3. Pau Gasol

8. Chris Wilcox

8. TJ Ford

6. Josh Childress

2. Marvin Williams

5. Shelden Williams

3. Al Horford

Wow!!

Some of those guys were picked in Atlanta's slot but didn't play here. Honorable mention: Acie Law.

Very true, I know we traded Pau to Memphis for Shareef. What'd we get for Wilcox and Ford (I didn't even remember we selected them).

I think the Glenn Robinson and Lorenzen Wright trades might ring a bell.

Like I've stated earlier, there's a reason why they usually go with the 'win without losing' approach instead of fully rebuilding. After watching Babs and BK draft so miserably, no one in town trusts this team with high draft picks.

just to pile onto the misery, Horford was the fist drafted Hawk to make the All-Star team since Kevin Willis!

That is not just failure, that is EPIC failure.

Ownership wonders why people don't come out to see this team, that is one of the big issues: putrid drafting.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Well, don't act like the putrid drafting ended with Ferry.

Jenkins. Scott. Bebe. Dennis.

Instead of:

Dieng, Plumlee, Hardaway Jr, Plumlee, Draymond Green, Kris Middleton.

Yeah, there's some reaching going on but the guys who we picked are getting it done (except Scott). I really doubt that we ever bring Bebe over. Dennis feels like a wasted pick. So does Jenkins.

• Like 2

just to pile onto the misery, Horford was the fist drafted Hawk to make the All-Star team since Kevin Willis!

That is not just failure, that is EPIC failure.

Ownership wonders why people don't come out to see this team, that is one of the big issues: putrid drafting.

This, this, and this. If you want to know why Nique could never get by the Celtics, Pistons, and Bulls, the answer's right here. You think guys like Larry Nance, Fat Lever, Karl Malone, Joe Dumars, or Rolando Blackmon could've helped? This franchise has helped create more undeserving millionaires than the Georgia Lottery; well, at least the lottery winners figured out how to pick the right numbers at the right time.

The very fact that one has to go back to Reagan's first term to find the last Hawks draft pick other than Al Horford to make an All-Star game is one not lost on ANYONE. Every person on this forum knows this. Every longtime Hawks fan knows this. Heck, even Wikipedia mentions it. Yet, the national pundits are still trying to figure out why they don't sell out every night and rank near the bottom of attendance???

That's why very few folks here trusts this team with another rebuild. We've seen enough draft scrubs dating back to the Kasten years (see Koncak, Jon) to make us a little squemish...

• Like 2

Instead of:

Yeah, there's some reaching going on but the guys who we picked are getting it done (except Scott). I really doubt that we ever bring Bebe over. Dennis feels like a wasted pick. So does Jenkins.

Way too early to judge. Dennis is going to be a completely different player next year, just watch. Bebe will be a stud. Scott is an awesome 2nd round pick and Jenkins got hurt.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

Instead of:

Its easier to be lenient on Ferry because he hasnt had a pick in the lottery and its not like he passed on anyone who has thus far been more than a role player. Id give Ferry a couple more years before id say hes a failure
  • Like 1

Instead of:

I feel the same way. 4 picks and only one currently contributing. Ferry is getting let off the hook here. Sad that we may repeat our mistakes by taking a guy like Saric this year whose coach says he is not ready to play in the NBA and needs to play against stiffer competition overseas.

Are you seriously comparing 8 consecutive years of top 8 lottery picks to 3-16 plus 1st round picks (1 of which was injured) and 2 2nd round picks?

Way to be intentionally obtuse.

• Premium Member

Very true, I know we traded Pau to Memphis for Shareef. What'd we get for Wilcox and Ford (I didn't even remember we selected them).

Gasol, Wilcox, and Ford were a part of that Babcock mindset. Guy just didn't believe in the draft at all and rather than rebuild, he mortgaged our future for spare parts. The Wilcox deal was centered around Lorenzen Wright and we gave up at least one 1st rounder (for some reason, I'm thinking it was two picks). Had we kept our pick, we could have taken Stoudemire, seleted one spot later. The Ford pick was part of the Glen Robinson trade.

I try to forget the latter years of Babcockery. :(