need a Gortat or Asik and then Granger at 2 to move both KK and DMC to the bench.

C - Gortat/Asik type

PF - Horford

SF - Sap

SG - Granger

PG - Teague

6th - KK

7th - DMC

8th - Scott

9th - Mack

10th - Pero

11th - Schröder

12th - Muscala

13th - Bebe/2014 first round pick

That's good enough to give Miami problems and seriously compete with Indy for a 2nd seed. Having Mack/KK/DMC/Scott/Pero as your second unit is stellar.

But honestly gortat isn't playing good defense against Hibbert.

Hibbert seems more discombobulated when he worries on the defensive end cause he can't close out on bigs that can shoot. You have to think that making a true center play on the perimeter will definitely break their confidence...because defense is what they do best! If Hibbert as well as any true center is worried about their man on the perimeter and they are constantly stepping out on the perimeter then their best abilities to rebound and protect the rim our gone.

Unless you guys are saying we need a rim protector more so because of quick guards and not true centers...that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Personally I think if you keep a true center around the goal ALL game that does nothing but makes him more and more comfortable throughout the game.

Edited by JTB

If I ask that someone define a "true" center, I'll bet I would get a lot of

different answers. "Well, he's got to be like ___________ who I think is

a true center."

In a simple quiz we once had in school gave us two choices, true or false.

Does this mean that any player who plays center and is not a "true" center

is a "false" center? It's just gotta be. True or false?

Does size make him a true center? Wing span? Jumping ability? Being

a lot bigger than everyone else, AKA Superman of the Heat?

Would I like to have this great big, strong dude who can really clear the boards

and protect the rim for our Hawks? Sure, but only if he's a "true" center and I

have no idea who would really fit that description for everyone, do you?

• Like 3

• Moderators

But honestly gortat isn't playing good defense against Hibbert.

Hibbert seems more discombobulated when he worries on the defensive end cause he can't close out on bigs that can shoot. You have to think that making a true center play on the perimeter will definitely break their confidence...because defense is what they do best! If Hibbert as well as any true center is worried about their man on the perimeter and they are constantly stepping out on the perimeter then their best abilities to rebound and protect the rim our gone.

Unless you guys are saying we need a rim protector more so because of quick guards and not true centers...that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Personally I think if you keep a true center around the goal ALL game that does nothing but makes him more and more comfortable throughout the game.

This is why Indy may be the least useful team in the league against which to have a true center. You could use one to create mismatches against teams like Miami or to deal with more offensive minded or more rebounding competent big men. Hibbert's value is D close to the basket on his man and in help situations. This all presumes we are talking about an ordinary true C.

Hibbert can't exploit a perimeter big man because he is not an impact guy on offense and isn't that great a rebounder.

Exactly but don't you see most so called true centers like that?...can't exploit a perimeter Big man because they aren't an impact guy on the offense end and not great rebounders?...I completely agree I really do!

I can name a bunch of Roy Hibberts! But very few centers are in the 20/10 range.

Perkins, javale mcgee, Larry sanders, Lopez brothers, etc...none of these guys rebound better than our own al horford and if we had a perimeter big that could knock down his shots consistently known of these guys other than brook Lopez can impact the offense side of the ball.

If I'm ferry I would sign hawes plus the so called true center type to our bench for next season and exploit the league! Having just a rebounding machine like asik or just a gortat ain't good enough to me, we need both.

• Moderators

Would there be this fixation on 'true' centers if Horford hadn't said (years ago) that he wanted to be a 4? Despite that desire he signed here. How many centers can we bring in that combined with Horford at the 4 are a better front court than Milsap/Horford? I'm more interested in a solid backup center who can matchup on the nights we play Dwight or one of those guys. I'm hoping Bebe / Antić fills that role. And spend our money on a wing that can score.

• Like 1

Would there be this fixation on 'true' centers if Horford hadn't said (years ago) that he wanted to be a 4? Despite that desire he signed here. How many centers can we bring in that combined with Horford at the 4 are a better front court than Milsap/Horford? I'm more interested in a solid backup center who can matchup on the nights we play Dwight or one of those guys. I'm hoping Bebe / Antić fills that role. And spend our money on a wing that can score.

Im not against this by any means, in fact I love the idea of spending the money on a wing player instead. I guess I like the idea of spreading a "true center" like howard or hibbert away from the goal cause it takes them completely away from their strongest abilities. I just wish Antić was a better 3pt shooter, so I liked the thought of bringing in Hawes when we play "true centers" or bigger centers I should say.

To me its al about making them adjust to us instead of trying to adjust to them. Take the blazers vs rockets series, howard couldn't be a force at the defense end to protect the goal because LA (L.Aldrige) was destroying them from the perimeter even though they were long twos.

So you can see why I stress for a perimeter BIG especially in coach buds system! Its very hard to defend especially for "true so called centers" like howard/hibbert type.

But all that said we don't have to get hawes or another 3pt Big to pull that off as horford should be able to do the same. Add a scoring wing player like Rudy Gay and we are good to go

• Premium Member

It's not about a series or a matchup. It's the constant in basketball. IF you have these players, your team can win. We suck at rebounding and low post scoring. We will need a true Center/rim protector to man the middle and help us over come those deficient area... Pure and simple.

We can't look at Washington because they are a different team with different coaching. We can only imagine how we would use a big.

This same topic has had countless threads over the years as we've pined away for a true big man. Just not many options. Hawes is probably the most likely candidate. .

An this has been another one of my points. I also believe hawes is probably the most likely candidate we get, followed by gortat now that the wizards look pathetic and disappointing, followed by Monroe because of ferry knowing his agent and in that order.

Then again ferry may wait another off season and get the wing player he wants this off season.

The best true center and possibly the best shooting guard got kicked out of the playoffs in round one, by one of the best point guards and power forwards in the game. Things are changing. If you cannot score from outside, teams just pack it in at the post and dare you to chuck...And you still have to rebound to win championships; but you need more than one player doing that.

Aldridge, Lopez, and Batum were just flat out better than Howard, Jones, and Parsons. There is a reason everyone in the league thought Asik would be moved for a upgrade at power forward; and it was never more apparent than in that first round series.

Edited by Buzzard

With Antić and Muscala coming back, and Lucas possibly coming over, I don't expect Spencer Hawes to be pursued by the Hawks.

Unless Millsap or Horford are traded, I almost agree with you 100%. One other option for Hawes ( or Kaman ) is if Ferry thinks 2015 is when might have to let Millsap go. Hawes or Kaman, signed to cheaper than 9 million a season, would be very good insurance for that.

The above is not my best case for us in free agency; but it is the only way I can see any justification in signing either Hawes or Kaman. And yes I do think Kaman has something left in the tank.

• Like 1

Muscala?????

Muscala will be back. He is a project but not a long term one. If the kid gets his outside shot falling, like he did in college, he is the type of big Ferry likes.