• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Melo wants a ring, he'll come to the Atlanta Hawks

QuantumHawkz

• Moderators

You're confusing arguments, the only people who have ever come close to mentioning Pierce as a "superstar" are tankers. They use him as an example of the "lottery drafted player that attracts other stars" when Ray had no choice about going to Boston and KG only agreed to Boston after Ray was traded there, Pierce was chump change in that scenario. They use him earning Finals MVP as some sort of evidence but that's an iffy award that goes to anyone who scored a decent amount of points as clearly KG was the MVP of that team just like Wallace when Chauncey won and Duncan when Parker won.

The point I'm making is that Pierce was less accomplished than both KG and Allen. Melo is definitely better than Pierce and Allen but you bring him to Atlanta then you better have a better player in tow. It's very unlikely that Sap can accomplish that with either presence or trade and is also unlikely that Melo will raise the games of others around him given that we have oh about 10 years worth of evidence suggesting otherwise.

You are confusing my arguments on this point as well.

The Finals MVP part is very important because he was a good enough building block to earn that distinction and his clutch scoring was absolutely key to that championship. That is pretty on point.

The part about PP attracting talent is NOT. Wade attracted free agents to sign. PP did not. Boston had lottery assets it moved to get Ray and KG. Boston would not have gotten Allen by trading the #15 pick. Instead, they trade the #5 pick. When stars go on the market, you need young studs, lottery picks, and additional first rounders to be in the mix. You don't do it by trading role players and mid-round firsts.

Back on point:

I could get behind Melo in Atlanta if he is tired of running iso ball and wants to play more like he did in the Olympics. He would be our #1 option but as long as he got his points in Bud's system (and you know Bud would tweak the system to feature him in a position to succeed) then there is no problem with that.

The biggest issue is two things:

(1) Melo will get a max contract and we spent our cap room last year. This isn't insurmountable if we can unload several players, but that can be a challenge without giving up other assets to induce teams to take on the undesirable contracts.

(2) Melo will have other teams higher on his wish list. This is the biggest problem. Why would he go out of his way to come join the 8th seed on the East? He and his wife clearly care about being part of a high profile team (that is why he arranged the trade in Denver) and Atlanta is not a high profile team or in a big market.

This is a pipe dream and the problem is not the basketball side of things so much as the fact that Melo isn't walking through that door when we and 10 other teams line up offering him a max contract.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Team USA Melo bought into the system on offense and defense. Can he do that for an entire season? Will he be willing to sacrifice his individual game for the team? If he wants to WIN he has to - it's what he will have to do regardless of the team he chooses as he will be playing with better talent.

I would definitely not turn him away if he wants to take a pay cut to come to the Hawks because that would mean he likes what DF and Bud sold him on, which means his game will change.

Sometimes these stars need a foot up their *** and allow themselves to be coached.

In Bud's system he will still get his touches - just better ones because of the players around him.

And that's the way I'm looking at it as well. This will put that one piece we've been missing........like when Steven Jackson played for the Spurs.

Dolf, you may be forgetting just how good of a player Melo was before he was asked to be exclusively an iso type player.

Just throwing this out there, but Denver had a better record 2 years after trading Melo than they ever did with him.

• Premium Member

You are confusing my arguments on this point as well.

The Finals MVP part is very important because he was a good enough building block to earn that distinction and his clutch scoring was absolutely key to that championship. That is pretty on point.

The part about PP attracting talent is NOT. Wade attracted free agents to sign. PP did not. Boston had lottery assets it moved to get Ray and KG. Boston would not have gotten Allen by trading the #15 pick. Instead, they trade the #5 pick. When stars go on the market, you need young studs, lottery picks, and additional first rounders to be in the mix. You don't do it by trading role players and mid-round firsts.

Back on point:

I could get behind Melo in Atlanta if he is tired of running iso ball and wants to play more like he did in the Olympics. He would be our #1 option but as long as he got his points in Bud's system (and you know Bud would tweak the system to feature him in a position to succeed) then there is no problem with that.

The biggest issue is two things:

(1) Melo will get a max contract and we spent our cap room last year. This isn't insurmountable if we can unload several players, but that can be a challenge without giving up other assets to induce teams to take on the undesirable contracts.

(2) Melo will have other teams higher on his wish list. This is the biggest problem. Why would he go out of his way to come join the 8th seed on the East? He and his wife clearly care about being part of a high profile team (that is why he arranged the trade in Denver) and Atlanta is not a high profile team or in a big market.

This is a pipe dream and the problem is not the basketball side of things so much as the fact that Melo isn't walking through that door when we and 10 other teams line up offering him a max contract.

I feel what saying......I just don't think others teams have the core that we present in a east. With TOR,CHA and WAS on the come up with the east won't be weak for long.

Melo isn't coming here..."get a ring"...seriously? Atlanta?...Atlanta is where you stop off at the Cheetah on your way to the next game. The city of Atlanta is simply entertainment for these guys...they don't want to mess that up.

Edited by DJlaysitup

It is a pipe dream....duh! But what's wrong with dreaming?

I didn't realize this thread was about realism...I thought we were all on board with just sayin how great it would be if melo came here, took a paycut, and bought into coach buds scheme.

We know melo isn't coming here but regardless of where he goes he's going to have to learn an offense and play within that offense and not break that offense and play the team defense scheme if he wants to win a ring.

Now those who have commented and actually believe in the pipe dream of melo coming here I know how ya feeling. Melo is in his 30s, his time is running out, he's more likely to stay in the weak east than to go back to the west, if you look at the teams in the east the hawks are the best fit for him regardless of what the media says, and teams like the bulls who want him would be a risk for melo because of rosés injury.

There's no doubt the pieces are in place here but melo probably still wouldn't come but it doesn't sadden me cause I felt like ATL was the best place for CP3 and D12 last year too.

I don't see melo winning on the bulls or any other east team not named the hawks. We are the only team with the right players that's needed around him....in my opinion that is.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

It is a pipe dream....duh! But what's wrong with dreaming?

I didn't realize this thread was about realism...I thought we were all on board with just sayin how great it would be if melo came here, took a paycut, and bought into coach buds scheme.

We know melo isn't coming here but regardless of where he goes he's going to have to learn an offense and play within that offense and not break that offense and play the team defense scheme if he wants to win a ring.

Now those who have commented and actually believe in the pipe dream of melo coming here I know how ya feeling. Melo is in his 30s, his time is running out, he's more likely to stay in the weak east than to go back to the west, if you look at the teams in the east the hawks are the best fit for him regardless of what the media says, and teams like the bulls who want him would be a risk for melo because of rosés injury.

There's no doubt the pieces are in place here but melo probably still wouldn't come but it doesn't sadden me cause I felt like ATL was the best place for CP3 and D12 last year too.

I don't see melo winning on the bulls or any other east team not named the hawks. We are the only team with the right players that's needed around him....in my opinion that is.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, just like last season with D12 and CP3 - we laid out the reasons why the Hawks would be a good fit all the while knowing they wouldn't sign here.

Even if Melo stays in NY - he will still have to modify his game especially with Phil wanting to run the triangle.

Please guys just stop. Melo isn't taking a huge pay-cut to come to Atlanta and we shouldn't even remotely consider giving up assets to acquire him in a SnT. I love Melo as much as anyone but he IS NOT a good fit for this team. I've been watching the kid since his 1st game at Syracuse and he's just not the type to fit into a ball movement offense like ours. It would be like adding JJ to this team except even worse and we all know how he wouldn't fit into Bud's system. And don't give me this stuff about how he'd change his game under Bud and Bud would control him because it's not happening. He needs freedom in his game to do what he does and to take the shots that he needs and that's not happening here.

[/thread]

I disagree.. Denver was a motion based offense for years. And please tell me what other options were available on the Syracuse squad? Lebron, Melo, Durant, Rose, Wade, etc. Were all ball dominant majority of their careers. You can't hold that against Melo.

I can definitely see Melo fitting into Buds system. Matter of fact, he's the prototypical player for it. His game is DMCs on steriods. He can shoot, drive and finish, play with his back to the basket, and create offensive board opportunities.

If Melos wise enough to look at our system and see the potential, he would absolutely be a Hawk.

And the league would go into a scramble..

Teague

Melo

DMC/Korver

Sap

Horford

That's an absolutely sick squad that will create mismatches and headaches for any coach. Just imagine the space.... SLASHER HEAVEN! lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I disagree.. Denver was a motion based offense for years. And please tell me what other options were available on the Syracuse squad? Lebron, Melo, Durant, Rose, Wade, etc. Were all ball dominant majority of their careers. You can't hold that against Melo.

I can definitely see Melo fitting into Buds system. Matter of fact, he's the prototypical player for it. His game is DMCs on steriods. He can shoot, drive and finish, play with his back to the basket, and create offensive board opportunities.

If Melos wise enough to look at our system and see the potential, he would absolutely be a Hawk.

Teague

Melo

DMC/Korver

Sap

Horford

That's an absolutely sick squad that will create mismatches and headaches for any coach. Just imagine the space.... SLASHER HEAVEN! lol

I see you put melo at the 2 in your lineup!....I like, I like, I like! Smart move!

DMC defense will be better next year anyways and he needs to start.

• Moderators

Nothing wrong with dreaming, just like last season with D12 and CP3 - we laid out the reasons why the Hawks would be a good fit all the while knowing they wouldn't sign here.

Even if Melo stays in NY - he will still have to modify his game especially with Phil wanting to run the triangle.

The chances of Howard and Paul coming were MUCH better. Why? Because this was their only option to play together and the possibility is very real that two guys at the level would prefer to combine their talents on one team. Ferry's draft reflected the desire to make that happen and I think he was right to save the cap room on the picks until we knew we weren't getting those studs.

This year, there is no realistic possibility that Melo will come at all.

The chances of Howard and Paul coming were MUCH better. Why? Because this was their only option to play together and the possibility is very real that two guys at the level would prefer to combine their talents on one team. Ferry's draft reflected the desire to make that happen and I think he was right to save the cap room on the picks until we knew we weren't getting those studs.

This year, there is no realistic possibility that Melo will come at all.

I never once thought they were coming. I vowed to eat crow any which way - baked, broiled, raw,burnt- if it happened.

I see you put melo at the 2 in your lineup!....I like, I like, I like! Smart move!

DMC defense will be better next year anyways and he needs to start.

It would be the sickest lineup in the East. People aren't giving our system and current players enough credit.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I never once thought they were coming. I vowed to eat crow any which way - baked, broiled, raw,burnt- if it happened.

You were right. But you have to recognize:

(1) Media reports mentioned the Hawks as a real possibility and

(2) there is a rationale line of thought that would make Atlanta stand out from the rest of the crowd and that line of thought has been embraced by other elite players.

Those are two things that will not apply to Melo this offseason.

You were right. But you have to recognize:

(1) Media reports mentioned the Hawks as a real possibility and

(2) there is a rationale line of thought that would make Atlanta stand out from the rest of the crowd and that line of thought has been embraced by other elite players.

Those are two things that will not apply to Melo this offseason.

Well Lala is from the ATL - maybe she decides she wants to come homecrazy.gif

Teague

Melo

DMC/Korver

Sap

Horford

How do we clear the cap room to sign Melo? Lou and who?

Melo will be getting $20+ million.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

How do we clear the cap room to sign Melo? Lou and who?

Melo will be getting $20+ million.

Well this is why it wouldn't happen. Melo got to grow some balls and take a pay cut. If he's all about winning now I expect him to do just that. Maybe not with the hawks but somebody.

• Like 1

It would be the sickest lineup in the East. People aren't giving our system and current players enough credit.

Honestly man I don't think it's the system. I think it's the money. Melo has to be willing to take a major paycut and that's probably asking too much at that point.

Honestly man I don't think it's the system. I think it's the money. Melo has to be willing to take a major paycut and that's probably asking too much at that point.

Even Phil Jackson said that melo has to take a paycut if he returns to the Knicks if they want to be future contenders.

Well this is why it wouldn't happen. Melo got to grow some balls and take a pay cut. If he's all about winning now I expect him to do just that. Maybe not with the hawks but somebody.

The Knicks are also expecting him to take a pay cut also. His max with them is 5yrs/129 mil - $25.8 mil per.

If he goes to another team it's a 4 year deal, so I doubt he takes much of a pay cut since he'll be losing the extra year.